FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack masculinity thread, or, Hatrack's most eligible Bachelor. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Hatrack masculinity thread, or, Hatrack's most eligible Bachelor.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Really!? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm sure you'll get in, or be approved, or whatever it is happens with you lofty graduate students-people.

Cool. [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the application process, trying desperately to figure out if I'm doing it all correctly. *hoping muchly*
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Doubly cool!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I nearly shot myself in the foot about it, sending my references and documents to the wrong address and that RIGHT before the deadline. But the docs got sent over to the right place, and they are having mercy upon me.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone tell me how to attach my photo to my personal info? Please. [Frown]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey hey, I guess I'll play. Step 1 in the 'moving on' process.

Age when first kissed: 15
Appearance: Tall and skinny, dark hair, blue eyes, supposedly beautiful eyelashes, a bit of facial hair (see photo), and pretty much normal everywhere else. I think.
Photo: A few weeks ago
Hair: Dark, medium length but grows insanely fast.
Eyes: Depends. Sometimes VERY blue, sometimes green, sometimes hazel, sometimes steel grey (my personal favorite). Just depends.
Smile: I think its dorky, but other people don't seem to mind it. I tried to keep it as subdued and mysterious as possible.
Build: Skinny, but not painfully so. I prefer to think of it as lithe
Ancestry: 1/32 American Indian (Crow I believe) and as for the rest, who knows.
Look-alikes: The most common one I get is Jesus, though Harry Potter and Napoleon Dynamite (???) have been mentioned also.

Reason I am cool: Because its a rare day when I misunderstand something, which means I'm usually quite a pleasure to be around. I'm serious most of the time which makes it all the funnier when I do something outrageous. I know a large amount of useless facts and am very passionate about reading. Growing up homeschooled with 4 sisters has given me a bit of a head start on most guys, or so I'm told.

Dating Status: Single

Stalker level: umm ... I've had one stalker type thing, but that ended pretty quickly, and I don't believe I've ever stalked someone. And no, that cake thing doesn't count. That wasn't stalking. That was funny. Or so I keep telling myself.

Plans: Be happy. Careerwise, I don't know. Lawyer, writer, and history professor all have a certain degree of allure to me. Though pro-Scrabble player does also, so go figure.

Things you should know: I love Scrabble quite a lot. And I'm not half bad at it. I have a tendency to think. A lot. And it sometimes gets me into trouble. I like all kinds of music, except rap. Play rap around me and I wil run away. Oh, and if ever we're out eating a steak dinner, please be careful about scraping your knife against your plate. It really really really hurts my ears.

Things I like in women: Intelligence, sense of humor, good looks (and i'll be the judge of what looks good, thank you very much) and the ability to carry on a wonderful conversation.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Strangelove is cute jailbait.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
I would post in this thread, but I've been banned before on similar threads in order to give the other guys a fighting chance.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
We appreciate the sacrifice. [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
<doffs cap>
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dr. Strangelove is cute jailbait.

Agreed.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Chemistry and Microsoft Excel have fried my brain, though even if they hadn't I'm not sure I'd understand the above comment about me. Anyone care to explain?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Jailbait is old-people talk for someone who you're not allowed to become romantically entangled with, due to the fact that they're underage.

The rest is fairly self-explanatory.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Haha. Ok. Yeah, I get it now. Dang age. If this thread dies before I become 18, I'll resurrect it at that time. [Hat]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<bump in the interest of gender equality>
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* We appreciate it, ak. We need lovin' too. *grin*
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can sew as well, although it's been a while since I've done it
pfresh, pfresh -- no woman wants to be "out-wifed" by a guy who can cook, clean and sew better than she can. [Razz]

What do you mean when you say "(although eligible is debatable)?"

Sorry guys -- you are all wonderful prospective young men for the young girls, here, but until you get Frisco out of the way (by getting him committed to someone, I suppose), you aren't going to get the attention of many of these fine ladies.

[Taunt]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there a mostly naked picture of Frisco just wearing a towel somewhere? Or did I just make that up in a feverish fit of some kind?

Ahem.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I think there is, but I couldn't remember who hosted it so I could find it to link to...

the beach photo??? [Smile]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I really feel for jailbait, having been jailbait myself for quite some time. [Wink]

And yeah. Frisco gets me all hot and bothered. [Razz] Someone post those nipple tassle/thong photos.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Oh yes, pH! Thanks for the reminder of These Recent Photos! *snicker*
pH
Member # 1350

Oh yeah, baby. [Wink]

-pH

pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
pfresh, pfresh -- no woman wants to be "out-wifed" by a guy who can cook, clean and sew better than she can. [Razz]

What do you mean when you say "(although eligible is debatable)?"

Yeah, I guess out-wifing a girl isn't so good, but hey, it means she could be lazy and/or have more free time. [Razz]

As for the eligible comment, I was going with this definition of eligible: Desirable and worthy of choice, especially for marriage. Whether or not I'm desirable and worthy of choice is entirely debatable. Plus there was a little bit of sarcasm there too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

The idea of having a houseman is very appealing to me.

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but you're taken. Don't give these guys false hope!

*shoos pH away from the Bachelor thread*

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Yes, but um...I'm....giving suggestions. *polishes halo, gives best angelic look*

My boyfriend does house things for me because I am incompetent and have never lived alone before.

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:

Speak for yourself. Especially the cleaning and sewing. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

How much sewing is there really to do in the average house? Especially the average house WITHOUT children?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That depends. Many things can be purchased ready-sewn, or can be sewn. Curtains, clothes, slipcovers, pillow cases and other bed linens . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well now you're just talking gibberish.

