FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, you guys think youre smart around here? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, you guys think youre smart around here?
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Try this out. I've gotten to about the 8th clue or so in a day and a half. LOTS of fun, and when you figure one out it really gives you a sense of accomplishment.

http://www.relpats-eht.com/

Basically, how it works is that on each page there is a clue to the next one. So say you figure the answer to the first page is "Cake" you would go to the website www.relpats-eht.com/cake which would contain another clue that you put on the end of cake/.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and PLEASE do not give answers here. Totally ruins the game. I can see maybe a clue now and then, maybe something to point people in the right direction, but DO NOT GIVE ANSWERS.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first page. I think I must not have the intelligence of the average high school student.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Whaddya know, I made it to the next clue!
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I got to page 4, and got bored.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I got to page 4, and got stuck :-/
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, page 4. Got bored, wandered off, now trying again. Still stuck, though.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get the first one. Someone give me a hint!
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

amira: any of the phrases in the first one strike you as a bit weird?
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Page 5, but I had to go to a different site, but not a cheater site. Unfortunately, I didn't take that class in school and needed a reference.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
stuck on page 4 as well.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

Oh, for alot of them you have to go do some research on outside sites. With the exception of the first two, I've had to research or use outside materials for every one.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Use what you got from page 3. [Smile]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

page 5. hmmmm....
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

In fact, 5 would be downright impossible without using outside website/s
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I'm flat out stumped on 5, and I know I can not find it. I know key phrases of what to google, but what to look for? No way. Need some help.
IanO
Member # 186

yeah, same thing here.
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

Key phrases: Quake, Model, CRYPTIC, Page 5

Yeah, that was is pretty much impossible. I was able to work together with a couple people on it and eventually figure it out. If this hint isnt enough, ill give one more tomorrow. bout to head home from work.

IanO
Member # 186

unfortunately, googling that brings up cheater sites.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xnera:
amira: any of the phrases in the first one strike you as a bit weird?

Many of the phrases strike me as a bit weird...

The whole thing is very awkwardly written.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I can't get past page 3. Bleh.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
I found the answers to the 1st and 2nd puzzles.

I decided to stop playing when I noticed that the many typos and grammatic blunders in the first page were not part of the puzzle. Funny how he claims to have correct grammar and spelling on the second page [Big Grin]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
afr: That's binary. My bet would be that you have to convert it to either decimals or ASCII in order to get your answer.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I've tried it every which way and I can't find the answer.
IanO
Member # 186

alright, page 5 was pretty cool. Tough, but cool.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the second to last page. And I'm irked.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it, I can't even figure out what length of phrase I should be looking for here. The first paragraph is barely a clue.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Someone just tell me the answer to 5.
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Somone just tell me the answer to 1. :'(
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
All the binary code translators I've tried have told me that the numbers given are not real binary. I think I'm missing something? [Confused]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
For 1: something on that page is very arbitrary. Figure out what it represents. Really, it's easy as...something.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
So what is the answer for 4?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The answer to 3 suggests something about the missing letters.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Avadaru, add a zero to the beginning of each one. That should help.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think 5 has something to do with primes, but that was the point at which I said to heck with it.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Dag, you gave me the answer to page one. Now the clue is glaringly obvious but since I couldn't find it on my own I guess I'm still dumber than his pet rock, so I'll just bow out of this here contest!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
So is it cheating to just google site:www.relpats-eht.com and skip to the last page? I'm always impatient. The last page is some weird hex code anyway, I'll never figure it out.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I tried that cheat right after I solved the first clue. Then, because I had all the answers laid out in front of me, I lost interest.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I am completely stuck still on page one. I just don't get what I am looking for even with clues. guess this game might not be for me
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh I got one... but now I am stuck on two.. I think this game is going to drive me bonkers
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
don't worry theresa..neither am i..i was never very good with ridles..my sis on the other hand..
Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I'm looking at the right part of number one; I just can't seem to figure out what I'm supposed to do with it...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

yeah, number 5 has some wierd sequence of primes. But it doesn't seem to have any pattern to it. Irritating.

As for binary conversions, it's better to use the windows calculator, set it to scientific mode, and convert that way (or do it by hand.)

Number 2 is a little joke by him. The answer is right in the paragraph.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Google the primes.
IanO
Member # 186

Thanks. Very obvious. Should have googled it. Now trying to find a binary-dec converter for something as large as the next sequence. Windows won't take anything that large.
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
OK I just started fiddling with number one this morning and I feel like an idiot already. I think I have the arbitrary information but I can't figure out what to do with it.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
(Grammar Nazi: Please, please add the apostrophe in the thread title. The juxtaposition is killing me.)
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, I figured it out... on to #2. Beginning to think this is stupid though.

edit for update: now stuck on 5 with the rest of you. I am not mathmatical so the primes pages I am looking up are no help to me. I still don't know what I'm looking for.

[ December 21, 2005, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: MandyM ]

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

quote:
I decided to stop playing when I noticed that the many typos and grammatic blunders in the first page were not part of the puzzle. Funny how he claims to have correct grammar and spelling on the second page
Yes, that really annoyed me, too. It led me down a few wrong paths before I finally got the answer. I believe my reaction to getting the answer for Page 2 was "you've got to be kidding me".
IanO
Member # 186

I'll probably have to break down and make a binary-dec converter that can handle a 67 bit number. Hopefully, that should do it.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.