FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rings around Uranus

Author Topic: Rings around Uranus
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
They're New!
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
must.....supress.....urge......to make....a.....dobbie.........must....log off....before.......too...late..... [Monkeys]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I read that title as the dobie I KNOW you're thinking of.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps this could help.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The title needs to be more rings, because I seriously thought I was losting my mind when I read this, knowing there were already rings.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Uranus, four times the diameter of Earth, is one of the solar system's giant, gaseous planets
What an interesting insult...
>_>

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Why? Didn't we all know that Uranus is gaseous?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O

I've cut back on broccoli and beans... but seriously, you haven't met me... have you? It's not that gaseous!

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this more fun than if it had been in the "interesting space-related news thread"...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been avoiding this thread...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Why, did you have gas too? [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

*lights a match*
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Tnanks, Tante.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
*Considers the possibility that the rhyme Ring Around the Rosie didn't really refer the the Black Plague*
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
***BOOM!!!****
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
*marvels that anyone still finds that abominable Uranus pun funny*

This is why I follow the astronomers and pronounce it "YOO-rin-us". Of course, that's still a rather scatological pronunciation, but it's less obvious. . . .

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
Of course, that's still a rather scatological pronunciation. . . .

Which is why I pronounce it, "meep."
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Which one is the "one ring to rule them all"?

Pluto should be renamed Golem. It is currently inside the orbit of Neptune, because it is searching for the ring.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Its no longer inside the orbit I think, but seriously, this whole Uranus thing was just a disaster in English from day one, what were they thinking? Ps. Yoo-rinus is no better, and awkward, and it only calls attention to the scatalogical joke about the first pronunciation.

Let's call it Bob and have done with it.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yoo-rinus is no better
It is better because the scatological aspects are less obvious. They are still there, but it takes a second's thought to find them, whereas if you pronounce it "yer-AY-nus", even a child will hear it immediately and pounce on it.

It's also better becuase it would kill that awful "probing Uranus" joke forever.

(Insert obligatory reference to Futurama and the "Urectum" joke here.)

Of course, there are even better solutions than pronouncing it "urinous", two of which are glaringly obvious to me:

1) Change the pronunciation to "yoo-RAN-us", middle syllable pronounced like "ran", to rhyme with "span" or "scan". Nothing scatological there.

2) Change the spelling to the Greek "Ouranos" and pronounce it "oo-RAN-ose", or "OO-ruh-nos", or, well, anything really. A less palatable option than 1, admittedly. First of all, the other extraterrestrial planets all have Roman names, not Greek ones. Having only one in Greek would seem incongruous. But then, having only one weekday named for Latin while the rest are Anglo-Saxon never seemed to hurt us. The second reason is that it seems a bit much to actually have to use a new spelling in all new printed material, replace existing reference books, etc., simply to put an end to a bad-but-ubiquitous joke. It would work, eventually, but it would be a hassle.

So I vote for number one, myself. Just change the pronunciation to one that still fits the spelling, but is not scatological.

In the meantime, most astronomers do pronounce it "urinous" rather than "your anus", and I follow their usage in this. It is not the neatest solution, but it is the neatest immediate solution.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday is norse, not anglo-saxon,

Thore's Day Get it? Thore the god of the binding forces? Thunder and stuff? Get your obscure useless weekday trivia right please!!

[Taunt]

Ps. What about saturday? Like Sabath day? Shabat?

I assume the anglo saxon one is monday, lunes in spanish which is like "moonday?"

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
In the meantime, most astronomers do pronounce it "urinous" rather than "your anus", and I follow their usage in this. It is not the neatest solution, but it is the neatest immediate solution.

Oh, go ruin all our fun, why don't you!
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Sunday - Sunna, that is, "Sun" (Anglo-Saxon)
Monday - Mona, that is, "Moon" (Anglo-Saxon)
Tuesday - Tiw (Anglo-Saxon)
Wednesday - Woden (Anglo-Saxon)
Thursday - Thunor (Anglo-Saxon)
Friday - Frige (Anglo-Saxon)
Saturday - Saturn (Roman)

Thunor is the Anglo-Saxon name of Thor (not "Thore"), just as Tiw, Woden, and Frige are the Anglo-Saxon names of Tyr, Odin, and Freya. Saturday was named for the Roman god Saturn (nothing to do with Sabbath), and is the one weekday in Latin I referred to.

In other words, I do have my "obscure useless weekday trivia" right, so you can just stick that tongue right back where it belongs, bub. [Taunt]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.