FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dallas has felt my presence: (Now a discussion of cookies.) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dallas has felt my presence: (Now a discussion of cookies.)
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I was driving in the middle lane, and turned on my blinker to switch to the left lane. I didn't see the person in my blind spot until I started moving over, so I went back into the lane I was in. I think I overcompensated, because the car started jerking wildly, and then went into a spin. I was moving over towards the barrier on the right side, and the car spun 270 degrees. The engine died (thank heavens), and I was fine. I was scared to my kneecaps, but the car did not hit the barrier, no other cars hit me, I didn't get whiplash, and the engine started when I put it in park and turned the key. I covered my face for a moment to take a deep breath, and the lady in the car behind me who had hit her brakes in time came over to make sure I was okay. I was fine, and in a moment, I put it in drive and came back to work.

This was directly past the 75 and 635 interchange, so I had own bit of immortality as I made people wait in their cars for me to turn from perpendicular to parallel to traffic.

[ January 13, 2006, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

What an interesting day it has been.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
*mental note to avoid 75 and 635 interchange as much as possible* [Razz]

Just glad to know you ended up safe and didn't cause too much trouble.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a kapporah (a merciful sparing)! Thank G'd!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
my sister did one of those but did a full 360 coming to rest in the emergency lane. I was in the car with her.

Glad to hear you're ok.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*whistle*

Glad you're OK, kat. Wow.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow kat!

So glad you're okay.

Even weirder that immediately it sounded to me exactly like that new song by Carrie Underwood:

quote:
She saw both their lives flash before her eyes
She didn't even have time to cry

(the entire lyrics to the song can be found HERE)

Farmgirl

<Edited lyrics to two line max. -PJ>

[ January 12, 2006, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank heavens the engine did cut out!

Glad you're ok - and managed to keep dirving safely after that.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
It was a kapporah (a merciful sparing)! Thank G'd!

Is there, by any chance, a word for divine intervention that leads to death in what would otherwise be a safe situation?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dropofTapioca
Member # 7867

- posted      Profile for dropofTapioca   Email dropofTapioca         Edit/Delete Post 
that was you?!!

..j/k...I don't live in Dallas.

but glad to hear you're ok

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the car spun 270 degrees
Cool! A brodie!
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Something similar has happened to me and to a good friend of mine, but both cases involved black ice being on the road late at night.

It scares the hell out of people. If only cars had some sort of vector control attitude thrusters to correct this problem.

Volvo should be working on that right now.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Is there, by any chance, a word for divine intervention that leads to death in what would otherwise be a safe situation?

Uh, "smite" I guess.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, glad you didn't get hurt.

Was there water on the road? Ice? (Dallas probably doesn't get much ice, huh?) Too much accumulation of oil? Are your tires bald?

I just keep imagining what it would take to spin my car 270 degrees on an average road with decent tires and nothing unusually reducing the normal friction.

At any rate, glad you're OK. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Curses! Foiled again!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, scary... I did a 180 once on Interstate 40 in western Arkansas. Fell asleep in the left lane, my old Ford LTD drifted into the gravel on the left shoulder; I woke up & overcorrected, ending up facing backward in the right lane (and stalled). I was on my way home from college & had stayed up packing all night. Dumbest thing I ever did.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Farmgirl, I did think of that song, but I also thought that if Jesus took the wheel, then he's a really bad driver. *shifts out of the way of the lightning* I shouldn't have gone into a spin - it's confusing to me.

Sorry for the flippancy - I've disovered my method of dealing with it. I am very grateful to be fine. A little disbelieving - that was almost a tragic story. If I had been retiring in three weeks, I would have been toast.

Karl, I'm not sure why it did that - there were no exacerbating conditions. I've replaced all four tires in the past two years (*sigh*), so it can't be that. I was very surprised when the car didn't go straight when I thought the wheel was straight. Either I was scared enough that I was overcompensating even more than I realized, or maybe there's something funky with the steering mechanism. I think I'll take the car in and see if anything is going on.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, hon. Please, please get the thing looked at as soon as possible.

*shakes finger* Don't make me come down there! [/mother hen]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*hugs* I love it when you mother me. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Farmgirl, I did think of that song, but I also thought that if Jesus took the wheel, then he's a really bad driver. *shifts out of the way of the lightning* I shouldn't have gone into a spin - it's confusing to me.
[Big Grin] - that made me smile.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

You are SO getting a box of cookies when I have cash for postage... [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

<---never gets cookies in the mail. [Frown]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*now tempted to start a cookie exchange*

[Smile] Olivia, you're so darling.

Olivet
Member # 1104

That could be fun, actually. We'd need to know what kind of cookie people liked, allergies, etc.

Would this be a homemade cookie exchange or would oreos qualify? (I worry about how well the home made stuff would survive certain longish trips.)

katharina
Member # 827

Hmm...I wonder if it could be an ongoing thing? Instead of everyone mailing at once, there's a continual cookie sending. Less central organization, although there would have to be a way to get the addresses without posting them for everyone.

