FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Aliens Infesting Japanese Waters!

Author Topic: Aliens Infesting Japanese Waters!
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It's a terrible problem. They're like aliens," Noriyuki Kani of the fisheries federation in Toyama, northwest of Tokyo, told Reuters ahead of the conference.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/01/19/japan.jellyfish.reut/index.html

Big shocker, in China where giant jellyfish is considered a delicacy (and man, I gotta wonder how much of that is due to poverty-YUCK!-but there's no accounting for culinary tastes), there is no major problem.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Those are.... large.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Scientists have suggested global warming might be a factor.
Isn't that a factor in every problem now? (From overdrafts on your bank account to that funny noise your car has been making lately.)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Considering Japanese fishing fleets (and FirstWorld fishing fleets in general) are working triple overtime to kill off everything in the oceans, the problem with jellyfish is at worst a fitting payback.
I mean what the heck do fishermen expect when they kill off all the critters which feed on jellyfish, jellyfish eggs/juveniles.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
But really. Those jellyfish are unbelievably big. I'm amazed they haven't had more problems with them, I can't imagine having many jellyfish that size close to the coast.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry... Godzilla will stop them!
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, I wouldn't want to be swimming near one of those.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't be . . . . for long. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Actually, they're only mildly poisonous, certainly not as poisonous as if a man of war jellyfish were jumped up that many sizes. Divers wear protection around them, but that's more focusing on eyes and sensitive areas, not because they'll kill ya.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seaside communities in Japan have tried to capitalize on the menace by developing novel jellyfish dishes from tofu to ice cream, but for some reason the recipes have failed to take off.
Boy, I just don't know how jellyfish ice cream could fail to take off.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Seaside communities in Japan have tried to capitalize on the menace by developing novel jellyfish dishes from tofu to ice cream, but for some reason the recipes have failed to take off.
Boy, I just don't know how jellyfish ice cream could fail to take off.
They do all kinds of crazy ice cream flavors in Asia, though. I can't remember any specific Japanese examples, but in the Philippines purple yam ice cream (and cake) is very popular.

But yeah, those jellyfish are huge! And creepy!

Edit: Google revealed these fine examples which include eel ice cream and octopus ice cream. I'm not sure how popular those are, but they must have some sort of following if they went to the trouble of trying it with jellyfish.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, don't answer my joke with facts.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
[Taunt]

I could make up lies, if you like.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
novel jellyfish dishes from tofu to ice cream, but for some reason the recipes have failed to take off.
How about Peanut Butter and Jellyfish Sandwiches?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't you guys ever watched Iron Chef? Giant Jellyfish Ice Cream would seem normal compared to some of the things they come up with...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
Ughh, I was eating noodles when I saw that jellyfish.

It looks fat. And hairy. *goosebumps*

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
The rise of jellyfish is up everywhere.
Why?
Because of Man and our overfishing.

We destroy the native fish...allowing jellyfish to move in. But once the jellyfish come in they eat up the food that the fish used to eat, so the fish can never come back.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Haven't you guys ever watched Iron Chef? Giant Jellyfish Ice Cream would seem normal compared to some of the things they come up with...

Oh my, YES! I love the Iron Chef. But only the Japanese version. The American version leaves me cold. I love the part where the ditsy little pop singer has to eat the fish liver ice cream, and smile while she's doing it, and then say something ditsy like "<giggle giggle> This is fish liver? It's so creamy and cold!"

I love when the Member of the Lower House of Parliament says "It's a matter of personal preference."

I love when that old psychic lady says what everyone else is too polite to say "This is awful!"

And I love that the Grand Prize is not a new car or a vacation or a washer/dryer or anything as common as that. It is being "inscribed in the annals of gourmet cooking" and winning "the fame and ovation of the people forever".

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silkie
Member # 8853

- posted      Profile for Silkie   Email Silkie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
quote:
Scientists have suggested global warming might be a factor.
Isn't that a factor in every problem now? (From overdrafts on your bank account to that funny noise your car has been making lately.)
Of course it isn't Global Warming - - If the politicians say it isn't so that must be true! [Grumble]
Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Considering the way most people reach their decisions about what global warming is and what it does, that's really more of an ironic rejoinder than anything, Silkie.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.