FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I want to go home from work now. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I want to go home from work now.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The office is empty. I am the only one left. Everyone else left early because...it's Friday, I think. *drums fingers* Not that I have any emergencies at home, or that being at work is awful. I'm not even wearing nylons. I am just bored and I'm tired of working this week. I'm wondering exactly how long I have to stay here.

The only I would have to stay is because I update the national announcements page, and if anything goes down during business hours, someone needs to be available to send out a message. Since the other tech writer (who is my new boss) left already, that leaves me.

*drums fingers some more*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always take a looooong break...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
They need to figure out a way you can do that from home.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, hey, we're going to be in Dallas the 27th through the... 29th, I think. Wanna do dinner some night? The 28th is Jeff's birthday, so that's probably out.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That would require me getting internet at home. I could do it now if I were willing to set up an account and get a computer at home. I like living in my cloister, though.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm very, very amused that wearing nylons or not is one of your criteria on if work is awful that day. [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I get back to Dallas on the 27th, but I think I get it around 5:30. If you're willing to have a later dinner, I could do it then. I'm free in the evenings the rest of that week. [Smile]

ElJay: *laugh* Yeah, I have to dress up for here. On the upside, no makeup, ever.

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I like being at work. I only have a few assignments, none of which are difficult and few of which are time-consuming (and one of which is taking a daily twelve mile drive to the post office, for which I am reimbursed $.42/mi) , and the rest of the time I just get to play around on the computer.

What I hate is going to and from work. 20 miles in rush hour traffice so it takes nearly an hour each way. Yuck.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'll ask Jeff about the 27th or 29th, then; I think his brother and sister-in-law may have already blocked out one evening, but I'm not sure (and honestly, they're the part of the family I don't want to see, but I know he cares a little more than I do.)

We're actually leaving the morning of the 30th, so 29th is also a free dinner night.

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm very, very amused that wearing nylons or not is one of your criteria on if work is awful that day.
I totally get that. I never wear them unless I absolutely have to. It would definitely affect my perception of "awfulness" of the day. [Smile]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How come? Do they itch? I've never tried to wear nylons.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
You know how most guys hate wearing neckties? Imagine both your legs covered in neckties.

Nylons are sometimes itchy, sometimes sweaty (especially in a hot climate in the warm seasons), mine always end up migrating (aka, the crotch likes to creep down) so I want to tug on them constantly, they snag easilly, they're absolutely horrible if you don't put them on straight (aka one of the legs is twisted and binds), and they're just plain uncomfortable. I hate them and I can't remember the last time I wore them.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
If you buy expensive ones that fit well, most of those problems are diminished if not eliminated. But who wants to pay for expensive nylons when they don't last very long before you snag them and have to throw them out? I don't out-right hate them, but I don't wear them very often, and when I do it is usually "fun" ones that go with my outfit, not ones that I'm wearing just for the sake of having my legs covered.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
In the winter, I wear tights instead of nylons. SO much more comfortable!

In the summer, I use the hot weather as an excuse not to wear nylons. Ever.

Thus, I have almost completely avoided wearing them at all, ever.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::adds nylons to his list of things he's happy society doesn't make him wear or do::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Society makes someone do nylons?

I'm so out of touch.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.T.
Member # 8665

- posted      Profile for K.T.   Email K.T.         Edit/Delete Post 
Ode to Nylons

I put them on to look nice
So I don't have to tan
But pulling them up this morning
I tugged too hard, they ran.

They're itchy and they're sratchy
Sometimes they make me sweat
They don't stay where I put them
comfy nylons, I've never met.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know how most guys hate wearing neckties? Imagine both your legs covered in neckties.
There are guys that hate wearing neckties???????

Dude. I love neckties. Especially shopping for them.

...I'm going to go do something masculine now, like slay a deer with a shotgun, or crushing full beers with my forehead.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Huh. I wore a necktie yesterday because I felt like it. My work doesn't require them, but they certainly don't frown on them, either. And it had been awhile, and I like most of the neckties I own, so I went ahead and wore one. The trick is not to tighten it so far you can't breathe. Leaving the top button undone helps immensely.

Now nylons, I can't help with. I've never worn them. I don't really understand why women do, either. They seem ridiculous to me, but then, most things done in the name of "fashion" seem ridiculous to me.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
A necktie can double as a leash.

