FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Secret Santa... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Dear Secret Santa...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Page cannot be found?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Better?

[ December 13, 2005, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Very pretty!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
kiire...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
kiire
I'm gonna assume you mean kirei [Wink]

And yes, nice scarf, although I imagine my colorblindness is detracting from a red tone somewhere in there.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as you guys must know, I am eternally grateful to TomDavidson for getting me such a perfect gift. Seriously, I never thought I'd get Angel Cage, I have wanted that book for the last 5 years of my life and Tom was kind enough to get me that book! I had thought of getting that book for me as a Christmas present to myself. I guess not anymore!! I love you TomDavidson!!!!(in the most appropriate way of course) [Wink]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Neh, so maybe it's sunrise. [Dont Know]

Yeah, sunrise. That's what I meant of course. [Blushing]
[Wink]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, Alt. I'm glad you liked it. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

So, Son of Shvester, tell me more about the CD you sent. I'm listening to it right now and the music is very relaxing (though of course I can't understand a word they are saying. [Smile] )
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Val, linky still no worky. [Frown]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My person should be getting their gift today, or possibly tomorrow.

::impatient::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
SarcasticMuppet- I just got your CD this morning.
I was not expecting that. XD How did you come up with that?
Never really heard Indian music before, but I'm quickly becoming a fan. Can you reccommend anything else?

Thank you so much!

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't work for me etiher. EDIT : his was an answer to Shani, the link is not working.
I hope my person will have his/her package soon! *can't wait*

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Who is the CD of?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Were you talking to me?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think mine has come, but it is in the office, which was closed by the time I got home last night. I'll pick it up this evening and post tomorrow. [Smile]

Unless that's an entirely different package. I suppose that's possible.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by aiua:
Were you talking to me?

Yep.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see the pic of the scarf either, not that I really need to since I made it and all. But I want to.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Let's try this again.

So, Photobucket isn't so reliable.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That is gorgeous! *small voice* I want one. *plots of ways to curry favor with breyerchic*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Ooh pretty!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You MADE that!!?? Wow. I'm impressed. How can I make pretty things like that?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, can i be in evil cahoots with your ex-boss and say "I'll make you one when you get married" Or if you just keep plotting.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
val, *cough*flickr*cough*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Tante, I used the website www.dharmatrading.com Bought lots of goodies, all on belle's reccomendations, and just started painting. Actually that one started out as an 8x54 sheet of silk habotai, already hemmed, so I just had to wash it with special stuff (synthrapol), spray it wet, brush the paints on all pretty, and sprinkle it with salt. Really if anyone is interested, not that I'm a total authority yet, but email me.
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Kat, can i be in evil cahoots with your ex-boss and say "I'll make you one when you get married"
*laugh* They are conspiring!

I'll have to think of someway to make it worth your while. Probably right after Christmas. [Smile]

KarlEd
Member # 571

Wow, breyerchic, that is pretty. [Smile]

must . . . not. . . start. . . new. . . hobby. . .

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Hehe Karl, I think I've done it all, and my relatives get something I've made every year, so this year it was this, so they don't get bored with my old presents. Maybe some year I'll host a jatraquero craft workshop. I would now if I had somewhere to do it.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Aiua: I'm glad you're enjoying it. I've become a huge fan of Bollywood in the past year or so, and am working towards converting the world... [Evil Laugh]

A good intro to Bollywood films might be "Bride and Prejudice", which is the Jane Austen novel set to a Bollywood musical. It's directed by the same person who did "Bend it like Beckham". I like the music, but was somewhat turned off by the fact that most of the lyrics were in English. The style of music lends itself so much better to Hindi. But like I said, it's a good intro to the genre. Then watch some Koran Johar films -- I have this one, and love it. [Smile]

Merry Christmas!

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

We have a professor here who specializes in world music, who spent five years in India. He is actually teaching a winter term class on Bollywood... he said that usually when a Bollywood film is coming out in India, the soundtrack comes out six months early. That way, by the time the movie rolls around, everyone knows all the music, and is really pumped, and everyone sings along in the movie theatre.

That sounds like SO much fun! [Smile] I wish Hollywood did that. That sounds like quite an experience.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
The soundtrack to Monsoon Wedding is a great place to get more of the fun Bollywood sound. Annie introduced me to that a couple years ago.

*sniffle* I miss her.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Karl, sent you an e-mail.

