FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I thought Corelle was unbreakable

Author Topic: I thought Corelle was unbreakable
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
We have several correlle sandwich plates, that were stackedo on their edges in a cupboard, and when pulling one out two other fell down and broke, but I was sure they couldn't break, and there used to be a comercial where one floats across the ocean. They're probably 5 years old, and get microwaved quite a bit.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Corelle can be broken, but it takes determination, a freak accident, or excellent luck. [Wink]

I have had instances of each.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're resistant to chipping and can withstand hits from spoons and stuff, but will break if you drop them on the floor.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Not usually, unless the floor is stone.

They shatter rather impressively when they hit stone floors, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I'd dropped them before, and it's practically rubbery linoleum.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Then it was probably the angle. Or the particular piece had a (probably too small to see) scratch or crack from previous use.

Corelle is glass, don't forget.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

two pieces! I know it's glass, and the bits weren't sharp, but they were everywhere.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Corelle is hard. It's possible two are more likely to break when dropped together than one.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I know of only one case in which Corelle was broken, and that was the other day, when my dad dropped a bowl on our kitchen floor. It shattered quite impressively. They may not break often, but when they do, brother, look out. They mean business.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Maybe this week they're all going to break? [Wink]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Not usually, unless the floor is stone.

They shatter rather impressively when they hit stone floors, though.

::nods::

They do the same thing on stone walls. Even when the corelle bowl is filled with leftover spaghetti.

In my defense, when I was swinging it around I didn't know that my lunchbag had developed a small tear.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [Laugh] Noemon!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm very good at breaking dishes, and I can attest to the fact that, while not as breakable as stoneware, Corelle can be broken. Into wickedly sharp long pointy shards. Like the devil himself has just possessed the soul of your salad plate.

And I break wineglasses so often, they might as well be disposable.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I broke a plate today. [Frown] I tripped on the stairs and fell and hit my face on the edge of a table and shattered the plate, getting the pieces all mixed up with the last of the mushroom burgers my mother left in the kitchen for me.

I would like unbreakable plates.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
And we usually found shards of French White in the groutwork for weeks and weeks to come...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Corelle is 3 layers of glass, with different tempers, to create a tension in the outer layers which resists chipping. When it does break, the internal tension causes it to shatter spectacularly.

Corning experimented with a 7 layer version, which they thought would be virtually indestructible. The story I heard from one of their engineers was that they asked a major league pitcher to throw a cup into a hallway made of stonework, to prove that it wouldn't break.

If fact it didn't, at first. But the guy kept trying it, until he managed it. The cup went off like a fragmentation grenade, leaving small pieces in all the crevices in the hallway, which continued to crackle and throw off shards for another week. Corning decided that even though it was really hard to break, the fragmentation effect was too dangerous to allow them to sell the product.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I would like unbreakable plates. -pH

I believe your wish can be fulfilled. Look for plates in either plastic or paper. Or be really cool, and use chunks of bread. [Wink]

When my brother was about 7 (gee, over two decades ago), he broke a lot of dishes. Consequently, mom brought the supposedly unbreakable Corelle.

He proudly showed his best friend the new, unbreakable dishes, and lifted a plate up and threw it down to the ground to demonstrate. It shattered. [Roll Eyes]

Mom got a complete new set free of charge out of the bargain, however. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
My parents bought their first Corelle dishes back in the early 80's. I remember a very few of them breaking, into 2 or 3 pieces; they never shattered.

After we began using a microwave oven (mid 80's) the breakage rate went up and the dishes began to shatter into thousands of tiny shards. My parents are convinced that the microwave oven caused a fundamental change in the Corelle that caused them to shatter.

They bought a new set of Corelle a few years ago, and they still use them in the microwave oven but their breakage rate is virtually zero now.

I think it's due to the fact that their 5 kids no longer live at home!

