FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone else play Morrowind?

Author Topic: Anyone else play Morrowind?
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought it using some Christmas money, and if anyone else plays it, I'd like to hear some of your strategies- favorite classes, weapons and armor, etc.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some avid MW fans around here, myself included. My best character was a high level Nord playing the role of a plunderer. Mostly good, but felt free to liberate the equipment needed for my tasks. He had a mild mistrust of magic users, as well. They had a tendency to get axed, badly.

I like to use matching armor, I 'borrowed' a set of Adamantium, and I wield a mix of two handed axes and sword/shield.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
He had a mild mistrust of magic users, as well. They had a tendency to get axed, badly.

[ROFL]

I set myself on God mode and taunted one of the gaurds until he attacked me. THat armor is some good stuff for the beginning of the game, let me tell you.

And I thouroughly enjoy being a mercenary- I can take out my real-life anger at stupid teachers on a program. Pretty nice.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
You cheated? At Morrowind? Wow, the game is going to get really old, really fast if there's no challenge.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Oh, I know. It was actually a friend telling me to type in something. I didn't know what I was doing at the time. Trust me, I turned it off after I figured out what had happened. But it was fun while it lasted.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing about morrowind is getting killed *repeatedly* for trying to do some inane task, like kill four rats.

I actually abandon characters after they get too high level for a fight to be a challenge anymore. That, or I go around slaughtering every humanoid I can find.

I usually end up with a really blended character, using magic for everything I don't really want to spend the time to learn. I do recommend picking up the Boots of Blinding Speed if you're playing a Breton, other races they don't do you so much good.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I play. It's really the only computer game I've played, though. Well, it and Heroes of Might and Magic. So I'm mostly just having fun wandering around. I don't know any tips or anything.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have the expansion packs? The one that takes place within an area of the city starts sending ninja-like assassins after your character while you're fairly low level (or it did for me, anyway--I installed both expansion packs that were available when I was playing the game and played the game with them from the beginning. Anyway, when you're a low level character they're they're pretty deadly opponents, but their armor is incredibly good, and is worth a fortune (again, for a low level character). I ended up being thrilled when one would come after me, as it meant free money.

If you've got tons of high value stuff to sell and no one to sell it to, there is a talking mudcrab merchant with infinite wealth on an island out in the middle of nowhere in...I'm not sure, it's been too long, but I think it's in an ocean in the southeast. Be careful with him though--it's pretty easy for him to get killed if you have a random encounter on his island.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this game. I was anemic when I was pregnant and had no energy and playing Morrowind was pretty much all I did. I am eagerly awaiting the release of Oblivion (due out tentatively in March *grumble*).

My favorite character was probably a redguard but I couldn't tell you why. I created several other characters and never liked them as much as I liked her. I have played the game several times on different "quests" and I think I liked being a theif the best and I didn't like being a mage.

I have to agree about the ninja guys in the expansion pack. They will kick your butt but the armor is wonderful. If you don't have the expansion pack, my advice to make money is to steal all the weapons, armor and houseware items you can and sell them to the creeper.

I like medium armor and long swords myself and the green glass armor is pretty cool too.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Morrowind. I bought a new PC so I could play it, then played it almost exclusively for 18-20 months, creating character after character after character. Adding mods. Making mods. Deleting my crappy mods becuz I was so bad at them. But wow. I loved this game.

And I still haven't ever gone through the main quest story line. I got my "Orc Samurai" up to the 5th trial or so, but. . . . didn't finish. My "Imperial Paladin" was fun. I boosted his Personality all the way up a la the 2nd Edition D&D Paladin. He could persuade anyone to do anything -- that was fun. I went through several different attempts at making "classes" and found that what I really enjoyed most was the fighter/mage. Well. . .mage with blunt skill using the Skullcrusher artifact hammer and carring a nice daedric tower shield enchanted for max strength. . . . Mage spells could duplicate all the thief skills, and fighting was easier than nuking. . . . basically it was the "jack-of-all-trades, master-of-all too." Nord race, taking the Atronach sign, boosting INT as much as possible for more mana. . . . . . worked great.

Most of the mods I used were cosmetic only, but some added new guilds, dungeons, areas, etc. I suggest Unforgotten Realms as one of the best mod sites still extant.

and I'm really looking forward to Oblivion. It might break me of my EQ2 exclusivity. We shall see. . . .

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I got the "game of the year" edition, so i have Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon. It's a lot like my other favorite game(Neverwinter Nights), but it's a lot more open, which is kind of throwing me off. Whenever I make a character, he's always either going on rampoages and killing everything in sight(when I have a bad day), or doing the right thing- getting down and dirty, doing the jobs no one else will, saving people, etc.

I'm kind of weird because I don't like magic. I just don't like it. It's a lot easier, I find, to bash something with a daedric dai-katana than to go through my inventory and find the right spell. I was never much for quick keys.

Do you all have a favorite quest? Fighter's guild, mages guild, theives guild, things like that? Or do you just make up your own?

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Devising one low-cost lock spell can be a great way to practice your lockpicking skill, if you have the patience. Though I always had to wonder what the innkeeper thought about what was going on in my room.

<BAMF> <click-click> <BAMF> <click-click> <BAMF> <click-click>...

Don't forsake the quick-keys, though. Just remember a few. That healing spell can save your bacon, even if you are primarily a fighter.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, mages kick ass in this game. I had a fighter that only got to about level 5 and he sucked. I was training him as much as I could and had amazing items, and he still got owned in most encounters.

Now I'm playing a Breton mage and he kicks ass! I have him decked out with a number of spells, but I don't even care about equipment anymore. Anytime I find a character I can't take in one go with a few fireballs followed up with freezing touch in melee encounters I just do hit and run fireball, freeze, run, heal, repeat. It works brilliantly.

I've been doing a bunch of side quests leveling him up and slowly working my way through the main quest. I'm to the point of having to go visit the village out in the middle of nowhere, but I've stopped while I try to finish off MEM III before break.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
This is definatly one of my favorite games. I originally got it for the xbox, but the load times were way too long for me. Then I got it on the PC and I love it.

Probably my favorite missions are any on the Bloodmoon expansion. You can eventually start your own little town there.

I can't wait until Oblivion. In fact it's one of the two reasons I just got an Xbox 360. Hopefully the load times will be better on it.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.