FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fried eggs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fried eggs
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
When I make them, they tend to have a kind of rubbery layer on top, which I have to peel off before eating. And sometimes it sticks, which is nasty. Does anyone know how to avoid this?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never noticed a rubbery layer on fried eggs, maybe I do it differently than you.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Use lower heat, and a well greased pan (PAM is your friend). It takes longer to cook, but you avoid the layer.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my eggs over easy, but I must say, I use butter, and quite a large dollop of it, when I fry eggs. i do not make them often, but is a butter fest when I do. So, of course I would suggest more butter.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I always use low heat, but next time I will try more butter. Thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
erosomniac's got it. low heat, longer period of time, Pam the heck out of your pan, and above all, flip without fear (unless you like broken yolks)
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
I like erosomniac's eggs! Do what he said!
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the butter, after the eggs have fried a bit, I toss a tablespoon or so of water in the pan and cover it tightly for about a minute. The top is nice, soft and white rather than rubbery. You'll have to experiment with the lenth of time you steam the eggs, depending on how soft you want the yolks.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could scramble.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
A rubbery layer? What the heck??
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... eggs over easy, butter. Boo. It's still four hours till lunch and you all have me wanting to eat.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
A rubbery layer? What the heck??

Yeah. I've seen this. It is commonly seen among those who do not know how to cook. I've known some guys who could turn a perfectly innocent egg into something unimaginably rubbery and tough.

KoM: The pan has to be hot before the egg goes in. Do not crack your egg into a cold pan and then turn on the heat. If you grease your pan with Pam, or some other nonstick cooking spray, spray the cooking surface of the pan before it goes on the heat. If you are using oil, butter, or margarine, it goes in after the pan is hot. Once the butter or margarine has all melted (or the oil has coated the whole cooking surface), you crack your eggs into the pan. Heat is medium. Egg should immediately turn opaque and start to set when it hits the pan.

You can put a lid on the pan to facilitate the doneness of your sunny-side up egg, or flip it after the bottom is set.

In all, the process should take, like, a minute or so. The egg does not cook for a half hour in the pan while you are checking your email.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my eggs cooked in bacon grease. I can feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it [Smile]
Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

<-- wouldn't be interested in bacon grease eggs
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a decent cook, but I don't make very good fried eggs. So I have no useful tips to share.

I never order them over easy in a restaurant anymore because, although I like the yolk runny, I totally gag at runny whites--which I've gotten all too frequently when I order over easy. So now I ask for "over medium," which all the waiters seem to understand just fine but made me the object of ridicule of an ex-boyfriend who thought it was the silliest thing he'd ever heard.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
In 6th grade on a trip I had a friend who attempted to tell the waiter that he wanted his eggs "like my mom cooks them" after trying to order. I guess he hadn't eaten out much and didn't understand what they wanted to know.

It was kinda sad.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Uprooted,

I have eggsactly the same issue. I order "over-medium" and then explain "runny yolks, no runny whites".

Or just get scrambled. Much harder to screw up.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airguitarist
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for Airguitarist           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, two weeks ago my friends managed to convince me that I was the only person in the word who orders eggs over-medium. Apparently they were wrong.

Over-Medium egg orderers of the world unite!

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
All you people who like runny yolks are sick. Sick, I tell ya.

I order scrambled eggs and then specify I'd like them cooked as thoroughly as possible, so that they don't come out watery and runny.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I order over-medium as well (over toast...yum)
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

No kidding, in New Jersey they passed a law a few years back making it illegal to serve eggs with runny yolks.

You know that line in Alice's Restaurant where all the other prisoners shun Arlo because he was arrested for littering? Imagine if Alice were arrested for sunny side up.

Gotta love New Jersey!

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
don't use plastic eggs
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Don't forget creating a nuisance.

If you have runny yolks you must also have either toast or hash browns to sop up the yolks.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

*humming you can get anything you want ...* Thanks a lot, Tante. * exceptin' Alice*

Wow, over-mediumers of the world unite, indeed!

