FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best albums of 2005

Author Topic: Best albums of 2005
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't kept up with new music this year as well as I did last year. But I know some of you did, and I found some really good stuff through your recommendations in the 2004 thread, so I thought I'd open this up again.

First off, I'll start again with some picks from industry pros, with everything good and bad that comes from that.

Here are the picks from the staff of The Onion A.V. Club

Here's what the editors from Amazon thought.

Take this with a shovelful of salt, but here are the Grammy Award nominations.

Not as comprehensive a list, but from one of my favorite sources, here's the list of '05s most underrated or overlooked albums from NPR's All Songs Considered.

And finally, although I haven't kept as current this year, here are a couple of my favorites from '05.

2005: Year of the Sophomore Album

Some of my favorite new artists from the last year or two came out with eagerly awaited (by me at least) sophomore albums this year. To wit:

• Kanye West: Late Registration
  • Franz Ferdinand: You Could Have It So Much Better
  • Gorillaz: Demon Days

Coincidentally, I feel very similar about all these albums. None of them are quite as good as the artists' first offerings, but none of them really disappointed me, either. All these albums were worth getting, but it would be wise to get College Dropout and Franz Ferdinand & Gorillaz self-titled albums first. Still, all my favorite artists adequately avoided the sophomore slump, so I'm satisfied.

New Albums from Old Favorites

• Ben Folds: Songs For Silverman
  • Pat Metheny Group: The Way Up
  • The Chemical Brothers: Push the Button

Again, I can review these albums, more or less, as one. All these albums stayed conspicuously absent from anyone elses' best-of-year lists, but I have no problem saying that I loved each of these discs more or less without reservation.

The Chemical Brothers are noticably past their prime. They didn't remake Dig Your Own Hole or Exit Planet Dust, nor are they as relevant anymore even if they had. But they're still putting out fun, high-energy techno that's as good as anything else in the genre you're likely to find. If you're a fan, you won't be disappointed.

Ben Folds and Pat Metheny, on the other hand, are making music just as good as they ever have. Both of these albums are as deep, rich and rewarding as any of the stuff that got me into them in the first place. Neither of these albums are the artists' masterpieces, but there's no sign of either artist being over the hill or phoning it in either, which is really saying something after all the music they've made.

Other Good Ones

*Coldplay: X&Y
These guys are a little too whiny for me to consider myself as big a fan as most of the rest of the planet. But they do certain things well, and they did those things just as well on this album as they ever have. They didn't re-invent themselves here, but I wasn't nearly as bored with it as I expected to be, and I can't say I was disappointed.

*Thievery Corporation: The Cosmic Game
I like down-tempo techno when it's done right, and these guys make some of the best stuff I've heard in a while. This was a solidly good album, and the guest spots from The Flaming Lips and David Byrne didn't hurt either. I didn't like it quite as much as The Mirror Conspiracy, but it's smooth and hypnotic enough that I have a hard time turning it off once I start listening to it.

Like I said, I've missed a lot of stuff this year. I wouln't mind hearing Brian Eno's new one, or the new Common or Death Cab for Cutie. So this is where you come in. What are your favorites? Why? I'm looking forward to hearing good things for hipper people than I. [Smile]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
First off LOVE Thievery Corporation and Ben Folds. But the rest? Eh. Franz F.'s new album isn't 1/2 as good as their first. Don't have a taste of Kanye West, or anything else the kids are listening to these days that are in his section on the Itunes music store.

As for my faves of the year. Death Cab's is at the top of my list as well as the newest White Stripes.

But #1? BY FAR Sufjan Stevens: Come on feel the Illinoise. This album is one of the best I've heard in a long time and his songs are beautifully written.

#2 would be The Foo Fighters newest. 2 disks of rock bliss.

The rest I'll have to think of later. :-)

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
If you listen to one album this year... Check out "Speak For Yourself".

It is the first solo record released in the US by Frou Frou vocalist Imogen Heap. Specifically the songs "Hide & Seek" "Have You Got It in You?" and "Headlock"...
On Amazon

She also did a track on the Chronicles of Narnia movie.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
All the good albums came out in 2004.

But 2005 did have some of my favorite singles.

I have spoken.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Care to elaborate?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

oh and Beck's Album Guero is the best album he has ever made. Great stuff!
Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dir en grey-Withering to Death
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

All of the recent albums I liked that I can think of (and I'm going through the 2005 Billboard charts as I speak, in case something jogs my memory) were released in 2004.

Snow Patrol - "Final Straw"
The Killers - "Hot Fuss"

The new Hot Hot Heat is a 2005 release, but I haven't listened to it yet. If it's anything like the first, it's awesome. Same for the new OK Go. I also heard System of a Down's "Mezmerize," which was good, but the only part that stuck in my head was the single, "B. Y. O. B."

Basically, no album released in 2005 has completely sucked me into the band as of right now, which to me is what it takes for an album to be truly amazing.

