FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Breaking Unconfirmed News: Prime Minister Sharon has died

Author Topic: Breaking Unconfirmed News: Prime Minister Sharon has died
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard it on WFMU Jersey City, via internet radio.

Not officially confirmed by Israel's government, but the reporter seemed confident in his sources.

David Levine, Israel bureau chief for a news agency reported it. Sharon reportedly died at 4am EST.

Rest In Peace, Sharon.

edit to add unconfirmed--I cannot find another source for this after 1 hour. I apologize if I relayed incorrect news.
edit 2: added "minister" . Frick!

[ January 05, 2006, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Hmm, nobody on Google news is reporting this. If true, Levine got quite a scoop, in modern electronic news terms.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not seeing anything on it yet, either.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Levine is with the "Israel Resource News Agency", if I heard it correctly.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
NY Times report on Sharon and Serious Stroke
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Oops, it was "David Bedein, Bureau Chief Israel Resource News Agency", not Levine. I misheard his name.

I bet after getting so horribly burned last night with the misreporting of the WV coal miners deaths, MSM is playing it safe on this.

Morbo
Member # 5309

Here's a website for Israel Resource News Agency: http://www.israelbehindthenews.com/

It mentions Bedein, but not this breaking news...
edit: I found it googling, but Bedein just memntioned it in his closing remarks as his webpage.

Bedein SPECULATED that the news is being supressed briefly until the Israeli stock market closes in a few hours. Then the official announcement would come, and the market might close tomorrow to prevent market troubles, to reopen Mon.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I also think that the recent mining incident should illustrate why this sort of speculation might not be a good idea. Let's still hope for the best, for the time being.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked the web site for the Jerusalem Post. They say he's in an induced coma. The report says there has been brain damage.

If he has died, they probably are reluctant to announce it. [Frown] [Frown]

I wonder what effect this will have on the peace process and the future of Israel.

*edited because I can't spell this early in the morning*

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
He hasn't died. But a doctor I know at Hadassah hospital said this:
quote:
It's sad that some of my medical colleagues didn't exactly tell the truth 3 weeks ago on the health of Ariel Sharon. check //groups.google.com for what I had written on the PRIOR MULTIPLE STROKES that Ariel Sharon had (and was hidden and denied by certain people) That's why his MRI was never disseminated publicly.

I even placed a bet with a very senior Israeli "journalist" that at the press conference of the medical personnel, he would NEVER receive a digital copy of the MRI...

Subarachnoid hemorrhage is a very serious, life threatening disorder.

For the record, while I'm not celebrating Sharon's illness, I'm extremely happy, as are many Israelis, that he will probably not be in any position to do further harm in the future. I wish him long years of being able to play with his grandchildren in retirement.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to his new party. Almost everyone in the party has either been indicted, arrested, imprisoned, or at the very least under investigation for criminal activities. What probably set off this most recent set of strokes was the announcement by the Israeli police that they had solid evidence of him accepting millions of dollars in bribes, and the calls from all over the political spectrum for him to resign.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For the record, while I'm not celebrating Sharon's illness, I'm extremely happy, as are many Israelis, that he will probably not be in any position to do further harm in the future.
This is inappropriate. Sharon has a family and friends that certainly aren't happy that he had a stroke, and whatever your political stances or motivations, it's abominable to be happy about someone elses misfortune.

It's disgusting.

You may as well be handing out candy in the streets with Palestinian children right now...

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
quote:
For the record, while I'm not celebrating Sharon's illness, I'm extremely happy, as are many Israelis, that he will probably not be in any position to do further harm in the future.
This is inappropriate. Sharon has a family and friends that certainly aren't happy that he had a stroke, and whatever your political stances or motivations, it's abominable to be happy about someone elses misfortune.

It's disgusting.

You may as well be handing out candy in the streets with Palestinian children right now...

Considering what Sharon has done FOR the Palestinians they should be more upset about this stroke then anyone.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
Considering what Sharon has done FOR the Palestinians they should be more upset about this stroke then anyone.
There's too much hate between the two to ever have any hope of peace.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
He's not dead. He's just in a severe coma, and for all political purposes, can no longer participate. So, I guess he's dead politically.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silkie
Member # 8853

- posted      Profile for Silkie   Email Silkie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Derrell:
I just checked the web site for the Jerusalem Post. They say he's in an induced coma. The report says there has been brain damage.

If he has died, they probably are reluctant to announce it. [Frown] [Frown]

I wonder what effect this will have on the peace process and the future of Israel.

*edited because I can't spell this early in the morning*

Since so many complex political issues rest on this news, no doubt whatever we are being told will be edited.

If he is on life support, with brain damage, then the moment that the family removes the life support may well be the moment of his 'death.'

I too wish him many years of playing with his grandchildren, but the possibility of him doing that does not look good.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
quote:
I hope you didn't hurt yourself when your knee jerked. I wish him well and long years. But out of politics, where he can't do any more harm.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
I hope you didn't hurt yourself when your knee jerked. I wish him well and long years. But out of politics, where he can't do any more harm.
It's not a knee-jerk reaction, merely an instinctive reation to repugnant behaviour on your part.

At least let the man die before celebrating the benefits of his demise.

Lisa
Member # 8384

See, but I don't want to be wishing for him to go ahead and do that.

And for the record, if a head of state had done to you what this man did to me and mine, you wouldn't be so broadminded.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
A whole lot of people who are part of "yours" don't agree with your assessment of what Sharon did.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:

That course of thought is completely uncalled for.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Consider the source.

Are you really surprised?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Consider starLisa's "me and mine".

[ January 05, 2006, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: Ariel ben Devorah.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Hamson:
quote:

Really? I thought it was called for. Go figure.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Tell me you're kidding. I'm not about to daven for him to get worse or to die, but I'm certainly not going to daven for him to get better.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
That is a really sucky thing to say, Lisa. Even black-hat Jews who disagree with his politics were quoted on the news as saying they hoped he would get better.

I am surprised you would have such a callous attitude.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Well, the latest news reports indicate that the 3rd surgery and subsequent brain scan show good results.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*agrees with Ela*

Also, whatever sort of politician he may be, he is still a human being. If he wakes up but can no longer function as one, some people (myself included) feel that that is a fate worse than death. I know I am hoping that he comes out of this soon, and reasonably healthy.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Tell me you're kidding. I'm not about to daven for him to get worse or to die, but I'm certainly not going to daven for him to get better.
No, I am most emphatically not kidding. While I detest the man's politics, and disagree with many of the decisions he made, he is a yid. He has a family.

And if you really meant what you said about him getting time to play with his grandchildren, you would be saying Tehillim for him too.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that some "rabbis" in Israel gave him Ayin Harah and prayed for him to get sick. I think that's disgusting. Regardless of whether you agree with his politics or not, I think he was doing what he thought was best for Israel.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Really? I "hear" all sorts of things -- but that doesn't mean I believe 'em.

I find this one particularly difficult to believe.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.