FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question on the Sabbath in Judaism (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Question on the Sabbath in Judaism
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hearing from a very unreliable source that it was a mitzvah to do those acts

But remember this is a very very unreliable source
for the right answer check a rabbi

or google whichever's easier

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
On the Friday before Christmas, I went to a kosher Chinese potluck. The host forgot to break the chopsticks apart before Shabbos, so we each ate with a double set [Smile] .
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I always found it a little ironic when I heard it explained to me that marital relations were encouraged on the Jewish Sabbath.

From my perspective: When God created the world, He worked for 6 days and rested on the 7th. He sanctified the 7th day and commanded us to observe the Sabbath as a day of rest also.

Now what kind of work did He rest from? Creating.

And what is more potentially creative than marital relations? [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good thing He gave us details as to what actually constitutes "rest" for us, and didn't leave it to our human intellects to deduce.

In any case, the "creation" that He does and that which humans can do share little in common except the fact that we assign both the same term (in English, anyway).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think He uses Barry White to get in the mood?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Marital relations are okie-dokie on Shabbos. Shabbos observant Jews can not play their Barry White albums on the stereo on Shabbos, but there is no prohibition against crooning the tunes a cappella. [Wink]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I have this mental image of Barry White manifesting in darkness, in Chaos, and looking around in shock and surprise while God puts on some work gloves and says, "I'll send you back later. Now sing."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, you are a big nut. I think Louis Armstrong is a more logical choice.

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.