FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Somewhat inappropriate commercial jingles

Author Topic: Somewhat inappropriate commercial jingles
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
The official advertising song for Circuit City is "Just What I Needed" by The Cars. The commercials repeat the line from the chorus:

"I guess you’re just what I needed"...

However, the song has rather more to it than just this line, such as a philosophy of customer service:

"I don’t mind you comin’ here
And wastin’ all my time"

-------------

And then there's the use of Elton John's "Rocket Man" in the new AT&T commercial:

"I think it's gonna be a long, long time..."

The song is basically anti-technology, but I guess AT&T's advertising people don't think we know the rest of the lyrics, which, possibly, describe their tech support department:

"And all this science I don’t understand
It’s just my job five days a week"

-----------------

And why on earth is Kentucky Fried Chicken using the Lynrd Skynrd song "Sweet Home Alabama" in their commercials? Yes, I know it's now officially KFC, but still...I mean, Kentucky, Alabama, some damn Southern state, doesn't matter...they might as well use "Georgia On My Mind."

-----
Any others you can think of?

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Bargain by the Who

Why, oh why do they insist on taking awesome classic songs and using them in COMMERCIALS?!?! Why?
Especially when you get some song with meaningful lyrics like Bargain or meaningful lyrics like that Eminem song and he happily cashes the check as he uses such a cool meaningful song for IPOD!!! AUGH!!!
Why do they DO that???
It drives me completely insane!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, this has been reported on repeatedly, but how about the car companies and cruise lines that have been using Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life"?

Yeah... Our product is comparable to heroin addiction. Or kicking heroin addiction- what fun! Great...

"Well, I'm just a modern guy...
Of course I've had it in the ear before..."

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Georgia On My Mind has nothing whatsoever to do with the state! Sorry pet peeve, growing up in Carmichael Auditorium and all.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
The Times, They Are A'Changin'. By Bob Dylan.

Used in a bloody computer commercial.

*slays ad execs*

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
But you must admit, the Dr. Pepper commercial using Meatloaf's "I Would Do Anything for Love....but I Won't Do That" is priceless.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Times, They Are A'Changin'. By Bob Dylan.

Used in a bloody computer commercial.

Which one?

Kaiser Permanente uses it in one of theirs-- the guy has to start eating right, exercising, etc., and the end of the commercial has text that says, "Be your own cause." I actually find it rather amusing and well-conceived, although I don't like Dylan much. But it's well-done and definitely aimed at a specific generation (my parents'.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I just about fell off the couch one day when the Miss America pageant played an ad to the tune of "American Woman," by the Guess Who. I guess no one filled in the ad execs that the song is about how Randy Bachman doesn't like American women.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess no one filled in the ad execs that the song is about how Randy Bachman doesn't like American women.
That's why I was rather irritated when Lenny Kravitz did a cover of that song. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Georgia On My Mind has nothing whatsoever to do with the state!
It has as much to do with the state as "Sweet Home Alabama" has to do with Kentucky Fried Chicken. [Razz]
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned BTO's Takin' Care of Business being used for Office Depot, when the lyrics express nothing but contempt for the slavish 9-to-5 white collar corporate world to whom Office Depot is marketing.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Or how about that commercial for the Humane Society's Animal Shelters using NIN's Closer?

--Enigmatic
[Wink]

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.