FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Interlibrary Loan Requests Monitored

Author Topic: Interlibrary Loan Requests Monitored
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
A librarian friend of mine send me this link.
quote:
NEW BEDFORD -- A senior at UMass Dartmouth was visited by federal agents two months ago, after he requested a copy of Mao Tse-Tung's tome on Communism called "The Little Red Book."

Two history professors at UMass Dartmouth, Brian Glyn Williams and Robert Pontbriand, said the student told them he requested the book through the UMass Dartmouth library's interlibrary loan program.

The student, who was completing a research paper on Communism for Professor Pontbriand's class on fascism and totalitarianism, filled out a form for the request, leaving his name, address, phone number and Social Security number. He was later visited at his parents' home in New Bedford by two agents of the Department of Homeland Security, the professors said.

The professors said the student was told by the agents that the book is on a "watch list," and that his background, which included significant time abroad, triggered them to investigate the student further.

I guess I'm feeling good right now that none of my research is political in any way. I'm thinking this is tied to the Patriot Act, though I could be wrong.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that they won't name the student (and the well-known nature of Mao's book), I question the credibility of this report...
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
They do name the professors, though, so that tends to make me feel that it's credible. I find stuff like this very disturbing.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

According to the article, they're not naming the student because "he fears repercussions should his name become public."

It disturbs me, too, especially when it's going after fairly innocuous research at an undergraduate level. Like I said, I'm glad my research is politically neutral.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

I'm sure glad they didn't have the Patriot Act when I was in junior high school and checked Eldredge Cleaver's Soul on Ice out of the library not long after it was published in 1968. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we can all be sure that terrorists who publish papers will not be able to blow anything up.... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I smell BS. Even if they monitoring interlibrary loan requests, and even if The Little Red Book was on the watch list, I still doubt that requesting it would result in a visit by federal agents.

Either he did a lot more than the article says, or this situation is fabricated. Personally, I believe the second option.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not currently clear whether this story is true. Several updates on the matter are here.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
If the feds were interested in tracking people with "dangerous" thoughts, they wouldn't be looking at Maoism. (Or Nazism. Or Confederate secessionism!) They'd be looking at something connected with a current threat.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Well, if it is true, it'd be communism that would be the concern, I guess. I'm guessing there are folks paranoid to think this is connected to the current threat (or another, separate threat, or something). Someone put the book on the watch list, at any rate, for some reason.

The article also mentioned flagging the guy because of his international travel. Eh.

Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
Just tying up a loose end -- as I suspected, this was a hoax.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/12-05/12-24-05/a01lo719.htm

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, that's good to know! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sure. The NSA got to them and now they're claiming it never happened. Duh.

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

This reminds me of the time I was visited by the N.S.Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

This is Icarus.

I was never--ever--visited by the NSA.

Truly.

I am very sorry.

[Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Cry]
[Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Cry]

The NSA
Member # 8985

- posted      Profile for The NSA   Email The NSA         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's your ol' pal Icarus.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

d'oh!

I mean, This is Icarus.

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Pay no attention to any of this foolishness.

Nothing at all to see here.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The NSA
Member # 8985

- posted      Profile for The NSA   Email The NSA         Edit/Delete Post 
*crickets*
*Wind howling*
*Dogs barking in the distance*
*Tumbleweed passes*
*Chuch bell tolls in the next town*

Move along, folks... [Monkeys]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Psst: Paragraph 181, section VII, page 2,987 of the Patriot Act, and I quote: "Resistance if Futile, but Satire is punishable by torture, death, and a really, really stern talking to."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*GIGGLE*
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.