FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » USA President is a Mormon. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: USA President is a Mormon.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering "All Creatures of Our God and King" is still in there in all its pagan [Wink] glory, I'm not sure. [Smile]

I wish I could remember some of the other changes - there were definitely more signifigant theological changes made. For instance, all references to the Trinity.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone compiling a hymnal for church use will do the same thing. Look at "Come, Come ye Saints" or "All is Well" in the red Southern Baptist hymnal. That quintessential Mormon hymn is there with delitions and changes where they wouldn't fit a Baptist service. No big deal.
And, yes there are hymns that have erronous theology still in the LDS Hymns book including some of the most popular numbers. There is no theological basis for including "Love at Home". Have you ever actually read those words?

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is beauty all around
When there's love at home
There is joy in every sound
When there's love at home
Peace and plenty here abide
Smiling sweet on every side
Time doth softly, sweetly glide
When there's love at home.

Love at home
Love at home
Time doth softly sweetly glide
When there's love at home.

I find this completely doctrinal. What's wrong with it?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I had to look up the lyrics to that. Eh, maybe it's an optimistic hymn. [Razz]
quote:
There is beauty all around, when there's love at home.
There is joy in ev'ry sound, when there's love at home.
Peace and plenty here abide, smiling sweet on ev'ry side.
Time doth softly, sweetly glide, when there's love at home.

Love at home, Love at home.
Time doth softly, sweetly glide, when there's love at home.

In the cottage there is joy, when there's love at home.
Hate and envy ne'er annoy, when there's love at home.
Roses bloom beneath our feet, all the earth's a garden sweet,
Making life a bliss complete, when there's love at home.

Making life a bliss complete, when there's love at home.

Kindly heaven smiles above, when there's love at home.
All the world is filled with love, when there's love at home.
Sweeter sings the brooklet by, brighter beams the azure sky.
Oh, there's one who smiles on high, when there's love at home.

Oh, there's One who smiles on high, when there's love at home.

My mother used to play this hymn on the piano when my brothers and I were fighting. it even worked sometimes.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just curious to the LDS, have you ever looked at a non-LDS hymnbook and compared? Not just the titles which are often the same but the actual words to the songs.
Yes.

quote:
And the changed words, in several cases completely changed the theological meaning of the song too.
As Kat said, that's pretty much the point.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... well the Protestants and Catholics don't generally change the words to each others hymns. If they "borrow" them they are generally borrowed intact or not used.

In the Garden is a pretty shlocky protestant hymn too.

Again, it's just an area with differences that are deeper than they seem. You think you are singing a hymn with the proper worshipful reverence and embracing the meaning of the song as praise to God, and all of a sudden *wham* the words are different, and you aren't singing what you thought you were. It's kind of a jolt. (It happened to me when I was a considerably more devout Christian, and attended a couple of LDS services, because I was visiting some LDS friends.)

AJ

More: Again, it's the seeming common denominator that isn't, "Oh we have the worship songs in common." But even if you are singing one that is unchanged, the message that the LDS person understands when they sing it is entirely different than the message the protestant gets when they sing it.

I also may be an anomaly in that I had almost every hymn memorized with almost all the verses in generic protestant hymn books. Before they were using overhead transpariencies for the congregation to sing from, I almost never used a hymnbook, since I knew the words.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Protestants and Catholics don't generally change the words to each others hymns. If they "borrow" them they are generally borrowed intact or not used.
We aren't Protestant or Catholic. *twinkle*

The other option is "not used." Which, considering how beautiful the hymns are and how little tweaking needs to be done so we don't teach what we consider to be false doctrine, would be tragic.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I understand why you tweak them, but again, your average listener of any faith probably won't realize they've been tweaked to change the meaning in the LDS version. It seems disingenuous to me somehow. I know it is a little thing, but it bothers me more than a lot of the major doctrinal issues that are being tweaked, cause it's kind of sneaky in a way.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I can tell it's bothering you. I'm sorry you're bothered, but I'm wondering why this issue is so much. No one is trying to trick anyone.

I mean, from our perspective, it's the exact opposite. Now people can sing beautiful hymns where the words are in line with what we actually believe. It would be a great disservice to teach something that we don't believe is true.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I can see objection if one believes in the moral model of copyright - that is, that artist intent is something worthy of respect in the use of the art. These hymns were composed to deliver one message, and now they are being used to deliver another - one that contradicts.

Doesn't bother me too much, because I'm more of an economic model copyright kind of guy.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I don't think it's deliberately "trying" to trick anyone, but the execution is such that it *can* trick people. I've heard, (from the sometimes discussions between my LDS aunt and cousins, and my protestant parents) "but we sing the same hymns, it's not that different" as a place to find commonality. And then I find out the hymns were actually changed and it was a shock.

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

Ah. Well, they are mostly the same hymns. I mean, it hasn't gone to "Yay, Evil!" I'm sure if the oringal hymnwriters had been aware of everything, the original would match the lyrics in the LDS hymnbook now. *twinkle* *dances out of reach*

Maybe that's why I have a Methodist hymnal in the first place. I have the vague feeling that I've had this conversation before, and so came home with a book with El Shadai in it, which made me happy.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah... well the Protestants and Catholics don't generally change the words to each others hymns. If they "borrow" them they are generally borrowed intact or not used.

