FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » appetizers

Author Topic: appetizers
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm responsible for Christmas Eve dinner, this is a slightly scary idea, but I think it will be good for my mom. We're ordering Pizzas (one from each of our two favorite local pizza places, one alfredo sauce with veggies, one marinara on thin crust with meat).

I also want to do a few appetizers. One I found recently is like Crab Rangoon but with jalepenos instead of crab in the cream cheese.

What appetizers do you like making? I'm really close to the mother in Mermaid who only makes appetizers as dinner. Fun

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good cheese fondue recipe that I always make at Christmas time. The recipe calls for it to be served in a bread pot, which I always make myself. For many years, our Christmas 'dinner' consisted of an all-day fingerfood buffet, including my fondue, spinach dip and/or artichoke dip (also in homemade bread pot), with bread chunks and assorted veggies for dipping, buffalo wings, sausage rolls, lil smokies, and other things that aren't coming to mind right now. I always tried to make one or two new things each year.

Edit: of course as soon as I hit reply I remember other items we've made over the years. We like wontons and eggrolls, both deep fried and steamed. I have a couple of dipping sauces that are to die for.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I just made this one last night:

Chicken Wing Dip

3-4 chicken breasts
jar of hot wing sauce(like Frank's)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
8 oz. mozzarella
jar of bleu cheese dressing

Cover the chicken in half a jar of the hot sauce. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning halfway through to coat chicken.

Remove chicken, cut into chunks, and mix with remaining sauce.

Spread cream cheese on the bottom of a baking pan.
Layer chicken
mozzarella
Spread dressing over the top.

Put it back in the oven for about 15 minutes until bubbly.

Serve with tortilla chips or thin sliced bread, slightly toasted.

If you do not like Bleu cheese, try Ranch dressing.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Maui Babe, that sounds like an amazing meal. That's how we do our Christmas Eve, but this year instead of lots, i decided on pizza, after being put in charge (I'm 19 and the only kid that will be there, 5 or 6 adults)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorites is really easy to make. Just mix salsa (I prefer Pace) with cream cheese, spread it on a flour tortilla, roll it up, and refrigerate. When it's chilled, cut the roll into slices that are about one inch long.

Spinach dip is another good one. I always use the recipe off of the soup packet; I think it's the Liptons french onion soup. If you have the time and inclination to make a bread bowl, that can be a nice way to serve the dip and then you have all the bread innards to scoop it up with.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Spanakopita (although I like onion in mine, and a mix of cheeses)
Veggies with dip
Hummus and pita
Cheese/cheeseball and crackers
Scotch Eggs
Spinach dip and home-made bread/breadsticks

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

MMMmmmm... my kids would LOVE that.

Last night I had the munchies and was tired of all the sweets we've been eating lately (I've been doing my Christmas baking and I've had WAY too many cookies).

I more or less invented a "pizza dip" using mozzerella, cheddar and parmesean cheeses, a little bit of pepperoni, some diced tomatoes and a few tablespoons of fat-free sour cream to hold it all together. I'd originally thought of using cream cheese, but I was saving what I had for another recipe later.

I heated it all together in the microwave and served it with plain tortilla chips. It was very tasty, and a nice savory respite from all the sweets.

Oops, I knew I should have specified Elizabeth's buffalo chicken dip when I started this post. It took me a little longer than I thought it would.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

When we've made bread bowls, we bought the bread, from the local bakery, which makes it pretty easy.
maui babe
Member # 1894

I used to buy bread bowls, but in certain places I've lived over the years I have had trouble finding them (I've been making my fondue for over 20 years [Embarrassed] )

My family is pretty finicky about bread, since they've all grown up on my homemade stuff, and I can make it in my sleep now, so I just do it.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Bread bowls really aren't any harder to make than loaves. The key is to make sure there is plenty of surface tension by stretching the dough and tucking it up underneath. Then, when it rises it will go up instead of out.

The first time I tried to make a bread bowl I didn't know this important technique and ended up with a bread plate instead. [Mad]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I've never seen Mermaid, but I've always loved savory little finger foods. I like to go to a nice restaurant with a group of friends just for appetizers and dessert. I love New Years Parties for the same reason...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Tuna Pate and Festive Cheese Ball have been a hit at every party I've taken them to.

[ December 19, 2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, I am not authorized to view the Festive Cheese Ball.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I think I fixed it.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan: You obviously don't have enough Holiday cheer. [Wink]

Dag: thanks for ruining the funny. [Razz]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

That cheese ball sounds like goooooooood stuff. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Crowswife, uhhh they aren't hard if you can make bread that tastes good at all. I can't. We won't go into my last attempt at bread with yeast (I'm great at quick breads).
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
For appetizers, you can make highly seasoned little meatballs. Spicy chicken wings. And everyone's favorite, little cocktail franks wrapped in dough.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
You could try the stuff I make...

Buy a tube of crescent roll dough (the pillsbury kind that's perforated). Make sure it's nice and cold - you might even want it in the freezer for a bit.

Seperate into two sheets (4 triangles each sheet): lay one out on pan. Top with shredded cheese (or, if you're feeling exotic, load it up with brie), chopped mushrooms/onions/bell peppers, etc. Tomatoes also work. Coat that with marinara, alfredo, or whatever. Place second sheet on top of first and pinch sides closed. Basically, you want the thing to look like an enormous Hot Pocket on crack.

Bake until the dough is done, slice, serve.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
That cheese ball sounds like goooooooood stuff.
It is absolutely delicious. [Big Grin]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

oh the idea of crescent dough for those works, I've done "pizza bombs" but using grands biscuits, and it never quite does it.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Pizza-like appetizers when the main course is pizza might not be the best idea, although in general I like them very much. You can do it with Ritz crackers, too.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pizza-like appetizers when the main course is pizza might not be the best idea
Good point, although you can do pretty much anything with them: one of my favorite variants is to chop and marinate chicken in teriyaki sauce, sautee it, and put that in there with some broccoli & onion.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Oh I know, and don't plan on doing it, but at some point I might.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
You can do it with Ritz crackers, too.

If it is going to be a ritzy affair.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's good when you're blue and don't know where to go to...
Megan
Member # 5290

...why don't you go where fashion sits?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

can I guess (without googling, or having a clue) Leonard Cohen?
Megan
Member # 5290

Irving Berlin.

...and now the song is going to be in my head for the night.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

oh "Puttin On the Ritz" I don't know all the lyrics. I just knew dag is known for Cohen talk...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's Irving Berlin and Fred Astaire.

Also Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein and Taco in the mid-80s. [Smile]

Edit: too late, but a Cohen version would be interesting, to say the least.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I make some pretty good stuffed mushrooms:

-1 pound medium mushrooms
-1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
-1/2 small green pepper, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
-3 tablespoons butter
-1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
-1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
-1/4 teaspoon pepper
-1 tablespoon butter

1. Remove stems from mushrooms. Finely chops stems (1/3 cup).

2. Cook and stir stems, onion, and green pepper in 3 tablespoons butter until tender (5 minutes). Remove from heat.

3. Stir in bread crumbs, salt, thyme, turmeric and pepper.

4. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in shallow baking dish until melted.

5. Fill mushroom caps with stuffing mix; place mushrooms filled sides up, in dish.

6. Bake uncovered 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

7. Set oven to broil (or 550 degrees) and broil mushrooms with tops 3-4 inches from heat for 2 minutes.

8. Serve hot.

You can make the stuffing a day ahead of time and just refrigerate. This recipe usually makes a lot of stuffing. Kids love to help stuff the mushrooms.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.