And I agree, nylons are terrible, terrible things. I haven't had to wear them since I was in choir, and if I have my way, I'll never wear them again.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I like wearing nylons. I do buy fairly pricy ones, but they are comfy. On the rare occaisions I don't wear them, I have to wear bike shorts under my skirt to keep my legs from sticking together. And they ride up. Nylons are much nicer.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now nylons, I can't help with. I've never worn them. I don't really understand why women do, either. They seem ridiculous to me, but then, most things done in the name of "fashion" seem ridiculous to me.
They are ridiculous. They don't really keep you warm because they're so thin, except in the summertime when they are really too hot. I only wear them when I have to and I only do it because it's expected. And WHY is it expected? The great question of the universe. [Smile]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
How come? Do they itch? I've never tried to wear nylons.

Me thinks he doth protest too much. [Wink]
Just out of curiosity, what have you tried to do with nylons?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

You can wear them on your head and rob liquor stores. That's about the only other use for nylons I can think of.

Oh. You can wear them on your arms, if they're of the knee-high variety.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Neck Ties ARE leashes. Ties suck.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I love neckties. Especially on Julia Roberts.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I wonder if it's weird that I think women in men's shirts and neckties are sexy. Could it be I'm a closet lesbian?

Nah. Like most men, I'm quite free and open about being a lesbian.

(I'm also juuuust dorky enough to still think it's funny for a man to call himself a lesbian.)

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, women in men's shirts and ties really IS sexy... mmm...

But, I hate panty hose. I won't wear those darn things ever again. They make my legs feel weird. Ties are quite nice, but perhaps I can't get away with wearing those.

I got to leave work early today. [Taunt]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I used to have to wear a men's dress shirt and a tie when I was in the Pipe and Drum Corps, before we got our jackets.

Dress shirt, tie, kilt, knee-high socks, spats...

Wow, those outfits were complicated.

-pH

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear my old orchestra tux shirt with jeans and a tank top, it's very sexy, no tie though, I may have a bow tie around here.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Ho hum. I really wanna go home from work now, but it's not even three yet. I'm ready for a nap. [Sleep]

But I haven't worn nylons in over 4 years, and honestly couldn't tell you the last time I saw someone else wearing them. I don't own any closed toed shoes either. [Taunt]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
any? I couldn't do that, but then I own 50 pairs of shoes.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

50?
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

maybe 49?
smitty
Member # 8855

*looking to the east with deep concern*
Megan
Member # 5290

[Big Grin]

You've got me beat. I've only got maybe 20 or so.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

But there's black, brown, blue, grey, red, yellow, pink, high tops, low tops, heels, ballet flats, sandals, four pairs of riding boots, a few pairs of non riding boots, shoes for dog shows, mud shoes, running shoes, I don't think any of them (minus riding boots) cost more than $30, many in the $5 range.
smitty
Member # 8855

There's more than brown boots, and brown hiking boots?
Megan
Member # 5290

I have six or seven pairs of black shoes/boots, and I don't own any hiking boots.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

riding boot
pH
Member # 1350

I own four pairs of shoes.

One businessy, one pair of sneakers, these cute casualish heels, and a pair of sexy black heels to go with my sexy Little Black Dress(tm). The heels are both open-toe.

-pH

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

and you're in Chicago now!
smitty
Member # 8855

is that like purgatory?
pH
Member # 1350

Yup, which means all I own are sneakers. [Razz] Sneakers that are now covered in snow. Barbaric city.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning!

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

Yes, Chicago is very much like purgatory!

-pH

smitty
Member # 8855

Congrats! [Big Grin]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

it's not purgatory, but it's hard to wear open toed heels in Chicago right now.
smitty
Member # 8855

well, now that I think about it, that makes all kind of sense
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't worn nylons in over a decade. I will never wear nylons ever again. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I don't care if it means I have cold legs in northern Alberta. I just won't wear 'em.

Luckily, though, I now live in a tropical country where no one wears them. People here wear sandals or flip flops all the time. Women in dresses or saris or shalwaars, men in sarongs or business suits - all wearing sandals or flip flops.

It's a good life. [Smile]

And you just reminded me that I need to go sandal shopping today. My sandals broke yesterday. Luckily, it happened just as we got home from shopping, not while we were actually out.

Talk about good timing. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never worn flip flops or sandals for anything else than going to the beach. I'm just so used to wearing shoes, if I ever started wearing flip flops on a regular basis I'd feel so weird, almost like going to class in my boxers or my pajamas (and some people do actually come in pajama pants)

KetchupQueen:

I didn't know you were coming into town for the holidays! Amanecer and I are in Dallas and we're always itching to meet more friendly jatraqueros face to face. If you have some time to spare on your visit, perhaps we could arrange something [Smile]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.