FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tabasco, King of all sauces (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tabasco, King of all sauces
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I got really sick last night. I woke up this morning with a soar throat. It was the scratchy, raspy, painful kind of throat.

Someone recommended that I drink a teaspoon of Tabasco sauce. According to that person, pepper:

1: Relieves Pain.
2: Kills Germs.
3: Speeds up metabolism.
4: Increases blood flow.

When I went to lunch, I tried just that. I love Tabasco sauce and I do not think it is spicy. The pain in my throat went away immediately. I still feel sick, but I feel so much better. It has been 5 hours, and my throat still feels the relief.

So besides being one of the tastiest sauces, Tabasco sauce is one heck of a soar throat medicine!!!

[Hail] TABASCO SAUCE

EDIT: changed "relives" to "relieves." That changes my meaning a little. [Razz]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I've often used spicy foods as medicine, although never for a sore throat. Nothing clears a chest cold better than chile rellenos, green chile stew or just some hot salsa with chips.

I've never been all that keen on red Tabasco Sauce, but I love the green kind and we buy Frank's Louisiana Red Hot Sauce by the case. MMMMmmmm. Good stuff that.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Tabasco isn't as hot as Frank's. I use real horseradish (or wasabi, whichever's closer) for a chest cold, I can't get rid of sore throats without honey, I may try hot sauce sometime though.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used hot sauce for a "boost" in the morning or before a test.

I was eight, cut me a break! [Smile]

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah for Frank's. Real Southern Gentlemen use that or "blue" Crystal. Tabasco is for tourists.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Tabasco is good for hemorrhoids....
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tabasco isn't as hot as Frank's."

Really? I think Tabasco is much hotter. We use Frank's like spaghetti sauce around here, but I can only take a few dashes of Tabasco. I made my son do a blind taste test with Frank's and Texas Pete's, and he knew right away.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I can go check, they're deffinatly different in taste, and I don't think of Tabasco as hot as Franks.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Go do a blind taste test and get back to us, breyerchic!

The tastes are SO different.

Tabasco is aged for seven years or something like that, in oak casks. So it has more of an aged flavor.

Franks's, to me, has a better taste, though I do not find it as hot.

It makes the best chicken wings, ever. Deep fry the wings, then toss with butter and Frank's.

Also, chicken wing dip, which is a layered dip, but you have to like bleu cheese.

I bought a big old bottle of Pete's, and we will have to go through that before getting more Frank's. Or maybe not. My son was complaining last night. He eats his spaghetti with butter and Frank's, and Texas Pete was just not working for him.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Back!

I tested, with a slice of bread in between, my mom kept "score"

The Tabasco has more aftertaste, but until you swallow it's pretty mild, very vinegary.

The Franks is almost as hot, at least not much less, though less hot than I thought, but it has a nicer taste, and does not leave an aftertaste.

Ooh Franks with pasta sounds yummy, I used to eat pasta with butter and worch "lea and perrins" probably at about your sons age

Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah for Frank's. Real Southern Gentlemen use that or "blue" Crystal. Tabasco is for tourists.
Crystal? Frank's? Yuck! How can you say Tabasco is just for tourists? When my family and I ever have to leave Louisiana, we make sure to bring a bottle with us, 'cause nothing else can compare. Avery Island (where the factory is located) might be for tourists, but the sauce definitely isn't. It's just good.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
KETCHUP. That is all.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

at least get a spicy ketchup, like Brook's.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
The Dark Side is the best sauce.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
Tabasco isn't as hot as Frank's.
I have never tasted Franks. I don't think Tabasco is hot, but I LOVE the taste.

I also like Louisiana Sauce--tho it is cheap.

Ketchupqueen! No one can deny the power of ketchup, but it just doesn't have the kick I need. Ketchup is good for bland foods like macaroni and cheese, eggs, and hot dogs. OH..and eveyrhing else.

I like to combine Tabasco and Ketchup on 80% of what I eat. yummie!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
at least get a spicy ketchup, like Brook's.
THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUE KETCHUP, AND ITS NAME IS HEINZ!!! *smites breyerchic with the Ketchup of Righteousness*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Ketchupqueen! No one can deny the power of ketchup, but it just doesn't have the kick I need.
That is fine. May I suggest sambal oeleik?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Heinz is not bad, but not what I was raised with. But nothing other than Heinz or Brooks is worth eating.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Around our house, we go through lots of Franks Hot Sauce. It is the preferred condiment. And it is part of what makes my spicy chicken wings so gosh darn good.

But the bestest spicy condiment has got to be S'chug! I recently got past a bout of the flu taking nothing but bouillon with s'chug, chicken soup with s'chug, and tea. S'chug isn't a sauce, it is a paste of hot peppers and deliciousness. Stir half a teaspoonful into your soup and you are halfway to the moon. Stir in a full teaspoonful and whoo-hoo! Blasting off!

I mix it into my ketchup, and I stir three BIG spoonfuls into my chicken wing sauce. Those chicken wings are out of sight!

S'chug! Pure nectar!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sambal Oelik is the true king of hot sauce. [Big Grin]

I find it quite hilarious that, when I Google for the sambal oelik, I get... me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all about theCholula.

