FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Before you take anything on the web too seriously...

Author Topic: Before you take anything on the web too seriously...
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the uncyclopedia!

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but it gave me a certain amount of amusement. [Smile]

Enjoy!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Today's word of the day is
dingle
Try to use it in your conversations. Knowledge is power.

o_O
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gene Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek, believed that induced apathia, used in the service of evil during World War II, could be put to use for good in the future Utopian society depicted in Star Trek. As explained in the original Star Trek, the red uniforms worn by personnel contained special fibers which created reduced empathy in others, particularly those in leadership positions. The red-shirted personnel could be expended for the good of the United Federation of Planets without consideration for their families, their suffering, or the cost of their funerals. Furthermore, the psychological effects on the command crew would be minimal.
...Is this true?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

No.

According to the uncyclopedia, Jews are a kind of table delicacy that comes in five flavors.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Cuba is a cigar-shaped island off the coast of Nantucket. Its terrain is covered in marshmallows and chocolate syrup. Cuba is renowned for their world famous footlong hotdogs (known locally as footies) and also for supplying vitamins to the rest of the world.
It's too silly to be offensive, really. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Humor of the absurd requires timing and intelligence to work.

With a couple of exceptions, this site seems to be more "random crud about how everything is stupid because it just is" than actual humor of the absurd.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
This is funny.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh god.

quote:
The human fetus tastes best between 16 and 19 weeks of gestation.
[Eek!]
[ROFL]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
From the English-American dictionary:
quote:
The English do not simply add a U to every occurence of the letter O. Sometimes the letter O appears by itself, usually in words that were not designed for it. This has the effect of making these words appear more disgusting than they do when written by Americans.

English / American / Usage
Diarrhoea / Diarrhea / "I have diarrhoea."
Foetus / Fetus / "My foetus has diarrhoea."
Oesophagus / Esophagus / "There is a foetus in my oesophagus, and it has diarrhoea."
Aeroplane / Airplane / "How can I be expected to fly this aeroplane with a diarrhoetic foetus in my oesophagus?"
Phoenix / Phenix / "The pilot of the Amoerican Aerolines flight from London to Phoenix had a diarrhoetic foetus in his oesophagus."

[ROFL]
I am highly amused. This may be my new favorite site for a while. [Big Grin]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Humor of the absurd requires timing and intelligence to work.

With a couple of exceptions, this site seems to be more "random crud about how everything is stupid because it just is" than actual humor of the absurd.

That's because absolutely anybody can edit it. But most people seem to find these people's antics amusing, myself included.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
This article appears to have no redeeming value and is hence a candidate for speedy deletion. If it can be expanded to be more than useless clutter, please do so and remove this message.
If this article is not improved within 7 days it may be huffed without mercy.
This Template placed on 11:57, 5 Dec 2005 (UTC) (Admins Check time stamp)

[ROFL]
quote:
This article is a pile of crap. The article submitter may also have been huffing kittens . You can help Uncyclopedia by whipping it into shape (http://uncyclopedia.org/index.php?title=Quicktime_Pro&action=edit).

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
docmagik: [Big Grin]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
docmagik: [Big Grin]

Ditto.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
Today's word of the day is
dingle
Try to use it in your conversations. Knowledge is power.

o_O
I totally agree.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Actually, I agree with Puffy Treat to an extent. Some people have pointed out some genuinely funny stuff, but the potential for satire here is great and largely untapped.

Too many people trying to hard to be funny.

Some of the parts quoted here are pretty classic, though.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Practicing Mormon Tony Blair, with a selection of his wives.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter

A ways down in the article:
quote:
Warning: The above text contains spoilers. It is now safe to turn off your computer.
[ROFL]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great! domagik, that site is hilarious! I laughed out loud, which is an accomplishment. [ROFL]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
My family is from Dingle, actually.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Online Offers

• Dingle Hotels
• Schools in Dingle
• Dingle Insurance
• Dingle Real Estate

I want dingle insurance!!!!!
rCX
Member # 8503

- posted      Profile for rCX           Edit/Delete Post 
[url= http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game] Ender's Game [/url]

[Angst]

I can't get this url thing to work. [Confused]

Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
From the marijuana article:

"Defendents convicted of crimes ranging from murder to illegal file sharing suffered having rocks of Marijuana thrown at them until they died from the wounds. This was known as "getting stoned.""

