FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Now with pictures - Announcement from mph and Beverly (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Now with pictures - Announcement from mph and Beverly
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazeltov to the happy family! [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Glad all are doing well. Can't wait for pictures.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Yay!! I'm glad everyone is happy and healthy!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Porter and Bev!
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hyrum and Hire 'im. They rhyme. Rock on, mph and bev.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!!!!!!! Wahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! *high-five*
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures are here! (And we are all home!) Story to come....
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for being home!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
He's gorgeous, mph. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, he's so beautiful. I mean, he really is, he perfectly shaped head, that sweet little fuzz on his head, he's a charmer, for sure. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, he's got a full head of hair!

Where's a pic with the proud papa?

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure he seems tiny, compared to your others, but he really doesn't look "preemie" at all. Nice cheeks on that one!

How old is the little girl (Care-bear?), the previous "baby" in the family? My third was a couple weeks shy of 2 when his sister was born. It was hard on him. But she looks older than that to me.

[ January 15, 2006, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: JennaDean ]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Gorgeous babies all of them. I agree, Hy definitely doesn't look like a premie. He looks perfect.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
He's beautiful. And such cute head fuzz!

And Beverly, you look amazing for someone who's just given birth! (Not to say you wouldn't look amazing for someone who hadn't just given birth... You know what I mean).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw! Congrats, dude!
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks, everyone! I am bursting with joy and pride at his arrival and how wonderful he is. The birth was easy on me physically, I can't take credit for that. I am accustomed to having enormous babies, so a premie (even a big premie) passed through me with ease.

To answer questions, I will go with the names "Mario", "Peach", "Care-bear" and "Xerxes". Care-bear is 2 1/2, Peach is coming up on 5, and Mario is 6 1/2.

I am ready to tell the miraculous story of Hyrum's birth! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

My due date according to my LMP was Feb 14th. But I had an early ultrasound (supposed to be more accurate) that said Feb 5th. But the midwives never went by that date. So when I went into the hospital with preterm labor, they got on track to do all they could to stop it. I was dilated to a 4, 70% effaced at this point. I was on medicine and bedrest. But the contractions wouldn't quit. Funny, the morning of the day Hyrum was born, I went to a big photography shoot of Porter's extended family (taken to and from by wheelchair, with permission from the midwives). We took the opportunity to have a family portrait taken. Hyrum is there in the picture in my belly, just to make his debut appearance hours later.

It was later that day that the contractions began getting more insistant. So much so, that I took my medicine early. I had been talking to family about premies and the problems they can have, and I was scared. I really wanted to stop the labor. But in the back of my mind, I kept wondering if something was wrong with the baby and that was why he was trying to come. I decided I'd better call the midwife. She said go to the hospital NOW. They might have to keep me there on an IV to more aggressively stop labor, or if I was far enough along, they would just let me go.

I came in, sure that no matter what I wouldn't have the baby *today*. I mean, that was just crazy. My contractions were 2 minutes apart, but they had been for days on and off. Upon entering the hospital, I was still at that 4 cm 70% effaced. Porter and I both doubted that would change in the next hour while they observed me. But for whatever reason, there was progress in that one hour--even though I had just barely taken another double dose of the medicine.

On top of this, my midwife burst into the room with a great big smile on her face. She had found the record of the early ultrasound! Apparently, it had been placed in the records of a previous birth by an inexperienced intern. She declared that I was one day from 36 weeks and I was welcome to go on into labor with their blessing! They admitted me to labor and delivery. I was scared, excited, confused, overwhelmed all at once! I had planned to go natural, and I still had my doubts about how I would fare--so little time to mentally and emotionally prepare. We hadn't even finished packing the hospital bag properly.

