FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serenity sequel? (Contains spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Serenity sequel? (Contains spoilers)
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Interview at SciFi Wire with ZOIC special effects guy Loni Peristere with some promising, if maddeningly teasing thoughts:

"But he added that the movie's sales on DVD, which came out on Dec. 20, are running neck-and-neck with the hit comedy Wedding Crashers, which bodes well for a possible Serenity sequel."

[ January 12, 2006, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(I'm sorry, I couldn't help but get excited. [Smile] )

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think I'd get more enjoyment from two more episodes of the show than from a feature length movie.

For instance, the episode "Ariel" was probably the best episode of any TV show I've ever seen.

If they made two episodes of that quality, I'd like it far better than if there was another movie. The movie was pretty good, in my opinion, but I thought the show was excellent.

I would be far more happy if it was revealed that the show was being relaunched than if a sequel was announced.

[ January 10, 2006, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Xavier.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take anything I'll get.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
*Nods*
Though the movie was 80 mill, the TV show was mill per episode. So I'd settle for 40 episodes. Though, you know, things are going to be a lot different what with the war and all.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you like that, I agree with everyone who has posted in this thread so far!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Er, war, pooka?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the idea that eps would be better than a movie. It costs less per season, and they can still charge more for the DVD's!
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

The movie cost US$39M to make, didn't it? Not US$80M.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things to remember: the studio gets something like 55% of the box office, and they also paid a fair bit for marketing and promotion.

Reportedly, before the movie came out the studio execs said they'd like to see $80 million to consider a sequel.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'ld prefer a new season as well. The movie was good yes, but having some new seasons where you can better explain the story is preferable.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
A new season would be far better than a movie. Joss Whedon has said himself that he doesn't work so well in a feature film environment. He's a master story teller for tv shows where he has time to tell his story, but isn't terribly good with crunched movie times.

Not that Serenity was bad, it was excellent. I just would much much prefer a new season of Firefly.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop the madness people. I'm hoping it all ends here, I'm not sure I can stand another two years of Firefly talk.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm with wowbagger.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

You'll prolly get it anyway. Fortunately I label my subject lines carefully so they can be easily avoided [Smile]
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you can't really complain about Firefly talk if you clicked on a thread called "Serenity sequel?" [Wink]

Anyway, now I have to convince people I know to buy the DVD to up sales...

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
*jumps up and down* Personally, I'll take anything I can get, as long as they keep the Firefly universe alive.

*stops jumping up and down because it's tiring*

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally would love to see a Firefly min-series. Joss would get a chance to tell more of the story than in a feature movie, but it wouldn't be as difficult as getting a network to start the show up all over again.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take anything I can get, but I too would prefer a series. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I don't understand why the Sci Fi network doesn't pick it up for a miniseries. See how it does, then try for a series. I wouldn't mind a sequel to Serenity, but would much prefer a series. Or miniseries.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
No longer getting the scifi channel, I don't know the answer to this question:

What proportion of scifi channel miniseries have been inted to be stand-alone (like Dune and Children of Dune), and how many have been attached to series or possible series (like Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers, and Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars)?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd prefer to see it come back as a series. A nice weekly dose of new Firefly would set my world to right.

But could they pick up with the series where it left off instead of where the movie did? I want Wash and Book, dangit!

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

IIRC, Wash and Book left because they were getting too busy to be able to commit to remaining available for future movies or shows.
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, by killing Book, they took away some of the more interesting story lines. But I'd say they're gone... gone forever.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I think they gave us all we needed to know about Book's background in the movie... but my favourite storyline was always the Mal-Inara arc anyway. I'm a softie, I admit it. [Big Grin]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, gee thanks for spoiler warnings considering some folks haven't seen the movie yet.

Yeah, I know I bear some responsibility for clicking on a sequel thread, but still, a little consideration for major plot points would be appreciated.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Well, apparently there isn't full agreement on how the movie actually ended.

Had you seen the series at all, Belle?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like the show back either set before teh movie or just forget the movie happened.

But then again Joss has never been afraid to kill off poeple from what I have seen.

To tell the truth anything would make me happy, a series, a minisereies or another movie, I don't care to much. I loved the series and I thought the movie was good and like a good book, I want more.

