FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Bedroom

Author Topic: New Bedroom
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I haven't been online in the last week very much. Why? Because Chris and I promised ourselves that after living in this house for a year and not having one single room finished we would kick our butts in gear and actually sleep New Year's Eve in a newly remodeled bedroom. (We've been sleeping in what will eventually become the den)

So we really kicked butt last week and got the bedroom finished. I have photos of the room before remodeling and after.

Let me know what you think. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa.

That's pretty cool.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Nice!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought we were doing good just to get new sheets this Christmas . . .

[Smile] It looks good, Karl. Great work.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Lookin good Karl.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That's absolutely gorgeous, Karl! Did you two restain/paint or swap out the woodwork?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the doors/woodwork glow.

Cute kitty, too!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap. That's AMAZING. Come do mine!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Nice work you two!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

All remodels should come with kitties.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright! More pictures!

... So what's your next project?

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks great.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks gorgeous, KarlEd, and I love your puddytat. *purrrrrrr*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desta
Member # 8777

- posted      Profile for desta   Email desta         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see your other rooms when they are finished. You two did a wonderful job on your bedroom. Congrats!!
Posts: 22 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel tov on the great job. Sleep well!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, that is amazing
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Actually, we didn't do anything special to the woodwork. Luckily, the woman who owned the house before us took pretty good care of it. It just needs to be cleaned really well in a few spots.

It's funny, though. Chris did a better job of taping the woodwork before we painted than she did so there is a thin line of her paint all along the woodwork edges.

We have several closets in the house, but none of them are even as deep as a hanger, so we can't really hang much in them. That's why we took the little alcove and made it into a closet space behind curtains.

I don't think the photos show it well, but the paint job came out better than I expected. We painted one accent wall burgundy (to match the carpet), but when we were done it looked almost cranberry, and we didn't have quite enough paint to cover the wall adequately. The other walls were a butter-cream color with gold glaze ragged on and we had plenty of gold left over so we decided to cover the accent wall with gold with a paint roller, then before it could dry we rubbed off as much as we could. Since it was glaze, it was pretty wet still and it just left behind a thin sheen with gold showing up in the pits and rough spots in the wall. The previous paint had some sand in it so there was plenty of texture to highlight. In the end, that wall looks like old worn leather when the lighting is right. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
So cool! What a great place to go at the end of the day!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
It is fantastick! I really like what you did. You may be one of the few people that could make my dorm room look like anything. Are you coming near Georgia anytime soon?
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Gorgeous! Love the burgandy wall.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Meow. [Smile]

My favorite part is the bedspread. And the cat. And the closet area. And the accent wall sounds beautiful from your description, but you're right that the photos don't do it justice.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Great dragons! The room is beautiful.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
It looks lovely. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking that I really liked the faux finish burgundy wall. Talk about making the most out of the resources you had. Looks great!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that looks great! Ron and I fixed up our bedroom last year, and went with a very similar color scheme.

Wish ours had a kitty, too. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Super, Karl and Chris! I love it.

Happy New Year!!

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, nice work there.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I love dark, dramatic color schemes. Enjoy your new room. [Smile]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful work, gentlemen!! What room is next?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm impressed guys, I love dark walls as well. My bedroom sitting room is painted crimson, and my library wall is also a dark red.

You've reminded me of all the work I want to get done this winter. KarlEd, you're always inspiring me to do projects. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the cat. I thought it was a great touch. Did he come with the bed?
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
Beautiful work, gentlemen!! What room is next?

Well, since we finished the bedroom, we were able to move the bed out of the TV/Game room (or "den" or "casual living room" or whathaveyou), so now that that room is practically empty, we thought we'd do that one. (Then, as soon as John is finished with the diningroom mural, we'll do that room).
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
I liked the cat. I thought it was a great touch. Did he come with the bed?

Well, from the way Chris contorts himself when he sleeps to avoid disturbing the little squirt you'd sure think so. (Well, him or one of the other two at any given moment.) [Wink]
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, your bed is way too small, or that cat is way too big. I couldn't sleep with another person in a bed that small. But maybe that's just me.

And living in a hundred year old house myself, I have to ask, where the heck did people put their clothes? Were hangars not invented a hundred years ago? We have three bedrooms and only one of them actually has a closet in in and it's really tiny. I can't figure out where anyone in the last hundred years has put their clothing.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

We have one coat closet under the staircase in the foyer that is a decent size. We have "closets" in all of the bedrooms, but you'd be hard pressed to put a thick winter coat in to any of them, even if you hung it sideways.

It's a good thing both Chris and I are "out". We'd have no space at all, otherwise. [Wink]

Regarding the bed, the photos must be deceptive. It's a queen-sized bed (what else? [Big Grin] ), so there's plenty of room for both of us plus 1-3 cats. But we sleep close, too, and have easily made do with a standard sized bed. Oh, and there are 3 layers of pillows on the bed in the photo, which probably makes it look even smaller.

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Queen sized bed, indeed. [ROFL]

We had a king size bed and it still wasn't big enough. Of course, the fact that my husband insisted on sleeping on 3/4 of it didn't help, or the fact that the snored like. . . actually, the tech said he'd never heard anything like it.

But even if I had a husband who managed to stay on his own side of the bed, I still don't think I could handle a queen sized bed. I'm too claustrophobic. [Blushing]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I'd love a queen sized bed. (At least then we could fit me, hubby and a BOOK!) But my bedroom's too small.

We really need a bigger house. [Blushing]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that is such an awesome room! I really like the cream colored walls and the bedspread.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Thanks all. I'll post more photos when we get more rooms done.

[Big Grin] Heading home now to my new room. I'm gonna sit on the bead and work on a beading project. [Big Grin]

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a teenager, my Dad redid an old 1870s tavern. None of the bedrooms had closets at all and there were just a couple of small closets under the two staircases there.

His answer was to turn one of the central pass-through rooms into a corridor lined with nothing but closets. My grandfather also built my sister and I our own armoires (I still use mine in our home today).

Here's the website for the old tavern, which has been turned into a bed and breakfast. (My old bedroom was on the upper floor, left hand side).

The Buffalo Tavern

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

That's a beautiful place. I've been to Boone and Blowing Rock. Did you ever visit the old "Land of Oz" themepark near Boone?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.