FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why don't Americans (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why don't Americans
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
80 past 2 on April 47th
47th? How do he get a calender with 47 days in a month with metric time?

and "80 past 2" doesn't sound very metric. The zero after the eight is not needed, and that's in base hundred, not base ten. I would have made him say "2 point 8" or something of that nature.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn: Delphi hasn't been the center of anything in more than 2,000 years silly Euroman. [Smile]

Didn't the people living at the center of the world send you a change of address notification? They live in the US now. [Big Grin]

I'm nearly as American as the next guy, but I can't think of a single place in this country I'd want considered the "center of the world" in any category that would be widely considered cultural.

EDIT: And Xavier, like I said... I don't recall them drumming up the better points of Metric time. In true Simpsons fashion, the farther out of reality it is, the better! Remember, this is the show that added Febtober as the thirteenth month.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly, everyone knows that Kalamazoo, MI is the center of the world.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The center of the world is highly mobile. Currently it is residing in Charlottesville, VA, but will be moving to Northern Virginia once it graduates.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since everyone know that America is the center of the World and since a hog farm outside Lebannon Kansas is the center of the "lower 48" by one method of determination I guess that the center of the World is a hog farm outside Lebanon Kansas. [Big Grin]
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I got that KoM was kidding. Some people, I'm not so sure about . . .

-o-

quote:
Originally posted by Friday:
I think the hardest part about adjusting to 24 hour time would be relearning to read analogue clocks. The current system works well because using a 12 hour system divides the minutes of the clock into groups of 5. This makes it fairly easy to instantly recognize the aproximate time when glancing at an analogue clock.

If the face of a clock were divided into 24 hours then the hour markins would group the minutes into units of 2.5. Such a system would not only be confusing because fractions are involved, but it also would be quite difficult to quickly tell what time it is because the major reference points on the face of a clock would be much more numerous and closer together.

Actually, location-wise, everything would still be exactly where you are used to thinking about it. Fifteen minutes would still be a quarter of the way around the clock, or 90 degrees. Five minutes would still be a twelfth of the way, or 30 degrees. You would simply have a few extraneous marks to ignore when it came to minutes. It might be a pain to teach you kids, but someone who grew up on a twelve-hour analog clock would have no difficulty at all converting to a 24-hour analog clock.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And if we were studying in YOUR country and proclaimed that they should conform to OUR system because theirs confused US it would be cited as yet another example of AMERICAN arrogance....
That's what's so great about Europeans. They are guilty of exactly the same cultural arrogance as Americans, and the same desire to impose their own system on the rest of the world, but they love to act smug and say theirs is justified, based on the false premise that their culture is older.

False premise? Oh, yes. Silly Europeans, you don't think American culture simply sprang fully-formed from the head of Zeus in 1776, do you? American culture is a direct descendant of English culture and therefore has a heritage exactly as long as that of England. Plus we've derived cultural elements from other places as well, not the least of which were the native peoples of this continent, who may not have been much for architecture but had very rich cultural traditions of their own. Yes, American culture is very old and very rich, and it is only their own arrogant insularity that keeps Europeans from recognizing that fact.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So with fingers and toes...

Oh, nevermind.

I'm supposed to count to twenty-four. Are you suggesting I have more fingers and toes than I'm supposed to?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I'm supposed to count to twenty-four. Are you suggesting I have more fingers and toes than I'm supposed to?

I don't know. When was the last time you counted them all?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Five seconds ago...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
How many were there, anyway?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"I am amazed at my own fellow Americans when they can't subtract 12 from 17."

"I can't count that high, darn you!"

Actually you didn't need to count to 24 [Smile]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Gaal- I actually started typing before that post was made, so I didn't know it was there. I meant 24, as in 24 hours in a day.

Tante- I had the normal amount of fingers. But I think there is a human head sticking out of my left foot next to my smallest toe...

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come now Verily.

You know very well that it doesn't count unless we have at LEAST five hundred year old buildings made of marble. Ours aren't old enough yet, so culture be damned.

Or is it a thousand years old? I don't know, the resident Europeans will have to answer that.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing like defending your own culture from claims of arrogance by decrying others for exactly the same fault.

We're not arrogant and insular! They are!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's nothing like defending your own culture from claims of arrogance by decrying others for exactly the same fault.

We're not arrogant and insular! They are!

I didn't say we weren't. I simply said that Europeans love to pretend they are this humble, worldly people when to them, "world" means "rest of Europe", and they have as much desire to make the rest of the world conform to their way of thinking as we do. I don't use this as an excuse for America's faults. I think we need to work on our faults regardless of what the rest of the world is like, and I neither said nor implied otherwise. I'm just saying that European smugness is out of place, and it is hypocritical of them to decry us for being too arrogant and insular while at the same time being just as arrogant and insular as we are.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.