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I think they gave us all we needed to know about Book's background in the movie...
What in the world did we learn in the movie about Book's background?
jeniwren
Member # 2002

We didn't learn anything in the movie about Book's background. The visual companion quotes Ron Silver as saying that Book sees a lot of his younger self in Mal, which I think is an interesting statement. The book also says that Wash may return in future productions. That made me happy.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
The visual companion quotes Ron Silver as saying that Book sees a lot of his younger self in Mal
What is the visual companion?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity: The Official Visual Companion
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
The book also says that Wash may return in future productions. That made me happy.
Oh man, if it gets all freaky star-trekky, I would not like that. It would also be weird if it is done through some kind of spiritual medium. I could possibly buy some kind of clone deal where he isn't really himself. Reminiscences are fine too. Don't get me wrong, Was was probably my second favorite character. Or third. But when you're dead, you're dead.

P.S. There is a deleted scene where Mal is talking to the Operative. I think that is what Book is talking about. Was it book or the book or ... [Wall Bash]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

Might be flashbacks. Who knows? Gotta trust Whedon not to cheat, though. He seems pretty commited to honest storytelling from what I can see.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

He did that an awful lot in Angel after Dharla was killed (the second time).
twinky
Member # 693

SPOILER WARNING FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN SERENITY OR WHO DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT BOOK'S PAST

Did you want them to flat-out say "Book used to be an Operative before he converted to Christianity?" I think that would have taken away from how beautifully they said it without saying it directly. [Smile]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

In my defence, I've only seen it once, and that was on opening night.

I need to get my DVD back from my brother. [Grumble]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
twinky- I don't think we've had nearly enough info to be positive about that yet. It's the theory I subscribe to, but it remains a theory, which is fandom discussions, unlike in science, means that there isn't nearly enough proof to be sure of it.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Twinky, I came to the same conclusion.
twinky
Member # 693

I disagree, blacwolve, I think we've got all the information we're ever going to get. Book said as much in the movie. I'd actually prefer that Joss not state it explicitly, because I think that would detract from how well it was handled. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Twinky, haven't you praised some of William Gibsons's novels because they never really explain what's going on?
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Twinky, I speculated that Book may have been an operative as well, but I really don't think that there's much that even implies it. I certainly wouldn't say that they said it indirectly. Although I think it's a very probably theory, I also think that you may be reading too much into the dialogue.

Now I'm about to say something highly controversial: Does anyone think that maybe it's better if Firefly doesn't come back as a series? It's just a thought, but it's relatively easy to keep a series great for a season or two, but much more difficult to do so for 7 or 8. Maybe Firefly would lose some of its charm after 100 episodes. Maybe returning in a more limited sense, such as another movie or two, or a mini-series, would actually keep it fresh, and prevent future discussions about when precisely Firefly jumped the shark.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

"jumped the shark"? *laughs* I've never heard that phrase before. What's it from?

I didn't get that Book used to be an Operative from that exchange. It makes a lot of sense, except that Operatives don't even have names. And in that one episode, where he gets shot and is taken to the hospital, the officials jump on getting him treatment, it was his name or something in his identity that got them to expedite his admission. Not that it couldn't be explained away, but I really think it's too vague. I would think that the last thing the Alliance would want to do is treat an apostate Operative.

pooka
Member # 5003

Well, considering that the doctor who had met with key members of Parliament didn't really know what an Operative was, I would find it surprising for Book to know what one was if he hadn't been involved with them in some way.

Jumped the shark = The Simpson's where the Critic is a guest star. The "Home" episode of the X-Files. Pretty much any episode of a Fox series where women mack on each other. It comes from when Fonzie did a motocycle jump over a pool of sharks on Happy Days. When the show kind of loses it's moorings.

What's funny is I was asking my husband (who is a movie-only fan) if Mal will hook up with Inara or Zoe, and he said "I'd go for River."

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by jeniwren:
"jumped the shark"? *laughs* I've never heard that phrase before. What's it from?

Have you really never heard it?! I thought everyone had. Basically, when a show... well.. starts to suck it is said to have "jumped the shark". Usually people like to try to pinpoint this to a particular season, episode, or event. There's even a site (jumpedtheshark.com maybe? I'm not sure) where people vote on when popular series jumped. I believe the term itself came from an episode of "Happy Days" where the Fonz jumped over a shark on water skis. It was considered to be the start of an unending nosedive in the series' quality.

*edit*
Damn, I knew someone would beat me to it. I type too damn slow. [Grumble]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

That's funny. I'd never heard the term but now it makes sense. I like it. [Smile]

pooka, I don't remember that from the movie. I'll have to go back and watch that part again.

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Twinky, haven't you praised some of William Gibsons's novels because they never really explain what's going on?

That would be Neuromancer. And yes, it's a favourite of mine, becuase I think some things are ruined by being explicitly stated.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The jump over the shark was indeed on water skiis, not a motorcycle.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go for River, too.

With Kaylee as a close, close second.

And Inara as a close, close third.

And Zoe as a close, close fourth.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.