Hmmm...I need to think about this. Does anyone else have an idea for how it would work? Maybe something like the following:

1. Person A sends cookies to B.
2. B posts happily that cookies have arrived.
3. The Home Office sends B the address of C.
4. B sends cookies to C, and it starts over again.

Actually, that reminds me that I need to some e-mails.

KarlEd
Member # 571

Hey, that sounds like it would work. I'm in. [Big Grin]
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Cookie exchange? I'll put in a couple dozen of my family's secret recipe chocolate-chip & raisin cookies. Best. Cookies. In. The. World. Well . . . all right. . . my favorite, at least.

Now how did the story of a near-miss turn into a cookie exchange. . . . ??? Gotta love derails!

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm all for that! Would Girl Scout Cookies be acceptable?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

They would to me, but I'd prefer homemade or something I couldn't get easily where I live, like some from a local (non-national-chain) bakery. For instance if someone wanted to send me Old Salem Moravian Cookies, I'd certainly make no complaint. [Wink] (The Ginger ones and the Walnut ones are my favorites [Big Grin] )
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, this could be really fun. It would also eliminate the squirmy issue of giving a present and not getting one by not giving a present until you get one (except for the very first person, of course, and I'm guessing Person B would be willing to send out two packages of cookies).

Y'all really want to do it? We (by which I mean the Gift Exchange committee) would be happy to organize (see how I blatantly speak for them *waves*) (since it isn't all at once, it wouldn't be too much work at all), and the HatrackGiftExchange e-mail address is still active. I can start a thread to guage interest and roust signups when I get back from D.C. on Tuesday.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I make a very yummy holiday cookie that is essentially almond paste and ground walnuts in a flaky pastry crust.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Sounds good. Depending on the number of people who want to participate, I was thinking it might be good to break the list a little. For example, if 15 people want to participate it could be something like this:
code:
1a   2a   3a
1b 2b 3b
1c 2c 3c
1d 2d 3d
1e 2e 3e

The "A"s would send to the "B"s, etc down the columns, then the "E"s could send back to their "A"s. Then we could re-shuffle if everyone wants to do another round. That way no one has to wait for the whole list to go around before getting theirs. (I'd even volunteer to be an "A"). Of course, if only 3-5 people want to play that's a moot point.

Anyway, just something to think about. I'm in, however you guys decide to do it.

KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
I make a very yummy holiday cookie that is essentially almond paste and ground walnuts in a flaky pastry crust.

Sounds yummy. I'm normally a "tube-o-cookie-dough" cookie baker, but for this I'd try something from scratch.
katharina
Member # 827

That's a good idea - not all at once, but more than one thread going at a time.

I want to do it. I have a recipe for pumpkin/white chocolate chip cookies that I love, that stay firm but soft for long periods, and that freeze well. My boss loves them - everytime we have a "Bring Food" day, she requests that I bring them.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in this. How could we best ship the cookies to ensure that they were both fresh and reasonably intact upon arrival?

::has several delicious cookie reipes that he hasn't made in a long time::

::is aware that his favorite of them is way too fragile to travel well at all::

You know, another possibility might be to mail out all of the ingredients, premeasured, so that the recipient could enjoy the sender's cookies fresh baked.

...nah...that probably wouldn't be as much fun as getting a box of ready-to-eat cookies, I expect.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Chris's aunt sent a large box of a variety of Christmas cookies. She just lined a gift box with tinfoil and piled the cookies in. She did cap the whole thing with saranwrap, which probably helped with freshness, and she individually wrapped a couple of sticky kinds that otherwise would have messed up the others. Sure a couple were broken or mashed, but that didn't change the taste.

On the other hand, those cheapy pseudo-tupperware things are pretty good at sealing in freshness. I'll probably end up putting my cookies in those and sending them.

Oh, and the more cookies you cram in there, the less space they have to move around and get broken. [Wink]

Or you could pad them with brownies. [Big Grin]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Disposable tupperware is a great idea.

The brownies wouldn't make a bad packing material, but A)I'm afraid their parents would object, and B)I'm worried that they'd eat all of the cookies while they were in transit.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

- posted      Profile for seespot   Email seespot         Edit/Delete Post 
This is totally something that I would love to be part of!!!

Sorry about your scare, Katharina. . . glad you're okay.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Evil Noemon! [ROFL]

This is a great idea! I'd love to do it! Unfortunately, [Frown] it wouldn't work for me to be involved what with me being so far away and the fact that I'm still off sugar. Except for the last four days, which just affirms the need to be off sugar. [Frown]

I think... that in addition to sending cookies, the recipes for said cookies should be posted in the cookie thread. [Smile] For, you know, people like me. [Big Grin] Or, er, so Fahim can benefit. Or something.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a good idea. But what about those that have allergies to stuff like nuts and whatnot.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Allergies can be dealt with. Make sure you list all allergies when you sign up, and theoretically, the person making cookies for you won't use those ingredients. [Big Grin] You hope. [Evil]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Right.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh I want to be part of this. I'll be one of the first rounders, too.