My grandpa made the best eggs over hash browns in the world. Yumm.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I memorized that song for a family thanksgiving dinner! My family has messed up traditions
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about a rubbery layer, but I prefer to cook my fried eggs over a high enough heat that the whites get crispy around the edge. Mmm, crispy egg whites.

I've noticed that eggs are one of those things that people get really snobby about. I don't understand this. I'm the one eating my eggs, not you, so why should you care how I cook them?

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I memorized that song for a family thanksgiving dinner! My family has messed up traditions

Impressive! Have you ever heard the "30 years later" version?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

When I was little, I called fried eggs "burnt and runny eggs" it had to have crispy edges, but the yoke still needed to run. I also named frozen corn with butter cooked in the microwave "super duper corn" this was during the time my dad or brother were responsible for making me dinner because my mom was taking night classes.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah we heard the 30 years later version one time, but I can't find the lyrics online.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
MMMM. Lots of butter, yeah. I love over easy eggs.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] another over-medium person here.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I like my eggs like I like my women...

Scrambles and with a little bit of salt.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

hehe
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Over medium for teh win.

<3

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't generally like eggs. I'll occasionally make ham and cheese scrambled eggs (see recipe on recipezaar or in the Jatraquero cookbook) or an omelette or throw them in a hash. But fried eggs? Eeeew.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to have to have eggs for breakfast....

One-eyed egyptians. [Smile]

(Bread with a hole cut out the middle. The egg fries in there, so you get fried egg + fried bread all in one unhealthy but yummy package. And then eat with sambal olek.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never tried sambal olek, but I think I would love it.

My aunt makes the best fried eggs in the universe. Sorry.

(her secret ingredient is love, btw. That and a lot of bacon grease and salt.)

[Wink]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any eggs in the house at the moment.

This thread makes me want to go out for breakfast.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
One-eyed egyptians. [Smile]

(Bread with a hole cut out the middle. The egg fries in there, so you get fried egg + fried bread all in one unhealthy but yummy package. And then eat with sambal olek.)

Silly imogen. That's called an egg-in-a-basket, not any kind of Egyptian. (Although I confess I have never eaten them with sambal olek.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no. It's called toad in a hole.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I love people who love sambal oelik. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
My ex-wife would never eat the eggs I cooked. Her compalint was that I made "perfect" eggs. They look like the ones you see in commercials, fluffy, firm and not runny.

So for perfect scrambled eggs, use a mixer, blender or wisk until the eggs are smooth. Meaning you can't tell the yolks from the whites.

Over medium-low heat in a "Pammed" pan, pour in the eggs. Stir constantly scraping the bottom and sides to pull the cooked in to the uncooked eggs.

Keep it up until you get the firmness you like. The top of the eggs might still look a little runny. If so cover and remove it from the heat for 3-5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Eggs are just one of those foods that really taste better when cooked slowly over low heat.

[ December 29, 2005, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Historian ]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:

Why on EARTH would anyone eat anything called THAT?! (And don't get me started on British food-names in general.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no. It's called a hole-in-one (Dad's a golfer).
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter what it's called. It's just not something I would consider edible. *sticks nose in air*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

King of Men, are you still reading this thread? How are your fried eggs coming out these days?

I volunteered to make fried eggs and hasbrowns for my Dad and brother this Christmas. Cracked the eggs into the sizzling hot butter, then called my mother over to flip them when they were ready to turn. Because I'm really good at breaking the yolks when I turn them . . .

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:

Actually, toad in a hole is sauasages in batter (kind of like yorkshire pudding batter).

It's quite nice, especially if you use good sausages and put thyme and rosemary in the batter. But a lot of work for what is, essentially, sausages.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It is actually called "Egg-in-a-nest".

But I've heard misguided people call it "Rocky Mountain Toast". And we all know that is just silly.

rivka
Member # 4859

Can you use it to be yotzei shiluach hakein? No?

Then clearly, not a nest.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Can you use it to be yotzei shiluach hakein?

I don't see why not. [Dont Know]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.