FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HBO's "The Wire": Greatest cop show of all time?

Author Topic: HBO's "The Wire": Greatest cop show of all time?
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
The program concerns the "war on drugs" in Baltimore as told from the perspective of both the cops and criminals. I think it's the only program on tv these days that's truly deserving of the lable "masterpiece." Every episode breaths authentcity and a depth that just simply overwhelms at times. We complain tv is often dumb, but I actually find myself concentrating to keep up with this show.

I think about shows like "The Shield" or "Law & Order" and can't help but feel that they are exploitative and deliberately sensational/violent. Let's not even talk about "CSI." "The Wire" on the other hand often features sprawling, impressive writing from a team of writers who actually know about inner-city Baltimore and the drug situation (with novelists like George Pelescanos and Dennis Lehane on board too).

It's been getting lackluster ratings--threatened to get cancelled several times, but is now miraculously coming back for a fourth season. I'm dying for the third season dvd...:/

any other fans?

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Somalian,

I couldn't agree with you more. I think it is hands down the best TV show ever written and filmed! It's a shame that it doesn't do big rating numbers like "The Sopranos", but I'm so glad it's coming back for a fourth season. It's not the first well written and well acted cop drama about Baltimore Streets that did not get its just due in its time, "Homicide: Life of the Streets " takes that mark.

-nal

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
naledge, it is indeed a fine contender for the position of "best tv show ever." If it isn't a success in ratings at least it's a definite success artistically and creatively. It's like they got together the most talented character actors working out there, and give you unfurling plots that develop like a novel and never cease to be compelling. The character of Stringer Bell is every bit as chilling and cool as Michael Corleone.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Easily the best long form television show on the air, much like Homicide. The Luther Mahoney story arc on H: Lots remains perhaps the greatest storyline in any drama I've ever seen. Homicide from 1993-1997 was the best television show I'd ever seen, by a country mile. Now the Wire fights for the title. Why wannabees like NYPD Blue and/or Nash Bridges could ever garner the ratings they did, while Homicide languished is a television tragedy on an even greater scale than losing Arrested Development (hard to believe that the only two non-animated comedies that can provoke any laughter whatsoever are both on life support: Scrubs and Arrested Development). I'll never understand the viewing public.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I only saw the first season.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw AD...and I am glad it is canceled. I hated it like I have hated few shows...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not for everyone Kwea, much like everyone didn't get Seinfeld, but sometimes, as in this case, something "isn't for you," rather than cr@p. Kind of like movies like "Gone with the Wind," or certain types of music. Now something like, "According to Jim,", or "Full House," is another story entirely. Utterly without redeeming qualities. There is a reason AD won so many awards and was on so many critics "Top comedy of the year list." For whatever reason it just didn't work for you, which happens to all of us in regards to all art forms in some form or another.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.