FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Artist Wanted

Author Topic: Artist Wanted
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Fahim, in his search to be published and make money at it, is looking into self-publishing.

He's written a humourous sci-fi novel, but unfortunately for him, that doesn't attract agents and publishers. Other than four or five authors who publish humourous scifi/fantasy, no one seems to want to touch it because they think it won't sell. There's no market!

Anyway, he's now looking into the self-publishing route and is on the search for an artist to do a cover for him.

Anyway, here's what he has to say:

quote:
I'm looking for a specific kind of artist - one who can draw humorous/comic pictures. I'm looking for somebody to do a cover for my book but I can't draw to save my own life [Smile] You don't have to do the full cover, I can do the layout, design and stuff but I need the artwork to go on the cover be original. If anybody is familiar with the work of Josh Kirby, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. You will retain all copyrights to your work, I just want your permission to use it as my book cover. If anybody is interested, please contact me at the following address:
fahimf at gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

[ December 27, 2005, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have to be realistic looking?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know any professionals, but I know some people who are pretty good artists naturally that I could ask.

Actually, now that I think about it I know two people who have taken classes for drawing or some such, so maybe they'd be good at it.

If you want me to check it out I'd be happy to.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve - nope. Cartoon/comic.

Lyrhawn - nope to professional being necessary and yes, please to inquiring among those you know. And thank you, as well. [Smile]

Fahim says he wants a drawing, and coloring as well if they want to, but if it's scanned in, he can color it in photoshop.

Sigh. I don't know why Fahim's so lazy that he won't post in here himself. [Big Grin]
This is the sort of thing he's looking for, but this cover (and many others by the same artist) are really ornate, and Fahim doesn't need it that complicated. If they can, that's fine - what he's saying is that's the basic look he's looking for. You can see more by clicking on the links to the covers here. Specifically, Fahim loves the Josh Kirby covers (he thinks they're funny and there's tonnes of stuff in them to look at), but doesn't like the Paul Kidby covers as much.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of friends who could do it. Well, actually only one.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Let them read what I've posted above, and if they're interested, tell them to email Fahim directly.

Thanks, Steve. [Smile]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who is interested. What is Fahim's email address? And what is his hatrack name, or is it Fahim? I feel a little silly asking, like I should already know, but I'm having a blonde moment.

Gimme a break, I worked 12 hours straight today [Smile]

Also, if you could tell him to go here. That's the website of the friend who I talked to, and she said to look and see if he sees anything he likes on there, so she'll know ahead of time if he likes her stuff, as, if he doesn't, she wants some forewarning.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Gee, I thought I added Fahim's email addy. It's fahim at farook dot org, and his username here is Fahim. [Big Grin] Oh, shoot, it is in the original post, although it's a different email addy. Either one is good. [Smile]

And I've sent him the link to look at.

Thanks for letting me/him know. [Smile]

"Ooooh, she does digital art." He's looking now. [Smile]

human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll let me brother know.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, I might be willing to take a stab at it. I can't promise it will be what he is looking for. You see, as an artist I have some strong points and I have some weak points. Cartoon-ish looking work is a strong-point for me.

Here is some of my artwork.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a friend's site: http://www.goobeetsa.com

He uses an illustrator's style, but if you're interested, contact him.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginosion
Member # 7066

- posted      Profile for Ginosion   Email Ginosion         Edit/Delete Post 
http://photobucket.com/albums/d125/Ginosion/

If you like it e-mail me at Ginosion@yahoo.com

Posts: 72 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Bev, your site is asking for a password.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks, Noemon. I hope it is fixed now.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it's working now.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to do those, bev?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

The cards I just "whipped up" within a half hour or so. Some of the others were done over longer periods with touch-ups to make them look more finished. Sometimes the work just flows, other times it is quite a labor to get them out.

Fast work usually happens when I feel inspired and there is low pressure. I have a harder time when I am doing artwork *for* someone at their request. I am often not sure what their expectations are and I worry that it won't come out in a way that will please them. Commissioned work doesn't scare me if I am working in my strengths, it's when I branch out into things I know I am not as strong in that I struggle.

As an artist, I have my weaknesses. I don't do machines, buildings, and background nearly so well as I do faces, people, and animals, and I have a hard time actually getting faces to look like specific people. I also feel a lot stronger in "line" than in "color", which is why when doing artwork for myself, I often will leave it black and white. Fluid, moving shapes I do well. I can do good detail work, but it takes effort and I sometimes have to seek outside sources for inspiration (like the details on Arwen's dress).

I often feel like the art "makes itself" and I don't have that much control over the outcome. It is a bit disconcerting. [Smile] But as I do artwork more often, I know that I continue to learn and improve. That is why I like it when people ask me to do artwork--it makes me get off my duff and actually do it! [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I've told Fahim to come to this thread and check it all out. Hopefully, he'll be here soon and do just that.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. [Smile]

Fahim
Member # 5482

- posted      Profile for Fahim   Email Fahim         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all [Smile]

Thank you so much for the responses and for the links! There's some really beautiful and incredible work on all of the sites that I looked at. Of course, I tend to be really picky and I have this particular look/feel in my mind in what I'm looking for this particular cover. So I'll contact a few of the people I think would suit the look that I have in mind and see how it goes. Thanks again [Smile]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

(He actually visited! Wow!)
GOT
Member # 8976

- posted      Profile for GOT   Email GOT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by human_2.0:
I'll let me brother know.

Thanks for the props bro [Cool] I'm afraid my work is too stylized and cartoony.

Josh Kirby is going to be a hard act to follow, his work is top notch!

If one wants to brave www.cgtalk.com forums there are thousands of artists there that visit from the world round.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Originally posted by GOT:<-- My brother! [Big Grin] [Wave]
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Congratulations, human, you have a brother. [Smile] [Razz]
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Well, I've always had a brother... But not on this forum! [Blushing]
GOT
Member # 8976

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Congratulations, human, you have a brother. [Smile] [Razz]

And we're going to RULE THE WORLD [Evil Laugh]

[Razz]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
http://photobucket.com/albums/d125/Ginosion/

If you like it e-mail me at Ginosion@yahoo.com

Oh man, the Katamari one is FAN-TASTIC!

Seriously, put that on bumper stickers and assorted other merchandise (e.g. shirts) at cafepress.com and I'm willing to bet you'd make money (I'm not going to guess as to the legality of it).

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
OHHH yes i like that. very nice katamari.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, O Brother of Man! [Wink]

[Wave]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
Welcome, O Brother of Man! [Wink]

Hehe, this one made me snort...

Oh, and: welcome! [Wave]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Hey cool. He posted again. I wasn't sure he was talking to me because I still haven't helped him fix his website... O:)
GOT
Member # 8976

Thanks Raia and Corwin! [Cool]

quote:
I wasn't sure he was talking to me because I still haven't helped him fix his website... O:)

Oh yeah, I forgot that I wanted it fixed... LOL. Thanks for reminding me... now get to work! [Taunt] I have so much going on that unfortunately, if it's not an emergency or life-threatening then I don't pay it much attention (meaning the web-site... not you... hee).

quote:
Hey cool. He posted again.

Well you see, every other BB out there sends email-notifications... so I forget when I'm not reminded... uh, yeah. [Dont Know]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.