FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Primal Curve - Can you direct me to that awsome chili recipe?

Author Topic: Primal Curve - Can you direct me to that awsome chili recipe?
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
PC-

You posted a terrific chili recipe some time back and I can't find my copy.

Can you direct me to the thread or post it again? I've looked, but I can't seem to find the thread.

My son is craving your chili!

Thanks,

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. I put it up on Dag's recipe site.

Beer and Coffee Chili

<gasps> Gall darn long URLS!

Man! I edited this thing like 4 times! My UBB sucks like Yugoslavian vacuum cleaner.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
That was good chilli.

I'll have to wait to winter to make it again though.

I was thinking of adding some more beans (not sure what variety) next time.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Oh delicious chili!

More beans? There's 4 freaking cans of them.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's winter in the northern hemisphere, imogen!

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of "fresh hot chile peppers" do you use? I really don't know anything about the different varieties.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Oh yeah, and cumin seeds? Are they hard to get? Would ground cumin work?

Sorry for the "20 questions" (give or take a few)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I can get cumin seeds by the kilogram bag here. [Razz] So, no, not hard to get.

On the other hand, if you're not in the land of curries...

Seriously, though, yeah, they should be easy enough to find. If you can't find them in the spice aisle, look in the Asian/Indian section of your grocery store.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

No, don't sweat it.

I use ground cumin but have used cumin seeds as well with possibly better results. They're not hard to get at all.

I use jalapeņos, though I have some tips on that. Always, always, always wear some kind of protection on your hands when you are seeding and chopping the jalapeņos. I use latex gloves. The juice from the jalapeņos stays on your fingers even after vigorous washing and burns like a mother if you touch any sensitive skin or mucus membranes (like when you pick your nose).

Also, make sure you cook the chili for the entire time (make sure to schedule a couple of good hours. If you don't, the chili will be way too spicy. Give it the full treatment. If it's still too hot, the next time you make it, swap out a couple of the peppers for some plain ol' green peppers or a milder pepper (such as Anaheim). I do this because my wife doesn't like spicy food at all.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

thanks for the tips!
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My UBB sucks like Yugoslavian vacuum cleaner.
Which sucks rather like. . . Pat.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Another tip on the jalapeņos:
The easiest way to seed and chop them is to slice them lenthwise from the stem to the tip (after first removing both ends). Then take a teaspoon and sort of scrape out all the pale colored flesh and seeds from the inside, leaving only the green spicy goodness behind. Then cut lenthwise strips from the pepper making sort of fat matchsticks. Then slice across a big stack of them for nicely diced peppers.

When I make this recipe, I always assemble the dry ingredients before I start. Because there's sort of this short-lived scramble right after you brown the meat, I like to make it as hectic-free as possible by having everything assembled, on-hand and ready to just dump into the pot as soon as possible.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I use jalapeņos, though I have some tips on that. Always, always, always wear some kind of protection on your hands when you are seeding and chopping the jalapeņos. I use latex gloves. The juice from the jalapeņos stays on your fingers even after vigorous washing and burns like a mother if you touch any sensitive skin or mucus membranes (like when you pick your nose).

I know I'm a freak of nature and all, but does anyone know why peppers don't affect me? It doesn't matter whether the peppers are Anaheim, Thai, jalapeno, or habanero, in decades of chopping & using peppers, I never remove the seeds, I've never used gloves, I take no special precautions, I don't vigorously wash (just regular wash unless I'm chopping up other veggies right after, in which case I wait until I'm done all of it), I touch my eyes or face or who knows what, and I've never had a problem with any burning or irritation of any kind. Ever.

For the record, I do highly recommend the plastic glove method of dealing with hot peppers by every other human around other than me.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quid, I guess you are just a tough woman! ('cept when it comes to creepy critters) [Wink]
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, PC!
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Oh, and drain the beans!
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Always, always, always wear some kind of protection on your hands when you are seeding and chopping the jalapeņos. I use latex gloves. The juice from the jalapeņos stays on your fingers even after vigorous washing and burns like a mother if you touch any sensitive skin or mucus membranes
The man speaks truth. That oil will stay with you (especially inside any areas where you've got a callus, so if you play guitar, watch that left hand...or right...if you're left handed...).

I have been dropped to the floor by jalapeno oil on my contact. It's not an experience I'd care to repeat.

Ever.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Bob and Dana had an experience with chile peppers.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Also, weird.
I have been thinking about this recipe, and wanted to try it, and was just about to go and find it.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

For those of you doing Weight Watchers who might want to try this recipe, it is 4 points per cup.

I put it into my online recipe builder.

Then lost it to cyberspace. Grrr.

But I did remember the points. Just use the leanest meat possible.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Even with Beer and Sugar it's only 4 points?

Wow.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I used the full amount of beans last time. We didn't have enough, and I couldn't be bothered to go to the shops.

So next time I will use the recommended amount and see what happens.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

PC,
The beer and sugar are not that many points, when distributed through the whole pot.

When I make it, I will measure how much there actually is, because it might be less.

Also, the cut of meat makes a big difference. I used 85%(I think) but if you used the 90% hamburger or sirloin it would be even less. You could also use chicken broth to saute the onions, instead of oil. (Broth is "free,")

And another thing, the recipe would be, basically, free if someone is on the Core program.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

So you made it? Did you like it?
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
This chili is simmering away on my stove right now and it smells absolutely delightful. I am getting very impatient!
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Best. Chili. Ever.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
any tips for those of us who are wierd (i.e. don't drink coffee, have no coffee maker, and don't know if there is an easy way to make a cup without above skills/apparatus) feel free to just yell at me and say: "there's Folgers single-serving tea-like packets that have simple directions"

because this is making me want some dang Chili!

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

I got my coffee premade out of the deli of the grocery store. You could just stop at any coffee shop and buy a cup, too.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on making this for a football weekend coming up soon. Thanks, Jeni, for finding and bumping this thread [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I wonder how this would be with venison instead of beef, since we have 42 pounds of it in the freezer. I'll have to get the ingredients and try it out.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

You can always make cowboy coffee. Just bring some water to a boil and toss the grounds right in. Stir it a little bit and then let the grounds float to the bottom. After the coffee is good and strong (not hard wit this method), get out a cup and use that. Don't worry if there are some grounds in the cup. They'll just add to the flavor.

I'm glad you liked the chili, Jeni. It's a fav of mine.

Oh, and BUMP.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
feel free to just yell at me and say: "there's Folgers single-serving tea-like packets that have simple directions"

Ok.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Did I mention that I made this last night and it was freaking awesome as usual?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Double batch tonight.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Mmm.... chili.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.