FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do you put in your Jello? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What do you put in your Jello?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm.

Lime jello (before water and mixing - just the dry stuff.) Mandarin oranges. Cool Whip. Cottage cheese.

Mix.

Set.

Enjoy.

Nummy.

Plan on a sugar high.

*smiles*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
The jello we get here is Halal-certified. I don't know if it's because they use Halal animal hooves or fish or vegetarian sources, but at any rate, it sets just like normal jello from Canada.

We also don't have a problem with devilled and other seasoned nuts being Halal - they are, but perhaps that's because of the Halal jello. [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peek
Member # 7688

- posted      Profile for Peek   Email Peek         Edit/Delete Post 
gin and jello. make sure it's cold, but do not gel it. just put in the jello, the hot water, and the gin and the drink is beautiful. if you take too long; like nursing your drink, it will gel and it will be disgusting and warm.

dude [Cool] peekaboo

Yeah.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait....people put things in their jello?

I mean, besides stuff for making jello shots. [Wink]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xnera:

I made Jello cake for Christmas! I loooooooooove Jello cake. Bake a white cake mix following directions on package, and cool. Stab it with a fork a couple dozen times. Dissolve a packet of Jello in one cup boiling water, and pour over cake. Stick in fridge until set, and top it with Cool Whip.

OK, for a Shabbos dessert, I tried this. I bought an angel food cake and stabbed it, then poured the raspberry kojel over it. I mixed some raspberry kojel (while still hot) with the Kosher Cool-Whip like stuff, and covered the cake with it (also filling in the hole in the middle of the angel food cake. I set it in the refrigerator to firm up.

It looked just like the pink cake in "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back"! My family and Shabbos guests went nuts and ate it all up (but not in the bath tub).

I guess you can have your cholent and your jello, too!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shan:
Lime jello (before water and mixing - just the dry stuff.) Mandarin oranges. Cool Whip. Cottage cheese.

Ewwwww. I can never understand how people can like mixing sweet stuff with cottage cheese. In my family, cottage cheese goes with savory dishes, like pot pie or spaghetti.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I like cottage cheese with sweet but not sugary fake stuff, like real uncanned peaches, or pineapple. Or with pepper on it's own.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, I love cottage cheese made into German Cheese Cake. Very very nummy, but not as rich as the cream cheese variety. [Smile] Or Cottage Cheese Pancakes with maple syrop on it. Yum!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
In my family, we don't believe in cottage cheese.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
quote:
Originally posted by Shan:

Ewwwww. I can never understand how people can like mixing sweet stuff with cottage cheese. In my family, cottage cheese goes with savory dishes, like pot pie or spaghetti.

--Mel

Mel! It's delightful! Give it a try!

Mack - I'm inclined to agree with you with the one small exception of this particular dish. *grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Do any of you frummies know of a way to stiffen up kosher jello? And can you make Rice Krispy cookies with Fluff?

Two questions on which I possess expert knowledge [Smile] . You shouldn't follow the water/gelatin ratio on the box, I increase the ratio by 3/2. (Ummm...2/3, I meant to write)

And you can make Rice Krispy treats with fluff. They are not as solid, but better tasting.

[ January 01, 2006, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Minerva ]

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i really like putting mandarin oranges into my orange jello. its always a nice treat.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my family, we don't believe in cottage cheese.
Mine, either.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little, I used to stuff big black olives with cottage cheese and eat them. [Smile]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
One package unflavored gelatin dissolved in a small amount of boiling water, diced maraschino cherries plus juice from them, one large can non-dairy whip (whipped).

Made lovely cherry mousse. The kids loved it almost as much as the cholent. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! The Jews are all eating Jell-o! What hath Hatrack wrought?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And it's all your fault. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You think we can get the LDS crowd to start eating cholent?
rivka
Member # 4859

I think we have a better shot with kugel.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
When I was little, I used to stuff big black olives with cottage cheese and eat them. [Smile]

-pH

I must try this.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

They're good with cream cheese too.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I think we have a better shot with kugel.

Well, who wouldn't eat a nice luction kugel?
rivka
Member # 4859

You spell lukshen funny. [Wink]

And I like noodle kugel, but my kids prefer souffle-type kugels.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, it rhymes with "suction"...
rivka
Member # 4859

O_o I suppose it does, sort of.
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, now you've done it. My mouth is watering so I am making Jell-o.

*leaves the computer to rummage through the pantry*

Will update...

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, my mouth still ain't watering at the thought of jello.

But I am going to see if I can get me some cottage cheese next time we get groceries. [Big Grin]

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish we had cottage cheese or cool whip. I did orange jell-o mixed with canned grapefruit and oranges. But I don't read directions well. It says to hold off adding fruit until it is partially set and I just threw it all in together. Oh well.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I was little, I used to stuff big black olives with cottage cheese and eat them
...that explains so much!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.