FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Life in the Fishbowl, or: What Goldfish Teach Us Day to Day

Author Topic: Life in the Fishbowl, or: What Goldfish Teach Us Day to Day
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Being the biggest fish ain't necessarily the best - especially when the quick, small fish gang up on you.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Go towards the light! There's fishflakes coming!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xan
Member # 9015

- posted      Profile for Xan   Email Xan         Edit/Delete Post 
'Look at that Castle...'

Only Jasper Carrot fans will get that...

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Under every rock, a morsel awaits.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
The grass is all fake.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Not in my goldfish bowl! [Eek!]
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
360 Bowl Vision is the only way to go.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Living in your own waste is entirely possible.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Though disgusting.

Don't let people shake your home. In fact, don't let three-year-olds anywhere near your home.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
The grass may be fake, but it's not always greener on the other side of the glass. Think before you jump.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Non-chlorinated/flouriudated/chemicalized water just plain tastes better.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Don't invite The Cat in the Hat to visit your people.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
james01
Member # 8863

- posted      Profile for james01   Email james01         Edit/Delete Post 
Just keep swimming.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Watch out for the big green net.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
When you die

A) your corpse gets flushed down the toilet

B) You can be replaced as easily as buying a gallon of milk and no one can tell the difference

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Why does everything look abnormally large and distorted until it actually enters my sphere of experience? I'm always so confused.....
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Large, tumor-like growths around the eyes are a sign of dignity and oozing masculinity.

There's always a bigger fish in the sea... fortunately, you're safe in a bowl 500 miles away.

Rocks come in all shapes and sizes and colors.

Contrary to popular opinion, all drains do not lead to the ocean, at least not without passing through a complex network of grilles, fluorination chambers, and sterilization treatment tanks. And big, whirling, sharp fans.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Everything you've seen before will eventually come around again.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I can't figure out if that's meant to be reassuring or sad. [Big Grin] /side comment

The days grows long when the flakes don't fly.

Shan
Member # 4550

Looking pathetic only works when the big people walk by the tank. Kids could care less.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
There is such a thing as too much food.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Sometimes the castle is the enemy.
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
There are invisible barriers everywhere.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Pet store owners don't know everything. You are NOT too big to be eaten by the albino frog.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
I can't figure out if that's meant to be reassuring or sad. [Big Grin] /side comment

I find it quite comforting. *smile

Tamale Saturday!
quote:
There are invisible barriers everywhere.
Love this one.
quote:

Pet store owners don't know everything. You are NOT too big to be eaten by the albino frog.

Too true!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hi CT!
(Did you hear the story of the Last Gift of Christmas?)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I dreampt about my goldfish last night. There were a couple of inches of water on my living room floor, and they were swimming around, and every so once in a while, they'd stop by where I was sitting and rear up ion the water to beg for food - and then I'd notice that they had (in addition to fins) four paws that looked a lot like overgrown puppy dog paws.

Where's Bob and his dreambook?

It's raining way to much here in the PacNW - my dreams are getting more and more bizarre.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there's a lesson in here somewhere.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't swim in the same river twice, but you can swim in the same fishbowl forever.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Floating upside down is fun, sure...till someone gets flushed.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Hi CT!
(Did you hear the story of the Last Gift of Christmas?)

Hi, Liz! [Smile]

I don't think I did hear that story.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

CT,
To sum up:
We always give the kids a pet as the last gift of Christmas. Last year, it was the Albino frogs. (I hate them. They are the color of flesh) Steve researched, and found out that a Betta fish could go in with the regular fish. The frogs are in the fishtank, too.
The kids unwrapped the fish, oohed and aahed, and dumped him ceremoniously into the tank.
Moments later, shouts of horror from the living room: "THE FROG IS EATING THE FISH!"
And indeed he was. There was the poor Betta, flowing tail on one side of the frog's mouth, flailing head on the other.
It was sad.
Except, I could not stop laughing.

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you ever replace the Betta, Elizabeth?

I just replaced the one that followed me through college.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Its all fun and games untill someone raises the temperature...
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Albino frogs. (I hate them. They are the color of flesh)

Hey, so am I!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

But you should be, Tante, a frog's flesh should be green.

kwsni,
We did not replace the Last Gift of Christmas. We have a Betta in the bathroom, Percy 5, I think. One of the Percys lived four or more years.

My mother-in-law, from Boston:

"Wow, Percy is three? Are you going to have a paaaahty for her?"

My four year-old daughter:

"Gammy, Percy goes to the bathroom in her water."

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Oh, good grief. Poor fishy!

(Happy froggy, though, I guess. [Smile] )

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.