I mean...MARIAH CAREY and RICKY MARTIN released albums. [Angst]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Panic! At the Disco - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out

SOAD's Mezmerize is definately awesome.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

quote:
Originally posted by RynoW1:
Franz F.'s new album isn't 1/2 as good as their first. Don't have a taste of Kanye West, or anything else the kids are listening to these days that are in his section on the Itunes music store.

You know, if I were to rank the discs in that first section, they'd go like this: Kanye West> Gorillaz> Franz Ferdinand.

I stand by my approval of FF's second album, but of those three it is the one that demands re-listening the least, which is a shame considering how quickly I wore out their first album.

Kanye, on the other hand... if you don't like that kind of music, I guess I couldn't recommend that you get it. But it really is a great album. It doesn't hang together as a whole quite as well as his first one, but it's packed wall-to-wall with some killer, creative and memorable jams that hold up really well with repeated listens.

quote:
Originally posted by RynoW1:
First off LOVE Thievery Corporation and Ben Folds.

Yeah, you've got to love Ben Folds. One of my favorite things about him is that his music is so well-written, catchy and fun that I never notice the lyrics. Then, after I've been singing along with his songs for months or years, suddenly, song by song, I'll listen to the words and be knocked flat by how brilliant they are. Sometimes he's funny, sometimes he's subtly satyrical, and sometimes he's poignant and profound, but he's never boring. Honestly, he's one of the best lyricists in the business right now, but he's such a good musician that I often forget that. And Songs For Silverman is just as good in both respects as I've come to expect from him.

[ December 24, 2005, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

pH
Member # 1350

Again, Kanye...I can't get past the single. I LOVE "Gold Digger." Love it to death. But the rest of his songs don't really catch my attention.

On the new MSI, I only like two songs really. "2 Hookers and an 8 Ball" and "Straight to Video." They're catchy. I like "Straight to Video" best, and it's quite possibly the most single-friendly song on the album.

There were also, in my opinion, an unusually large number of "Best of" albums released in 2005.

-pH

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There were also, in my opinion, an unusually large number of "Best of" albums released in 2005.

Eh, kinda makes me wish some had followed Type O Negative in titling it "The Least Worste of"

As for 2005 releases..
Mezmerized by SOAD is great. I haven't had the chance to listen to Hypnotized yet.

Disturbed - 10,000 Fists. I couldn't take it out of my cd player for weeks.

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats odd pH, I dont really like Gold Digger, but a few of the other tracks are great. Diamonds are from.... is the obvious one, but Roses and Gone are both growers
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I second System of a Down's album Mesmerize . I think that it is amazing.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Takk... (Sigur Rós).
Aim Right for the Holes in their Lives (Novillero).

The first one in particular is nothing short of incredible. I don't think I've heard a better album in this year's crop of releases. The second one is astonishingly infectious.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I was going to say Reise, Reise by Rammstein. But that came out in 2004. They released a CD this year, but it isn't in the United States yet, I don't think. Its probably awesome too.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Snow Patrol is releasing a fourth album in spring 2006.

It had better be amazing like the first three. You hear that, Snow Patrol? *shakes fist* Don't you let me down!

-pH

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really listen to many new artists this year. But my favorite new albums from artists I've liked for a few years were:

Harvey Danger--Little by Little
Against Me!--Searching for a Former Clarity
Tegan and Sara--So Jealous

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Jimmy Eat World - Stay on My Side Tonight (EP) had some pretty amazing stuff on it.

Open Hand - You & Me:
This album rocked me harder than any other album this year.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I would like to also say that the Gorillaz's new album was very good. I know it has been said, so I second or third or fourth that opinion.

Quite a number of the songs were catchy.

pH
Member # 1350

Okay, I thought of an album that I can't get enough of that was released in 2005.

Nine Inch Nails - "With Teeth"

*dancing around to it right now*
Will you bite the hand that feeds you? Will you stay down on your knees?

-pH

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Everytime I listen to the Hand That Feeds track, after the track is over I feel like I just listened to the same song played about 14 times in a row. Not a good thing, no matter what track it is.

Other than that, I'll second Thievery Corporation and Gorillaz for their albums this year. My Morning Jacket would by my third pick, and Coldplay fourth.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I've got Mesmerize and Hypnotize now. Both are positively incendiary, and very good, but I wouldn't go so far as to put them on the same level as Takk...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites of the year in no particular order after the first one:

The Arcade Fire - Funeral (I think this actually came out in 2004 but it is on the Grammy list for alternative album of 2005)

Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

I Am Ghost - We Are Always Searching EP

Trivium - Ascendancy

Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Boards Of Canada - Campfire Headphase

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

Gorillaz - Demon Days

Albums I missed and need to hear or only listened to once and need to hear again:

Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw

Thievery Corporation - The Cosmic Game

Sigur Ros - Takk

What I have actually been listening to more than anything in the recent months is the CBC Radio 3 podcast. They play great Canadian alternative music (Broken Social Scene, The Weakerthans, Stars, Metric, The Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Buck 65). It is definitely worth checking out. (link)

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I listen to that podcast, though I can only take so much of it at a time.
RynoW1
Member # 8365

WORD on The Arcade Fire! Awesome album!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.