FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is driving me crazy

Author Topic: This is driving me crazy
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
My right ear is halfway plugged. Not so much that I can't hear through it, but enough that every time I breathe, I hear air moving through it.

I have tried q-tips, blowing my nose, yawning, swallowing, everything. It has been plugged for about an hour now. The only thing that seems to work is coughing violently (when I don't actually have a cough), and even then it only unplugs for a minute or two.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
When did it get plugged? If it's water, you can try putting some water in it and then getting it out. Another thing that works if it's a water plug is alcohol (the kind you get a at a pharmacy, I'm not resposible for people putting Kahlua in their ears). Just put a tiny bit of alcohol in your ear and let it sit there for 30 seconds or so and it will get rid of the water, then just tilt your head the other way and voila, alcohol comes out and the water's all gone.

I've done this before when I had a really annoying case of water in my ear for like three days straight, it really helped [Big Grin]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
It can't be water because it just started about an hour ago, and I am sitting at my desk at work. I haven't been in water since last night.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a decongestant? I often get plugged ears when I have a cold/seasonal allergies.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto         Edit/Delete Post 
Might be wax, in which case Q-tips can make it worse. You might want to try a wax removal kit.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try the Valsalva maneuver? It works for me, usually. Unless it's ear wax, in which case you're kind of hosed.

You don't want to put anything solid in your ear canal (really, including Q-tips; my college education was paid for by people who don't realize what a bad idea that is), so you can try the over-the-counter ear wax dissolvers, or just plain salt water.

Worst case scenario, doctors have this high powered water jet that'll clean you out.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Afrin Nasal Spray, FOLLOW THE LABEL DIRECTIONS!! Like, use only 2 sprays per nostril, no more frequently than every 12 hours, for no longer than three days. Then, throw the bottle away. Even though there is plenty of medicine left. You don't want to use it again after your nose germs have been having a party in there.

Sudafed, 2 tabs at breakfast and in the early afternoon. Unless Sudafed gets you high and jittery, in which case, just go with the Afrin. But seriously, don't abuse the Afrin -- it can be addictive if you do.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I doubt I can take Sudafed while pregnant.

And yes, I did try the Valsalva maneuver. I didn't know it was called that, though.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. Forgot about the expecting part. Forget the recommnedations above for drugs -- do nothing without checking with your doctor first.

Your blood volume increased by something like 40% when you are expecting. And all that extra blood volume can lead to a feeling of congestion.

Saline nasal spray (like "Ocean" or "Ayr") is safe to use, and might turn out to be effective. Chicken soup is rumored to be decongesting (taken orally -- do not snort it. The noodles may increase any existing congestion)

The valsalva maneuver is unlikely to bring anything but momentary relief.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone,

My cousin is at ~20 weeks and her OB/GYN gave her Flonase for her cold. When I was pregnant, my OB gave me phenergan dm. Phenergan dm is still my favorite decongestant/cough/nausea medicine.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone, if you think it's ear wax, try hydrogen peroxide, just a few drops, let it sit for 10-15 seconds, then drain it out. It's cheap and dissolves wax , though it is a bit noisy.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.