Porter left briefly to run an errand for me. There was a birthing ball in the corner for me to use. The nurses began running a bath for me to relax through labor in. I was laying on my side and relaxing through the slowly intensifying contractions (still quite manageable at that point), and I informed the nurse that my water had broken. When the nurse looked, she found blood. My waters hadn't broken after all. The midwife was quite concerned. She broke my waters right then to find even more blood there. My amniotic sac all filled with blood! And yet, the baby seemed to be fine. They told me that if there was any distress, they would rush me in for a C-section. I accepted that firmly, knowing that what had to happen would happen. I was afraid, though. Afraid for my baby, afraid for the unknown. It was hard to relax then, and with my water broken, the contractions intensified. It was under these circumstances that Porter returned. My how things had changed!

We were left alone in the dim light, my specially-selected music playing to soothe me. Porter lightly rubbed my back and shoulders. I found that as the contractions became intense, long, and close together, the deeper I breathed, the better I felt. I found that blowing out a long exhale also helped relieve pain. Porter said that he couldn't tell when I was in or out of a contraction (it wasn't showing up on the monitor.) I briefly said (when I could) that I was spending more time in contractions than out of them.

When I could speak again, I said, "Baby coming...." Porter said, "What do you mean, 'baby coming'?" I felt shock coming on. I instructed Porter to go to the other side of the bed and grab and press the center of my arm (a pressure point to hold off nausea.) I felt the baby descending into the canal--a terrifying and powerful feeling. I managed to utter, "Call the nurse." He did.

They quickly found me complete, the baby in the canal, and shifted into high gear. It took all of my willpower to respond to their instructions amidst the frightening sensations of my body (Roll on your back when you can, Hold this leg up, etc.) They didn't have time to break the bed down or set much up. They were tracking the heart rate, and found it dropping as his head was compressed. "Let's have this baby now!" the midwife declared. They told me to push on the next contraction. I thought, "What contractions? There are no contractions! Just one big, never-ending, clampdown!" (I didn't know about the low heart rate, but I did manage to ask if they were getting a heart rate, which they confirmed.) Anyway, I decided it didn't really matter when I pushed. I pushed. I cried out. There was a shout of alarm as the head popped out, followed soon after by the slithering of the whole body. I wasn't exactly in a position to observe, but I hear tell that there was a great splash of blood as the head emerged. Porter said that one minute there was nothing, and the next minute there was a baby laying on the bed. He couldn't believe his eyes!

I couldn't believe it either as suddenly a wet, wriggling, crying baby was placed on my belly. My head was in a whirl. I didn't comprehend what was happening--it all happened so fast. I heard the women around me saying, "Look at that cord! Have you ever seen such a thick cord on such a little baby?" I was so out of it that at first I thought they were talking about his head being unusually large on such a small body. They found him to be 6'2" and 19 inches long. "Long and skinny!" one nurse declared. He didn't need any extra oxygen--to our delighted surprise. His lungs were mature! He even had a strong suck-swallow reflex--something many babies this age have not fully developed. He and I have established a strong breastfeeding relationship already. We are both home now, after the normal 48-hour hospital stay.

They inspected the placenta afterbirth, since they suspected it was beginning to separate--thus the bleeding and the preterm labor. What they found puzzled them--not an edge coming off, as is normally the case, but small pockets of abruptions all over the placenta. It would appear that were it not for the extra-thick cord, this baby would have had serious problems getting the needed nourishment. After he was born, the midwife squeezed as much of the cord blood as she could back into his body. They tested the blood, and found that indeed, it was full of all the things the baby needed for survival. What a miracle! Had this labor been put off further, he may have died. And as things happened, I was spared a C-section.

Porter's mother (who cared for our children through all this mess) was freaking out inside because she had had a preterm labor stopped, only to have a dead baby two weeks later. Same time of year as well. [Frown] I wonder about the ghosts haunting her now. She is deeply relieved that all worked out for the best for us.

