FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *blink* What does this mean?

Author Topic: *blink* What does this mean?
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking to see if anyone had started a thread on Blink. I'm reading it right now and wanted to hear some opinions.

So, being the conscientious, if spelling impaired (I had to look up the spelling of conscientious), poster that I am, I looked-up the word "blink" before beginning a new thread.

I found no Blink, but lots of *blink* and realized that I'm not quite sure what emotion is being expressed by this gesture.

Can someone clue me in?

Also, if anyone has read Blink, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the meaning of *blink* varies by usage, but it generally indicates passive surprise.

Example:

"I've never seen Star Wars"

"...*blink*"

I think it originated to express the sensation of blinking to confirm that your vision is working properly, when confronted with something very unusual, much like rubbing one's eyes.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm #16 on the waiting list for that book at my local library.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm skipping Blink. I read Tipping Point and was completely unimpressed.

I still don't know how much to tip the paper boy. <blink>

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
What is Blink?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm enjoying it immensly. I'm listening to it on an audio book and I find the guy extremely well spoken and the subject extremely interesting. It's something I've thought of myself quite often and to hear about all the actual experiments which have been carried out is fascinating.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.