Dang, I do NOT want to start doing silks! That's so pretty, breyer.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Shvester
Member # 8489

- posted      Profile for Son of Shvester   Email Son of Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
KarlEd, the writing on the back of the CD, as well as most of the lyrics, are in Hebrew. As for the band, they are an all Jewish band who play a lot of classic Jewish songs (they do change the tunes a bit, and you can probably find the traditional melodies on google, but I think that their tunes are better). The drummer in Shaz happened to be the guidance counselor at my old school. As for the lyrics, I don't remember the songs or how they go (I used to own a copy of the CD, but I lost it over the years) but I think a lot of the lyrics come from Jewish prayers. If you tell me the titles of the songs that you like, I can tell you what the titles mean.

What do you think of the music?

Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated Bride and Prejudice. It's a really really watered down version of Bollywood movies and isn't anywhere near as good as the real thing. [Frown] It's not an actual Bollywood movie - it was produced by English Indians and billed as a UK/US production with Bollywood actors & actresses.

Fahim says that yes, it's true that the soundtracks come out about six months early. He also told me that there's no real music industry in India aside from the Bollywood soundtracks when compared to the US, so the popular artists all do music for Bollywood movies. Also, all soundtracks contain original music, unlike Hollywood, which tends to use a fair bit of already-released music. And yes, the soundtracks for the Bollywood movies can be insanely popular and the tunes very catchy. We haven't been to a movie theatre here - we watch movies at home. And Fahim always sings along with the songs, whether he knows them or not! It's actually cute! [Smile] And he waves his arms around, pretending to dance from the comfort of our couch.

We have a thread on Bollywood Musicals that you can check out if you're interested in seeing more. I've stopped posting in it with more reviews because it seemed like I was the only one posting. We watch a new Bollywood movie probably every other week (I've seen at least 50 or 60 by now, probably more). We're currently alternating Hollywood/Bollywood/Hollywood/Tamil/Hollywood/other foreign language because we have so many movies we haven't watched that aren't English/Hollywood.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Kind of a weird coincidence, but lately I've been into Indian music-kind of. Actually, I've been looking for some to add to my very limited collection. There was a song in a Christmas ER episode. The doctor played by Parminder Nagra ( Bend it Like Beckham) said it was Indian Rap. Phil recognized the song from a Mountain Dew commerical staring Steven Segal. He finally found it. It's called Mundian To Bach Ke by Punjabi MC.

Quid, or others, can you recommend some more?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest checking out the Bollywood musicals thread and picking out the soundtracks from any of the movies listed there. For that matter, when you rent Bollywood movies on DVD, you can also watch just the song and dancing to get a better idea of the music you like. But then, if you end up liking Hindi music, you'll most likely end up liking Bollywood movies, too.

Punjabi MC is non-movie music usually released by artists themselves. Most mainstream music is from the movies.

There are also, apparently, a lot of sites with Bollywood music available for download. There is a vast range of music within Hindi music - some old, slow classic stuff, techno stuff, some more lyrical, and so on and so forth. It's difficult to recommend based on your liking one song. [Smile] If you have a list of other Hindi songs you like, please let me know and I can get Fahim to give you better recommendations.

You can also do a Google search on Hindi music download or mp3 and that should do the trick. Fahim mentioned P2P sites as well, but start with that and if you need more help/info, let me know. [Smile]

Fahim knows a lot of Hindi music, and he spouted off a lot of that with more details faster than I could get it typed in. Sorry! He's working right now, so this isn't the best time to get him involved.

If you like, we can resurrect the Bollywood Musicals thread and toss the conversation over there rather than clogging up this thread.

And I think I need to start writing up at least short reviews on foreign movies we watch, like (French) Taxi and Taxi 2 by Luc Besson - absolutly hilarious, and far far far far better than the Hollywood version with Queen Latifah. The comedy is excellent, the characters are excellent, plot development is far better, and man, it was just a whole lot of fun to watch. [Big Grin] If you liked Hollywood's Taxi, you'll LOVE France's Taxi. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Got my present today... Thanks ctm! It is different, but I'm glad because I actually *like* different! I had hoped my "what I want" post conveyed that.

For everyone else, it is a stained wooden plate, one half dark wood with the grains flowing into the other side, the other half light wood cut so that the grains look like clouds. And the 2 sides are joined up the middle with dovetail notches. It was made by an artist (N. Roth) where ctm lives in WI.

I have a lot of stained wood in my house so it actually fits very well. And woodworking is something I enjoy and do every now and then too... [Smile]

Thank you ctm! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Son of Shvester:
If you tell me the titles of the songs that you like, I can tell you what the titles mean.

