FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Extend the death penalty

Author Topic: Extend the death penalty
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
. . . to condemn CD packagers who put stickers right on the case instead of on the wrapping.

I'm something of a perfectionist when it comes to my CDs. I keep them in alphabetical order by artist, and chronological order by album within each artist. When I put a CD back in the case, I make sure it's right-side up. That should give you an idea how anal I am about my CDs.

Needless to say, I don't want any stickers on the cases. I don't care if it's telling me what hit single is on this album, or that the movie this is the soundtrack of is now on DVD, or that I've just won the flippin' lottery. I don't want it on my CD case. So I peel them off, but these are not Colorforms. These are real stickers. They're sticky. I have to peel and scrape and peel and scrape to get them off, and they leave an ugly residue that still mars the appearance of my CD case. Why the deuce can they not just put their bloody stickers on the wrapping so that it comes off when I unwrap the CD and my CD case stays clean and neat?

Stupid lousy CD packagers. [Grumble]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you need to relax more.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Rubbing alcohol should deal with the residue.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Who has time to relax? I'm too busy peeling stickers off my CD cases. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Goo Gone works wonders for that sort of thing.

P.S. You really should look into some sort of downloading program.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Downloading? How would that help?
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
It would allow you to extend your obsession to a medium without stickers.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Goo Gone works wonders for that sort of thing.

Today is my day to not get to threads until after someone else has already recommended what I was planning to.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily,

I think that while you are peeling off stickers, you should use your mental prowess to develop the appropriate means of dispatching with the offenders.

Obviously, lethal injection or electricution work far too quickly to be a truly satisfying punishment.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been a fan of hangings. They're long and painful and entire crowds can watch.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Torches and pitchforks for those freakin' bastards!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Evie a good hanging kills instantly, via snapping the neck, although...

The guillotine' always fun! The french did studies on the executed during that old revolution thingy they had. Aparantly the condemned stay alive for about 7-10 seconds, and councious for 2-3 seconds! So I suppose snapping the neck couldn't kill instantly, if severing it doesn't, but it is supposed to be quick. Unless the particular recording exec you're stringing up today has a mighty strong neck!

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, Evie a good hanging kills instantly, via snapping the neck, although...
That's a bad hanging. Snapping the neck is too quick and painless, and the idea is to kill them slowly (this is before the 8th amendment). If their neck snaps you know it's too far of a drop. The idea is to suffocate.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Nail polish remover also works if you have that on hand, but not rubbing alcohol or Goo Gone.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's useful for suffocations, too.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
At least the stickers are better then those old hologram small stickers that used to go on them. Those were impossible to get off.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
It would allow you to extend your obsession to a medium without stickers.
No, see, I'm not looking for a way to stop buying CDs. I like buying CDs. I like owning CDs. Yes, I could go online and download thousands of songs to keep on my trusty (?) computer, and burn them onto blank discs to listen to anywhere. But that just wouldn't be the same.

quote:
I think that while you are peeling off stickers, you should use your mental prowess to develop the appropriate means of dispatching with the offenders.

Obviously, lethal injection or electricution work far too quickly to be a truly satisfying punishment.

Oh, that's easy. Put a giant sticker on their face and watch them die of suffocation while they try to peel and scrape it off. And if they have fingernails that help them get it off too quickly, then bind their wrists with another giant sticker. An eye for an eye, a sticker for a sticker. [Evil Laugh]

quote:
Nail polish remover also works if you have that on hand,
Oddly enough, I don't. But then, I don't have rubbing alcohol, either. So I could always buy some if it actually works.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Another option would be to buy a bunch of blank CD cases, and then transfer the CDs and liners into the new cases.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, see, I'm not looking for a way to stop buying CDs. I like buying CDs. I like owning CDs.
If you find too many things that you enjoy as much as you appear to enjoy buying CDs, you might go mad.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
WD 40 is supposed to work well, do you have that?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Verily, but if you think you got it bad with cds, it's even worse with dvds. In New Zealand no dvd is allowed to be sold without a rating sticker, stuck not on the dvd case but on the actual insert, you know the dvd cover! It's almost impossible to get them off without scratching the surface of the cover, and if you use a product like Dissolvit which cleans up gummy residue really well, it can smear the colours. So I sit there scratching away at these stupid stickers which are about 2" x 1" in size, so cover a substantial amount of the cover, getting madder and madder at these bums who've vandalised my dvd covers! Infuriating.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
That's a bad hanging. Snapping the neck is too quick and painless, and the idea is to kill them slowly (this is before the 8th amendment). If their neck snaps you know it's too far of a drop. The idea is to suffocate.

Touche, sir. Apparantly, both kinds have been widely used (long drop vs. shortdrop). Wikipedia also lists the standard drop and suspension. What fun things I learn when I divert from the intended discussion.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darkendshadow
Member # 9074

- posted      Profile for Darkendshadow           Edit/Delete Post 
speeking of penaltys SAVE TOOKIE!!

oh wait a little late for that i'll go hide in my corner

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on Verily's side, only I say we bring back the guillotine.

One of the more grisly public displays.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily, I organize my CDs the same way, only I separate them by genre too (mainstream, musicals, theatre people/"world" artists, and soundtracks). [Smile]

I think the only ones that have stickers on the case itself are the imports or the ones I bought in other countries (which I suppose are also imports, only cheaper because I did the importing). CDs in the UK are actually sold without the plastic wrap at all, so they're the ones with the most stickers in my collection. I tried a few times to remove them, but that only led to the same frustration you have, so I decided that I'd rather leave the stickers on as a souvenir of their import-hood than try and fail to take them off cleanly.

I've never been brave enough to try anything chemical on the sticker residue - I'm afraid it might warp/damage the case. [Angst]

So I have nothing useful to add. Just wanted to say that you're not alone in your CD-anal-ness. [Big Grin]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.