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn Arnold, thank you for that most wonderfully geek answer. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silkie
Member # 8853

- posted      Profile for Silkie   Email Silkie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
We have several correlle sandwich plates, that were stackedo on their edges in a cupboard, and when pulling one out two other fell down and broke, but I was sure they couldn't break, and there used to be a comercial where one floats across the ocean. They're probably 5 years old, and get microwaved quite a bit.

Corelle explodes on ceramic tile - I found that out the hard way! I think I remember a casserole breaking on a 'regular' floor once long ago. I also remember dropping Corning Ware (the OLD name for it [Wink] ) by accident and having it 'bounce' but not break.

The crack theory sounds possible, or dropping it at just the right angle.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My freshman year of college, my roommate and I bought entirely plastic dishes because they were "drunk proof." [Razz] Mine were Spider-man.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
Corelle is 3 layers of glass, with different tempers, to create a tension in the outer layers which resists chipping. When it does break, the internal tension causes it to shatter spectacularly.

Corning experimented with a 7 layer version, which they thought would be virtually indestructible. The story I heard from one of their engineers was that they asked a major league pitcher to throw a cup into a hallway made of stonework, to prove that it wouldn't break.

If fact it didn't, at first. But the guy kept trying it, until he managed it. The cup went off like a fragmentation grenade, leaving small pieces in all the crevices in the hallway, which continued to crackle and throw off shards for another week. Corning decided that even though it was really hard to break, the fragmentation effect was too dangerous to allow them to sell the product.

Heh, I find that funny. Instead of making plates they made weapons.

Private: General, the shipment of the new weapons has arrived.

General: Good, let me see them.

*opens crate*

General: Sweet monkey beans, they mixed up our weapons with a shipment of china! Private, find out where our weapon shipment is.

Private: Sir, the crates say weapons.

General: What do the except me to do with plates? Eat off them?
*Throws plate out window*

*Explosion*

Private: I don't think thats what they had in mind, sir.

I have to go to bed, I let myself runaway with things when I get tired. Sorry about that, night all [Sleep]

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Vasslia, I'm thinking you need to come out and play more often. Tired? Pshaw! [Razz]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn, that really is a cool explanation. Thanks!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"I also remember dropping Corning Ware (the OLD name for it."

Corelle was always called Corelle. Corning has had a variety of product lines, each with different properties. Corning Ware is a generic name for any of those product line, but dishes marketed as Corning Ware were ceramic, not glass. There was also Futura Ware, and PyroCeram, which was a glass ceramic, which in my opinion was far superior to Corelle.

DSH is probably correct, the microwave won't damage the Corelle directly, but if the food on the plate is greasy, it can cause non-uniform heating, and disturb the temper, which makes it more fragile.

The Corning Ware division in Charleroi Pennsylvania was sold to a company called World Kitchen (I think). Corning Inc. only makes high quality optical glass fiber now. World Kitchen has discontinued PyroCeram, which is a real shame.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

One other item about Pyroceram:

The material was created for the heat shield for the Command Module of the Apollo space program.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, since they discontinued it, I haven't found an equivalent substitute for my nose cone. Any suggestions?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Well, they still make Visions, which is about the same material only clear.

So you could have a transparent nose cone, but I don't really want to think about it.

Why is it that every time I see your name I think of Tweety and Sylvester?

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Pirate Prince Rupert's evil eye drops
Wear safety goggles if you have (or make) an opportunity to try these out. Contrary to assertions in the articles, powdered glass is not harmless to the eyes, sinuses, and lungs. Nor is there a surety that the glass will fully powderize during the explosion: larger and very sharp shards can occur with only a slight variance in the forming&cooling process.
Do NOT try the "prank" described in the articles. Monarchs also got away with beheading people.

Also ran across Blaschka glass. If you're ever in Massachusetts or England, make the opportunity to view these masterworks.

[ January 01, 2006, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
Corning ware is fantastic. My set was onthe stove, had a house fire, dropped to basement, has melted steel on the outside, but still could be used.

The fire was a long time ago, I saved CaySedai and Kiraa, he save the income tax and my maternity clothes, which I never needed again.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.