Well, the titles are:

Heenay Mah Tov, Yishmor, Mekolot, Poteach, Ani, Ashrecha, and Ezri. (Not including the one song in English, Now I Found You.) If I had to guess, I'd guess that they are names for the particular scriptural passages they cite, but that's just a wild guess. What do they mean? (The lyrics are printed in English alongside the Hebrew on the inside cover, but the titles aren't translated.)

quote:
What do you think of the music?
I like it. It's good relaxation music. It sounds like it has elements of jazz, light rock, and a touch of techno (kinda hidden in the background). The singing reminds me, interestingly, of many of the Christian pop singers I've heard. I wonder if it's the common element of earnest reverence for what they're singing. But I knew from the translation inside the cover that the lyrics are religious so that could just be my expectation bleeding through. It makes me wish I could hear the Christian stuff without understanding the language and see if I'd make the same comparison. [Big Grin]
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
human_2.0, I'm glad you like it! I'll be honest, I was agonizing over what to get you and was even going to chicken out and get legos, then I remembered seeing Nate Roth work at out local art center. I don't know why I thought of it, and although your "what I want" list definitely conveyed "different", nothing suggested wood-working! But I followed my instincts, and I'm glad...

What sort of wood-working do you do?

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Still haven't picked up my prezzie from the office, as I didn't get home last night until long after it had closed. I can pick it up today, though, so I'll post tomorrow.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Dragon!!!

I received my gift yesterday (haven't had a spare moment to hit the 'Rack). A wonderfully squishy moose (you know those things that are, I dunno what they're called, but like super-squishy beanbag thingamajigs) and a magic beanstalk! No, really!

The moose is additionally cool because each other member of my family already has two of those squishy things, and I didn't have any! And I've already started growing the plant (well, I followed the directions and poured water on it), which will have a magic fortune appear on a bean! If that ain't a magic beanstalk, I don't know what is. Plus there was this guy trying to trade me a cow for it, but I said no way!

I'll follow up when I know what the message is. *smile* But again, thank you! I love them!

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus I got my package today!! Thank you!! He got me candy/food/snacks from "around the world" (aka Epcot Center).

I haven't tried all the different candies yet, but they look so good. I like how you wrapped each little Italian one separately [Razz] . Also, the Mexican fruit candies are pretty good, I like the zing at the end because of the spiciness (wow I just ate a green one, man that was awesome!). The sesame flour cakes are cool, they remind me of rice krispie treats, but sesame flavored. And I absolutely love coffee and maple flavored things so high five for those.

Thanks again! I've been sick for the past 4 days, so this definately made my day better. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*checks people off list of possible secret gifters*

And the suspense builds. [Big Grin] I love this.

And I can't wait to hear what Emma's giftee thinks of his/her gift-- which she did indeed choose all by herself. *giggles*

human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What sort of wood-working do you do?
I did some of the oak window molding in my house, cutting, sanding, staining. And I've done some carving, and I've made an Indian double chambered flute. I only do it once a green moon, which only happens about once every 2 years.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much human_2.0!!!

I arrived home to find a box waiting for me - even addressed to ludosti!! My tinniest kitten was using all her kitty powers to tell me that there were styrofoam peanuts inside (something she is obsessed with). I probably had to take her off the table about 8 times before getting to actually open my box!! Inside I found a box of wonderful dark chocolates and a beautiful rain stick (with a very fun and colorful sun on it)!!! I've always wanted one because I love the sounds they make, so this was a perfect gift! I even had fun demonstrating it for the cats (since hubby is asleep) - one thinks it's wonderful, one is both afraid and intrigued, and the other is hiding so she hasn't heard it yet. Chocolate, of course, is always perfect, especially when it's dark [Big Grin]

*giant hug* Thanks so much for brightening my day!!!

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When did this happen? I went out to get the mail, and there's a slip saying I missed a package for Emma! I've been in the living room since about 10 o'clock this morning; this is rather annoying. Oh, well, we'll get it tomorrow, I guess.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
It came! It came! It came!

I came home from work and went out to get the mail. In my mailbox is the package box key. I'm thinking, "Ooh! Maybe it's from my secret Santa!"

As soon as I saw the box, I was thinking, "It's from FRANCE! [Eek!] It's from France!"

I rushed inside, grinning from ear to ear, to open it. I didn't recognize the name in the return address, and everything else was in French.

When I opened it, there was a post card, a very cute teddy bear, five candies, and four wrappers. I guess the bear did get hungry. [Wink]

Thank you for the kind note and the beautiful gifts, Choobak! I almost don't want to eat the candy because it's special candy from France. When will I ever have French candy in my house again?

And I'm sure the baby will love the soft bear. Maybe he will cuddle with it on his first nights at home.

[Big Grin] < --- me

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome Papa, and please do keep us posted as the the progress of that magic bean... I really am curious to see how it works. (Though I suppose I could always go buy one for myself)
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon, where'd you get the bean?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.