After having sent many a padded envelope of battered crumbs (by the time they arrived) and more than one package of one-huge-stuck-together-cookie, I've begun doing it like this.

1) I use the pseudo-tupperware things by Glad or Ziplock or one of the others.

2) I use parchment paper to line my cookie sheets while baking, so I cut the parchment paper into squares and place one square between each cookie.

3) I also freeze the whole thing before I mail it. Starting the day I make the cookies, as soon as they're cool they go into the freezer. Then when I pack the box, the whole box goes back into the freezer until I'm ready to take it to the post office. I have the idea this makes them survive better enroute, but I'm sure they would be fine regardless.

My favorite cookies right now are an old family recipe for oatmeal, but I can do chocolate chip, pumpkin raisin, peanut butter, sugar cookies, or whatever sounds good at the time. Alton Brown's cookbook "I'm Just Here for More Food" has some great cookie recipes.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Pumpkin raisin cookies? Ummmmm. Recipe. Please? [Hail] You are my hero, Tatiana. [Hail]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Can we post cookie-making tips too?

Alton Brown made two suggestions which have been fantastic for ease and quality of my cookies.

1) Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (see above). This means you can apportion out all the dough while the first batch is cooking, by placing the parchment paper on the cookie sheet, filling it up with dough, then sliding that piece of paper off onto the counter (sideways so it doesn't disturb the cookies), and then doing the next one. As soon as you take one pan of cookies out of the oven, slide off the parchment paper (sideways), and let the cookies cool on the paper alone until they're ready to be spatula-ed off. Meanwhile the same cookie sheet can be loaded with another piece of parchment paper and put back in the oven. With just two cookie sheets, you can very quickly bake umpteen dozen cookies this way. Turns out to be a great suggestion!

2) Use a scooper to apportion the dough. These things are like little ice cream scoops, and they come in various sizes. Very fast and easy way to make uniform sized cookies. I like the one that's about halfway between the smallest and largest sizes, for fairly large cookies. Scoop, level, and then plop face down onto the sheet in the desired spot. Squeeze the flapper arm and lift. Perfect size cookies perfectly placed.

Those are Alton's suggestions. This next one is mine.

3) Instead of making 4 rows of 3 cookies per row, a rectagonal array which has a low packing factor, use instead staggered rows of 3, 2, 3, 2, and 3 for a total of 13 cookies per sheet. This arrangement is known as "hexagonal close packed" and has a very high packing factor. You can make the largest cookies possible this way for a given cookie-sheet size. Just a little tip I garnered from materials class.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Here's the recipe for pumpkin raisin cookies. This is still being perfected. Feel free to adjust as you like.

1/2 cup Butter (1 stick)
1 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar (1.5 cups)
1 cup Canned Pumpkin
1 Large Egg
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2 cups Self Rising Flour (White Lily is the preferred brand)
2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
1 cup Raisins

Cream butter, gradually add sugar. Combine flour and cinnamon (=dry ingredients). Combine pumpkin, vanilla, and egg (=wet ingredients). Alternate adding dry and wet ingredients until well mixed. Gently fold in raisins. Drop with scooper onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Here's my oatmeal cookie recipe. They are sooooo good! I used to like homemade chocolate chip, but these are far better.

3/4 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup self-rising flour (White Lily)
3 cups Quaker Oats (NOT instant, quick, or 1 minute oats, just plain old fashioned oats)

Cream butter, gradually add sugar. Add egg, water, and vanilla extract, beating until creamy. Add flour gradually until well mixed. Stir in oats. Scoop with a scooper onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, so are we really doing a cookie exchange? Because that would be awesome and I'd make someone very happy with my Special Secret Recipe (which, unfortunately, I would be unable to share in public [Wink] ).
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my great-great-grandma's recipe, in the same format that she had it written in:

quote:
2 cups raisins
2 cups water
Boil together 5 minutes. Cool and stir in 1 tsp soda.

Cream together:
3/4 cup shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar.
Add raisins and their water to shortening, then

Add: 1 tsp vanilla and 3 eggs (1 at a time)

Then add:
4 cups flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (all sifted together)

Stir well and add 1 package chocolate chips.
Drop by spoonsful on greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 to 385 for 10 to 15 minutes.
(Makes at least 50 cookies.)

Sounds kind of awkward when you read through it, but it makes sense once you are doing it. And yes, the only liquid in it is the 2 cups of water the raisins were boiled in. Doesn't seem like it would be enough, but it is.

Best. Cookies. In. The. World.

So says my great-great-grandpa, my great-grandpa, my grandpa, my dad, me, and my son.

6 generations can't be wrong!

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Mmm... Me really want cookie! But with the kosher thing I've got on, I'm afraid it wouldn't work. [Dont Know]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.