Curtains, clothes and pillow cases were meant to be bought presewn. Sewing your own is just crazy talk.

Slipcovers I'll grant you, becuase every couch and chair is different.

pH
Member # 1350

Sewing is just about the only domestic task I am capable of performing. However, I don't do it often.

-pH

Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

Come on boys, I know there's more of you out there.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Maybe they're just scared. You girls are an intimidating bunch. [Razz]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
*walks backwards*
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I have to say that guys who can cook are extremely appealing to me. I don't want anyone spreading false rumors about what girls do or don't like that in any way might discourage guys from cooking. That's just a wonderful trait, to be able to feed someone well, you know? It hooks into something very primal, I think, about finding a provider or something. I've always found it quite attractive for guys to cook for me.

I never thought about sewing but I don't think there's any skill or talent that doesn't count on the plus side of the balance sheet. And men who are secure enough in their manhood not to be particularly worried about it, to be willing to learn any skill, including sewing, knitting, or things like that, I think are extra cool. It strikes me as being super manly, to be like that. It oozes confidence.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I can't knit. I just have basic sewing skills. I learned it in elementary school, and I had to perfect it in high school.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree totally with Tatiana. Especially the cooking bit.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I can sew a little bit if its a small tear. my grandma taught me how. I can also read a recipe and follow it.

[Big Grin] [Blushing]

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I cook. It is called the drive-up window or the local deli!

Hahaha. Just kidding. I do eat out a lot, but I also cook for myself. I make some killer poached salmon. I always cook my turkeys. And I made gumbo once with huge prawns (don't know if it was very authentic--just reading the recipe.)

The oddest thing I've made recently was a brussel sprout, roasted chestnut, Italian cheesie thing. I learned how to roast chestnuts (I did it wrong for the receipe; at least I know how to do it right *now*), and I learned the cheese was to die for. I could've done without the brussel sprouts.

I make some killer deserts too... [Smile] Penuche, cream cheese brownies, sometimes w/ german chocolate icing.

I've even thought of signing up for some local classes. Oh, and I get Cooks magazine. But I don't always read them.

Unfortunately my tastes are a bit odd. Whole wheat instead of white. A zillion mushrooms. My "very healthy smoothies" made with tofu, protien powder, nutritional yeast, no fat/sugar yogurt, and then the sweatner, banana, and fruit (crushed ice isn't a smoothie, it is a slurpie). Etc...

I can hand sew stuff like buttons or mends, but it looks terible and I hate doing it enough that I never do it. My older sister sews everything, and often wears nothing but what she has made.

And well, what can I say, having nothing but brothers, she often made me and my other brothers who were younger than her to do things with her, so we all know how to use a sewing machine, and all kinds of stuff. She is probably why I know how to cook actually. In fact, I probably tried gumbo because my sister lived in Louisiana for a few years.

Not really parading my peacock feathers. Just thought I'd chip in because I like talking about my cooking... [Big Grin]

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I want an eligible bachelor...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I like my men to be able to cook, repair things, open jars, and pick out matching bath mats for my bathroom. Oh, killing spiders is also a must.

I also expect them to be endless fountains of knowledge so that I have someone to answer my random questions.

-pH

Zotto!
Member # 4689

I have a question: is it a necessary condition for sale that the potential-attractee already has all the super-powers the potentially-attracted seem to want from them at the time of purchase?

I mean, for me, one really fun thing about relationships is getting to learn to do stuff together. If, for instance, one of you knows how to cook and the other doesn't but desires a level of cooking know-how in a mate, why can't the knowledgeable one simply teach the inexperienced one?

Basically, (to touch on a bit of what Tatiana was saying) attraction for me isn't based so much on what abilities the other person has already acquired as it is on their level of enthusiasm for doing things they've never done (or done badly). In other words, rather than a list of prerequisites, an interest in learning how we can both be better for each other is more important. The rest should take care of itself.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Well, I am cooking impaired. I am also basic home repair impaired.

Yeah, I function more as arm candy than anything else. [Razz]

Most of the requirements for me are more personality things than anything else. But I think it's really cool if a guy can do stuff.

And I just think it's very convenient to be able to call someone at a random hour an ask why mayonaise doesn't need to be refrigerated if it goes bad when you leave it in the sun.

-pH

Zotto!
Member # 4689

Edit: this was in response to my own previous post, not yours, Pearce. Just to avoid any potential confusingness. [Smile]

Though, uh, that leaves open the question of what you're actually being attracted to in the first place. If all you've got in front of you is an undeveloped know-nothing blob, chances are there will be very few sparks.

There must be some happy medium. [Smile]

Zotto!
Member # 4689

Erm, why doesn't mayo need refrigeration? That's a vaguely unsettling question.
pH
Member # 1350

I still don't know. But apparently, mayo at room temperature will not go bad. But mayo in the sun will.

This confuses me to no end.

-pH

Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
I can never get along far enough romantically to cook for anyone.

Understandable, I'm always awake in the A.M.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

And Jeremy once again proves he's my dream man born 20 years late. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I thought mayo was one of those things that doesn't need refrigeration until it's opened (because it's canned (jarred?) in sterile circumstances) but must be refrigerated afterwards. That said, each 10 degrees C colder makes the speed of reactions half, or every 10 degrees hotter makes them double. So if mayo would be fine in the fridge for six months after opening, then it can survive one night at room temp, which would be the equivalent of perhaps about 8 days in the fridge. Does that make sense?
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
*Steps forward and puffs out his chest* "I KNOW HOW TO COOK AND CLEAN!"

"So, who wants some of this hunk?"
*smiles goofily* [Big Grin]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.