I believe in miracles. I believe in the power of prayer. We had so many people praying for us, family and friends. Porter was able to give me a priesthood blessing before we went to the hospital the first time. He blessed me and the baby to be strong. He blessed the medical personnel to be inspired and know what to do to best help us. I feel that we have received these blessings. We are deeply grateful to God and those who extended their faith in our behalf.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Where's a pic with the proud papa?
Well... we do have a pic of his hand. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I love those pictures. Especially the ones with the littlest big sister. [Big Grin]

And it sounds to me like he was just good and ready to be born! I'm sorry it was scary for you, but I'm glad that you're both okay. [Kiss]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

That's a great story. I am so glad he did come when he did.

quote:
took the opportunity to have a family portrait taken. Hyrum is there in the picture in my belly, just to make his debut appearance hours later.
This is awesome. You'll have to tell him the story when he's older, point out his "first" family photo. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful pictures! WHat a sweet family!

Congrats!

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I love those pictures. Especially the ones with the littlest big sister.

Yeah, and with the "exalted" big brother!

It sounds like a wild and scary ride, that turned out perfect in the end. I'm so happy, kaynahora, that Hyrum and Beverly and the whole family are well.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing pictures. I especially love the ones with "big" sister looking over the baby. Congratulations on a job well done!
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Congrats, Bev and Porter.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! What a lovely birth story. Congrats to the whole family. [Group Hug]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
beverly, your story brought back a lot of memories for me. There's nothing more frightening than when your baby is in danger and there is no bigger miracle than a safe delivery and healthy baby. I couldn't be happier or more relieved for you.

You look unfairly fantastic in those pictures! I looked like death warmed over after Aerin was born and you look fresh as a daisy.

BTW, expect preemie clothes to be big until he gets to be about 7.5 pounds. Even if the label says up to 7 pounds, it really means over 7 pounds. Aerin is 8.6 pounds and she's still wearing some of her preemie clothes and some of her newborn clothes are still huge. I wish I could send you some of Aerin's old things, but they're almost all pink.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks, all!

Thanks Mrs. M. [Blushing] The info about the premie clothing is *greatly* appreciated. I went out and got a few premie outfits, and while some fit OK, some still seem ridiculously big. I guess they make everything oversized. Some of the premie pants I got for him he can squirm right out of in a matter of minutes! It is good to know that he can wear them for awhile yet.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly, could you please email me your home address my email is breyerchic04 at gmail dot com

Oh Porter could do it too, whoever, just knitted a hat for the baby.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Beverly and Porter!
[The Wave]
He is a cutey! I especially love the pics with his siblings.

ps I am also a bit jealous how good you (beverly) looked after you gave birth. [Smile]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!!!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Address sent.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thank you, breyerchic! I can't wait to see it. [Smile]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Long live Porter and Mary!!!
Long live Hyrum!!!
[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
yay! A new baby! Who gets to be the Hatrack godparent? Hyrum MUST be given a Hatrack name as well!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Done - "Xerxes".
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww
He's sooooooo cute!!!!!!!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo can I be a godparent?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Are you willing to commit yourself to raising him up in our faith if anything happens to us? [Wink]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
"They found him to be 6'2" and 19 inches long", I read that as 6 foot 2 and 19 inches long. I was like, whoa!

That is the most awesome birth story. How terrifying and magnificent a thing it is to be born! The pictures of Xerxes with Care Bear are so wonderful they make me cry.

I love the name Hyrum! His namesake was such a gentle and loving spirit. Your Hyrum is absolutely precious! May he grow up as true and good as was his namesake!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thank you, ak! [Smile]
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to be the Hatrack godmother!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Huzzah!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Babies... Ick! Except for yours! (and mine)

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
A little late to be posting this but CONGRATS!!!!!! [Party]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Congratulations!
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful baby, beautiful story, beautiful family!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[Smile]
beverly
Member # 6246

Yay! We received an adorable hand-knitted hat from breyerchick! Hyrum was so good as to model the hat for us.

Thank you, breyerchick! That was very sweet. [Smile]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.