FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Non-fiction reading

Author Topic: Non-fiction reading
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been off fiction for a while, mainly because I'm not particularly motivated to write. But I'm also depressed, and scaring myself with attempts to leave the realm of reality. (don't ask, but yeah that's what getting into a good fiction story would be for me right now and I really don't want to do that.)

That probably didn't make sense. But anyway, I'm interested in non-fiction at the moment, especially those that go into length on human nature and perception. So just wondering if anyone could recommend any. On my list so far are:

Lying: Moral Choice in Public and Private Life, Sissela Bok
Nixon: The Triumph of A Politician, 1962-1972, Stephen E. Ambrose
The Years of Lyndon Johnson: Means of Ascent, Robert A. Caro
In the Shadow of the Dome: Chronicles of a Capitol Hill Aide, Mark Bisnow
Writers in Hollywood, 1915-1951, Ian Hamilton
The Ages of Gaia, James Lovelock
Ice Time: Climate, Science, and Life on Earth, Thomas Levenson
The Lost Country Life, Dorothy Hartley
Almost Human, (not sure)
Guns, Germs, and Steel, Jared Diamond
Animals in Translation, Temple Grandin

You may know all of these as recommended by OSC, but I've just gotten started and am planning to read way way more than this. Interesting history books would also be appreciated, but nothing directly political, sociological, and especially not Sigmund Freud.

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Blink - Malcolm Gladwell
Impro - Keith Johnstone

Not sure if they're too sociological, but I've found them to be fascinating studies on human nature. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Blink, and 1776 is good too.

If I may be so bold, why not take a crack at some Classic literature? If you like history, read Herodotus and Josephus. Or philosophy ... well, take your pick. I find that kind of stuff some of the most enjoyable non-fiction. But then, I am somewhat odd.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams.

What an awesome read! This one never did get the recognition it dererved.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll endorse Blink too. The Tipping Point is by the same author and also good.

I just finished Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner. Quick read and it opens many doors for interesting debate.

On a completely different topic The Sunflower by Simon Wiesenthal is one of my favorites.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Come Back to Afghanistan -- Said Hyder Akbar

Parasite Rex -- Carl Zimmer

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I highly reccommend All the Shaw's Men by Stephen Kinzer. It was one of the assigned texts in my history of Iran class a few years ago, and is excellent. Kinzer is a New York Times correspondant, and therefore enjoyable to read (unlike some of the other texts I had to read for that class). The book details the 1953 CIA coup which deposed democratically elected Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadiq in favor of Mohammad Resa Shaw--an event which greatly tarnished America's image in the Middle East, but one which I was completely ingorant of before reading this book.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also endorse Blink.
I recently enjoyed The Virtues of War by Steven Pressfield, Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis and His Excellency: George Washington also by Joseph J. Ellis.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
The Professor and the Madman was good, as was The Meaning of Everything, both about the making of the Oxford English Dictionary. Simon Winchester is an entertaining writer, and these books are both charming. Also if you're into biography, David Starkey has written a very good one called Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne about Elizabeth I as a princess and a young queen.

Also, I'm reading an absolutely fascinating book called Strangers: Homosexuality in the Nineteenth Century by Graham Robb--so interesting to read because of all the things it says about cultural assumptions back then about homosexuality and the codes people used and whatnot. Or if you could find Oscar Wilde's Last Stand by Philip Hoare--it's about a libel trial over one of Oscar Wilde's plays, and the trial is just farcical. It's so funny.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
"On Revolution," by Hannah Arendt.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter is a good read on human perception.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
The Myth of Sisyphus: And Other Essays by Albert Camus.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
And for non-fiction of completely different sorts, I will echo Freakonomics and add Culture Matters (ed. Harrison & Huntington) and Notes from a Small Island (Bryson).
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan scored some 1960s historical collections for youth at a give-away and has been inseperable today from stories about the Civil War and Vikings.

It really is a lot of fun to watch him dig into the written word.

*smiles*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I adored Blood Sisters: The French Revolution in Women's Memory. It's about the French Revolution from the point of view of women who lived during it, so you learn a lot more about what life was like during that time period.

I'm trying to find The Travels of Ibn Battuta. If my library has it, that's next on my reading list.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
And Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, of course.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading Lolita in Tehran (by Azar Nafisi) was fantastic. I can't recommend it enough. Also The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad.

I third (?) the recommendation of Freakonomics. It raises a lot of questions that are fun to explore.

I'm reading a book about writing by Ann Lamott right now called Bird by Bird. She has a funny way of phrasing things (haha funny, not peculiar funny) and makes me feel like I'm not the only discouraged person in the world. I'm looking forward to reading her book about faith called Traveling Mercies. She's unconventional, and I relate.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.