FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » On the Importance of Backups, Dumb Crooks, and Dumpster Diving

Author Topic: On the Importance of Backups, Dumb Crooks, and Dumpster Diving
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
A heartwarming holiday tale from the Washington Post:

quote:
When Linda Cerniglia went back to school, it took her almost seven years to get through all the prerequisites, the labs, the research. And it took a thief just moments to grab her purse, with the only copy of her master's thesis stored on a tiny jump drive inside.

For anyone who's ever obsessed about a project but forgotten to back up the data, watched a computer screen fizzle just before a deadline or left crucial documents in a cab -- here is a story about backing up, and moving forward.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That's horrifying.

I lost a jump drive and had to rewrite some lab reports. That sucked, but having to rewrite a thesis is ten thousand times worse.

She's really lucky she found it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Tenacity.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Let this be a lesson to us all.

I got a clenched up feeling in my chest just from the empathy of it all in reading this account.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That's why I've been emailing my class outlines and my paper to my gmail account every day.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
but what if google crashes!

People would lose their lives! Our economy would crumble!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I did the same thing this semester. I emailed myself a copy of my paper everytime I thought of it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My cockles are now toasty warm. [Cool]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, you keep your cockles to yourself!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
In other news, Porter just bought himself some fleece underwear.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a complete computer melt-down on my old TRS-80 clone as I was doing the final edits to my dissertation. Backing it up, of course, wasn't really all that feasible since I had access to exactly ONE machine running LDOS and Scripsit, and that machine was eating diskettes.

My "backup" was to print the thing out on a regular basis.

So, when the machine finally died...I had someone scan the entire thing and do OCR on it. Then, I took the resulting MS-Word file in to work and finished it in my off hours.

I spent a few DAYS correcting all the mistakes that the OCR made, but fortunately, it worked reasonably well with the Daisy-wheel solid font that my printer was doing. Phew!

Good times. Good times.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And there, at the bottom, was her black leather purse. She unzipped it, reached in, and felt her fingers close around -- her jump drive.

People driving by stared: A 5-foot-4 43-year-old woman jumping up and down in a trash bin, screaming.

[ROFL]

Wow, that thief really motored after stealing her purse. And why all the vacuum cleaners?

I remember those god-awful TRASH-80s--what junk.
Our school's didn't even have floppies, you had to load programs with a cheap little cassette tape player.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember those god-awful TRASH-80s--what junk.
Our school's didn't even have floppies, you had to load programs with a cheap little cassette tape player.

I learned the fine art of disk drive alignment and circuit board repair on TRS-80's. I remember the first time a computer manufacturer told me to simply THROW OUT a malfunctioning floppy disk drive. I was aghast! What? Toss it? It takes like two minutes to adjust the darn thing with a jeweler's screw driver and an oscilloscope.

They LAUGHED at me.

"Sir, these drives cost about $10 apiece and are not adjustable. And our repair rate is $100 an hour."

Oh...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

When I married my wonderful husband, and we were packing up all our stuff in preparation to move to our new home together, I found among his stuff these punchcards. Boxes of them.

"Hon? What are these for? Do we need to take them with us?"

"That's my senior thesis! I'm definitely keeping that! Do you know how much work went into that? Careful! Don't get them out of order!"

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
High on my list of reasons I'm grateful to be born in the eighties is the fact that computers were a little further along by the time I got to college.

One of my coworkers was telling me about coding with punch cards, and I got gray hairs just from imagining it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Reasoning strikes again! I'm glad she got her thesis back! She should've been a detective. Pretty smart and tenacious lady, it sounds like.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Wow, that thief really motored after stealing her purse. And why all the vacuum cleaners?
Vacuum cleaners can be resold for a fairly high percentage of their value, and they engender less suspicion than buying entertainment-oriented electronics.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Quite the criminal mind you've got there, Dag.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"Vacuum cleaners can be resold for a fairly high percentage of their value"

Why? How come vacuum cleaners can be resold for a higher perecentage of its price than other things? And sold to who? People on ebay? Can you return it to the store?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I heard it from a Wal-mart loss prevention officer (basically, the store detective). They keep tabs on these things. One of the way shoplifters make money is to return the stolen goods for store credit. Then buy something that will hold a high percentage of its value and sell it, sometimes on ebay. Some people sell the gift cards on ebay, too.

As to why vacuum cleaners, no real idea. As to who they are sold to, there are a lot more second-hand vacuum shops than I've ever dreamed of.

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I had copies of my masters thesis saved on my home computer, my office computer, my laptop, my flash drive, and gmail.

[Smile]

Though, the reason I had it on the 3 computers was I used all 3 to work on it.

I can't imagine having only one copy of a masters thesis. That is way to much work to risk.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually have a copy of any major paper on my computer, two e-mail accounts, two flash drives, and hard copy. Of course, I'm always panicked I'll lose one . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
This, with a couple of tweaks, could be a Numb3rs episode.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rCX
Member # 8503

- posted      Profile for rCX           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, she's very lucky.

quote:
She will get her master's degree today, with more than one copy of a thesis
It's good that she now keeps more than one copy of her thesis.
Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi- it would make a compelling episode!

What a lucky and blessed woman to find it like she did. Wodner if she'll back things up more frequently now?

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.