FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Has anyone here been sued by RIAA??(or know anything about copyright law?) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Has anyone here been sued by RIAA??(or know anything about copyright law?)
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Most computer users aren't literate enough to understand what the tasbar is about, let alone know to check it for processes running in the background.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it would have to be running in the background and automatically start when you turn on your computer...otherwise, after you stopped using the p2p software, you'd have to leave the program running and your computer on forever.

I'm thinking that computer users should make a point of knowing how their computers work. Ignorance is no excuse when you know how prevalent viruses and identify theft are. Know Your Computer!!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it has to be running to upload. You have to activate the program for it to upload to other users.

I know it most clients don't automatically restart until you click the icon again, although it is possible to have an upload running AFTER you activate the program for something else and still be downloading the first item unaware.

But it clearly lists what your active uploads and downloads are within the program itself.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't think the RIAA are the demons that everyone makes them out to be.

Heh.
RIAA lawers bully witnesses into perjury

Maybe they're that evil after all.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

But it clearly lists what your active uploads and downloads are within the program itself.

It did. If I were running the program now, I would have no problem figuring out what was going on. But I was fifteen and couldn't figure out how to download programs, much less read a display and tell that I was uploading songs. Mostly because, as I've stated before, I didn't have the faintest clue what uploading was. I labored under the impression that the songs I was downloading came from some fuzzy internet space; not from other people much like me who were putting them out onto the internet. All of the information in the world can be present and easily accessable, but if you're not capable of reading it, it's not going to do you much good.

The only thing I'm trying to say is that it's entirely possible for there to be hundreds of 13 year old girls out there downloading songs without the faintest clue what they're doing is illegal, or that they're uploading as well.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And my experience with fixing computers loaded down with virii, trojans, adware, spyware, toolbars, and all sorts of programs running in the background resulting in a sluggishly operating computer tells me that it's not just 13 year old girls who don't have the faintest idea what's going on with their computers. I know plenty of adults who've been using them for 5 or 10+ years who don't have a clue either.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never understood the argument that there are people that don't know what they are doing is illegal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that getting music for free is not on the up and up. The music industry is not a nonprofit organization.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The music industry is not a nonprofit organization.
Exactly. Although many, many people think that "true artists" shouldn't want to make money off their work.

Yeah, because working at Publix during the day while you're trying to plan a tour around your days off, that's the American dream, right there. [Roll Eyes]

I say, let artists make money off their work. Let the labels who put up money for the artists make money off the albums that recoup. Perhaps I'm evil, but I have no problem making money off music, be in mine or that of someone I manage, promote, or otherwise represent.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
Originally posted by Lupus:
I've never understood the argument that there are people that don't know what they are doing is illegal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that getting music for free is not on the up and up. The music industry is not a nonprofit organization.

I get books for free at the library. I never thought the publishing industry was a nonprofit organization either.

And no, I wouldn't accept that argument from an adult. but it's perfectly possible for a preteen or early teenager to just not know anything about the RIAA or copyright laws and think that kazaa or whatever the current downloading program is now is just a cool program that a friend showed them. This is why, amoung other things, we don't charge kids that age as adults when they commit crimes.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Most of the teens I know know where the music comes from, and knows they can't get in true trouble about it because they are teens...their parents can, but they can't, really.

Most of the teens I know also know a LOT more about computers and networks than the adults I know do. [Big Grin]

I am not say this was the case with you, but I doubt it usually is like that....and even in your case it still isn't a valid excuse.

The program tells you what it is doing...it is your responsibility to find out what it is saying, and what that involves.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Also..libraries PAY for the books, and you don;t get to keep a photocopy of them....and you don't get to keep them forever.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
High horses are so difficult for me to ride.

My friend is in trouble, and I was asking for advice to help her out.

Thanks to those of you who gave me information I could pass on to her.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, even if she settles, she needs a lawyer to make sure there's no possibility of future liability for anything that's happened prior to settlement.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Egads, I definitely wouldn;t have thought of that. How can they do that?

And I apologize to all for the snarky comment above. I know how Hatrack threads work, and staying on the topic the thread-starter envisioned is not usually one of those ways.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

It's not a valid legal excuse. If I get busted, I'll be pissed off, because I haven't downloaded anything for 5 years and I know people with 20 gigs of pirated music on their computers, but I'll pay the fine.

I was responding, way back in the beginning, to the disbelief that someone could be uploading and not know that they were.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Check this out Elizabeth:

Canada's biggest record label, publisher and management company is helping out a family sued by the Recording Industry Ass. Of America for copyright infringement.

The privately-owned Nettwerk Music Group is intervening, it says, because the songs downloaded and identified by the RIAA by the Gruebel family include Avril Lavigne, a Nettwerk management client. Nettwerk will fund the Gruebel's defense.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.