"“Hey, remember when I dropped my keys and you thought the phone was ringing?”

~ Oscar Wilde on Keys

“Wow! I can totally see into your face! Like, THROUGH your face! It is FREAKING AWESOME!”

~ Oscar Wilde on Marijuana "

[ROFL]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
This series focused on Ender's brother, Peter Wiggin, who dreamed of being the world's greatest Hegémon master . . .
quote:
The Engrish version of the anime is hated by many fans because Bean's name was changed to Julian, and his lover Nikolai was made his brother instead.
*snort*
rCX
Member # 8503

Total nonsense! Going Crazy! arrrrrrrrrrggggggg!
Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia

quote:
Wikipedia, despite proporting to be an encyclopedia, is actually a database including such things as: lists of trains, Mortal Kombat characters, one-time villains from Mario games, road intersections, boring suburban schools, garage bands, cats, webcomics, Digimon, Bionicle characters, webforums, characters from English soap operas, and Mortal Kombat characters that don't exist....

Etiquette: Two or more Wikipedias are usually refered to simply as "Wikipedias", rather than the posher-sounding "Wikipædi-eye", benign cousin to the eye of sauron. Some people are also known to call two more more Wikipedias "Legos", which further adds to the confusion about Wikipedia.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rCX
Member # 8503

Uncyclopedia:

quote:
Uncyclopedia is an encyclopedia full of misinformation and utter lies. You might say it puts the "psych!" in "encyclopedia". It's sort of like Congress or Parliament, but unlike Congress or Parliament, we do have a sense of humor. Nonetheless, this is one of the only factual pages, before everything turns into a puddle of utter confusion and disarray. Savor it. And for the love of Sophia, we know you like disarray, (and confusion) but stop adding confusion to this non-confusing page which leads to confusion, and possibly disarray. Which we wish to stop. Non-non-confusion, that is. Not disarray. Or is it the other way around?

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
The article on Rhode Island is genius. Seriously, they did their research and it's wonderful.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
You might say it puts the "psych!" in "encyclopedia".
[ROFL]
rCX
Member # 8503

The United States of America
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"I can't get this url thing to work."

Ya need to join the url= part to the http part, rCX. Having a space between them breaks the creation of the link.
[url= http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game] Ender's Game[/url]

Also needed to join the Game to the [/url]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rCX
Member # 8503

[url= http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game] Ender's Game [/url]

I tried but it keeps adding a space after the =.

[Confused]

CNN:

quote:
This... is CNN (echo) (echo) (echo).

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, just noticed. Some addresses just cause a break. Haven't figured out why yet.
Though I've accidently repaired a few addresses to get a proper link, I don't remember the how.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Detroit

quote:
Anyone living in Detroit is Banned from the Internet. Plain and simple no reason.
Read the whole thing, it's great [ROFL]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, there's always this fix.
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
And it's probably one of the few sites to dedicate more than just a simple sentence or two to the "Lobstermoose"

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Lobstermoose

I'm impressed.

And confused.

(Please see my addition to the Discussion tab...)

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
[URL= http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Cookie_Monster]Cookie Monster[/URL]

quote:
Children are told of how the Cookie Monster will bring gifts to the good children, and kill the families of children who say he does not exist.
On Football:

quote:
Detroit Lions Football, which follows no logic known to man and yet still attracts the attention of unfortunate slobs from SE Michigan on Sunday afternoons. Never to be associated with the Super Bowl other than to watch it on TV.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ser Bronn Stone
Member # 8759

- posted      Profile for Ser Bronn Stone   Email Ser Bronn Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that Orson Scott Card is the author of Ender's Gay.... I will let you do that search yourself.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.

http://tinyurl.com/7qeeg

That hurts.

Is that a real picture of OSC?

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad this guy didn't give uncyclopedia a shot before he got into so much trouble.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.