Oh yes, we do! We change words all the time. Sometimes we put completely new words to old tunes; sometimes we update old texts to make them more in line with theology, more gender inclusive, or more inclusive in general.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Catholics and protestants took hymns from a COMPLETELY different religion. At least mormons take hymns just from a different sect [Razz]
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

again, I was raised in a conservative variety of Christianity. Maybe it's the conservatism rubbing off on me that I don't like changing the words to hymms. They'd certianly never change a hymn to make it more gender inclusive!
[Smile]
AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

On the other hand I realize that Amazing Grace's tune was originally a bar tune.

AJ

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
As was the Star-Spangled Banner.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

"Scatter Sunshine" sounds like one.

Try it - the next time you sing the hymn, imagine yourself holding a stein. The tune and lyrics fit perfectly.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

And the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

We also use a lot of Irish tunes for hymns.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I've totally done that before. [Smile]
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
The Battle Hymn of the Republic is another one we've changed, though I think we've only changed one word. And that one word has since been copied by other, non-LDS versions. (Actually, I was told the LDS church came up with the one-word change, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else did it first.)

Another point about differences in hymns goes back to the very earliest hymnals in the LDS church. At that time, the hymnals were not published with the musical notation, but only with the lyrics. The congregations used any tune they knew that fit the meter. Often, they used the tunes from the hymns they knew in their former churches.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing Grace can be sung to the tune of the theme to Gilligan's Island.

Try to get THAT out of your head once you've tried it. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Oh, How Lovely Was The Morning and Brightly Beams our Father's Mercy can both be sung to the Muppet theme song.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Evangalical Protestant military chaplains usually will not allow the Mormon hymn "I am a child of God" to be used in general services because of the chorus. "Lead me, Guide me, Walk beside me. Help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do to live with him some day." It is still a nice song, and when it comes out of copywrite protection, someone will probably adapt it.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Why don't they like that chorus in the military?
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably because "Teach me all that I must do to live with him some day" implies works have something to do with salvation.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a hymn in the LDS hymnbook with the same tune as the German national anthem.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

I guess I lost a post. Yes its not the military, its the evangalical protestants. It is "anti" saved by grace.
Brinestone: it also has the Finnish national anthem tune, British national anthem tune, and several others I could mention if I had a hymn book at work. Changing words to hymn tunes is not a new thing. Some plain song tunes come from Jewish and/or Arabic chant. Early high protestant hymns were usually four part arrangements of Gegorian chant tunes. (that may have come from Jewish chant). There is a whole body of fairly racy songs that were also set to Chant tunes. (Carmina Burana)
In fact any really good hymn tune has dozens of sets of words.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much we'd have to change some of these hymns to make them work for atheists.

Joy to the world!
No one has come; let Earth receive nothing!
Let every heart prepare some room,
And all of nature sing,
And all of nature sing,
And all of, and all of, of nature sing.

We'll rule the world with truth and grace,
And make the nations prove
The glories of our righteousness,
And wonders of our love,
And wonders of our love,
And wonders, wonders, of our love.

-----

I like the idea of "Go rest, ye merry gentlemen," though. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
> What's the doctrinal problem with "Heaven and Nature sing?"

I don't think there is one. Not all the changes for the LDS hymnal are for doctrinal purposes. (For example, the change from "mighty thunder" to "rolling thunder" in "How Great Thou Art.")

There is a metrical problem with "Heaven and Nature sing," though. Even if you write it as "Heav'n," it's still a little awkward to sing it on one note. So my guess is that whoever put that song into the LDS hymnal decided to solve that problem and give the song a little Latter-day Saint flavor at the same time.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
:snickers at Tom:
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

In thirty years of singing in both Protestant and Catholic church choirs, I have always sung "rolling thunder". Are you sure this is a change?
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The authors original words were "all the works thy hands have made" and "mighty thunder." However, they've both been changed in most Protestant hymnals, so I don't think it was an LDS-specific change. More likely because they're easier to sing. The "L"s roll so nicely off the tongue.

The imagery works better, too. The "worlds" change makes the first verse clearly about the wonder of space, since it already mentions stars and the universe. The second verse is the more immanent creation, with woods and birds and such. And who really thinks of thunder as particularly mighty, anyway? It's just noise. Kind of cool noise, like rolling drums, but not "mighty."

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
"Heaven and nature sing" - this is the one change that drives me crazy. What do you sing when you're out Christmas caroling without hymnbooks? Many Saints sing what they're used to - "Saints and angels". Other saints and non-members sing "heaven and nature". Monday night I found myself in a muddle and started singing "And haddah bladdah sing ... and bleh bleh neh bleh sing...." [Blushing]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We belong to a cult, but apparently not a dangerous one.
I feel that way about quite a few denominations. And again, there are benefits in being part of particular cults, depending on the content of the tenents.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.