Although I do still like Tabasco in tomato soup, and sometimes added to ketchup to dip fries in.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
The king of hot sauce is what I make of habanero on my Mami's molcajete.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Vindaloo paste is our spiciness of choice right now. That's some good stuff, and you don't need much of it.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Vindaloo!!!!!

Ya baby!!!!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Hottest hot sauce ever.

I once picked up a bottle, then absentmindedly rubbed my eye. It ended up swelling shut.

Cock Sauce!

It has a rooster on it...

Also, my dad makes crazy good hot sauce from the Hawaiian chili peppers he grows. It keeps piling up because we never could eat it as fast as they grew. Birds sure as hell don't touch em on the plants.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I had a work friend who bought the insanity sauce. It came in a wooden crate with all sorts of warnings on it. He said you could only use one drop in a soup--and even that was only for those with a strong stomach.

Has anyone here actually tried it? I believe you about the swelling eye.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I have! I have!

I found it a few months before I left Canada. I followed the directions - oh, and I should mention first that at the store, I had to sign a waiver before they'd sell it to me - I added the one drop they suggested for a pot of chile, and ended up adding a few more. [Big Grin] But then, I'm a freak. [Big Grin]

Crown Princess of Pickle Relish
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for Crown Princess of Pickle Relish           Edit/Delete Post 
All of you plebeians are neglecting the true ruler of all condiments: pickle relish.
Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
The only reason that you are convinced that such concoctions as Sambal Oelek, Vindaloo Paste, Insanity Sauce, Tabasco, and Cholula are the best is because you haven't tried the s'chug. It comes in red and green. Red is hotter, but green has fewer seeds, for those people who like fewer seeds. Do not dispute the primacy of the s'chug before you have experienced its seductive nectar.

S'chug. There IS no substitute.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Well then. By all means, send me a bottle. I'm willing to be convinced I'm wrong. [Razz] [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, my dad likes to put about a Tbsp. of the insanity sauce in his food... [Angst]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Well then. By all means, send me a bottle. I'm willing to be convinced I'm wrong. [Razz] [Smile]

Um, it comes as a fresh paste, in a jar, that is kept refrigerated. I'm not sure how well it would keep on the way to Sri Lanka. I mean, I doubt something as flimsy a bacteria could stand its sterilizing heat, but the s'chug may degrade and lose its fresh piquancy on the journey.

So, you'll need to come here. [Taunt]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I'm pretty sure this is the stuff I had, and I'm also fairly sure that it was, at the time that I bought it, the hottest stuff available. At the very least, it was the hottest stuff where I was living.

Dagnabbit, Tante, talk about bribery! I guess I'll have to visit - I'm curious about that sauce now!

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All of you plebeians are neglecting the true ruler of all condiments: pickle relish.
Sweet, or dill?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a well stirred mix of relish, mustard, mayonnaise, chilli sauce and barbecue sauce. Never heard of tobasco [Frown]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Tabasco is a fairly thin hot sauce, mostly vinegar, peppers, and salt. It's not really that hot - 2500-5000 Scoville units.

quote:
I like a well stirred mix of relish, mustard, mayonnaise, chilli sauce and barbecue sauce
You're still young. *pat pat*
Crown Princess of Pickle Relish
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for Crown Princess of Pickle Relish           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
quote:
Sweet, or dill?
Either is acceptable.
Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Pepper sauce? [Angst]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Chilli sauce. (As in, chilli pepper).

It's quite nice - good on wings. You can get it at any Australian supermarket.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Americans call chilli sauce tobasco sauce?
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not quite.

It's not like sweet chilli - it is, as Quid described thinner, less sweet and more vinegary. But it is made with chillies!

The American phenomenon of "hot sauce" doesn't really exist here - I have found Tabasco, and recently one other brand.

The South East Asian chilli sauces (for example Thai sweet chilli - as you know, and of course sambal olek) are much more common. Which makes sense geographically.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Ahh. I will have to get some then. [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Sambal Oelik. Yummmm!!!!!!

I have only one bottle left.

My life is so empty. [Cry]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

<-- has LOTS of s'chug [Taunt]
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran out of Sambal Oelik and accidentally picked up their Chili Garlic sauce instead. It is good as well but not as tasty as Sambal Oelik. I also enjoy their Sriracha sauce.

One hot sauce that I have in my fridge right now is called Dan Ts Inferno White Hot sauce. It doesn't add a lot of flavor but does add a lot of heat to food. I have also tried their Honey Mustard which is awesome.

I think I might try making my own hot sauce this year but I will have to do some research first.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

A quick and easy one is to get those crushed red peppers from the spice rack and marinate them in oil. Hot pepper oil! They'll give you some at the Chinese restaurant, if you ask nicely.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

quote:
I like a well stirred mix of relish, mustard, mayonnaise, chilli sauce and barbecue sauce
You're still young. *pat pat*[/QB][/QUOTE]

Add to that mix tartare, caesar and plum sauce. *pats self*

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Blast!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I have now converted my parents in law to the gloriousness that is Sambal Oelik after making them my New Wave Garlic Bread and my sambal oelik'd chicken. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We went up to Santa Barbara this weekend. I have a new t-shirt; my husband saw it in the window and we both agreed that it was destined for me.

It's a kind of burgundy-ish red, with a white field the shape of a Heinz ketchup label on it. In Heinz-style block print capitals, the message on the label says it all: "I PUT KETCHUP ON MY KETCHUP."

I love it. [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.