FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lucas made Sasha cry

Author Topic: Lucas made Sasha cry
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
So me and my son were standing around Sams Wholesale club watching Star Wars Episode 1. (Hey, its free, and the loud crowd noises drown out most of the dialogue. Can you think of a better way to see it?)

Sasha looks up to his cousin Nick. Nick is heavilly into all things Star Wars. Hence Sasha, who has never seen any of the movies, is into all things Star Wars.

The kids at his school talk about it all the time.

So Sasha loves Darth Vader--the hero.

Meanwhile, back at the movie, I am trying to explain to him what is going on, and how that cute little kid with the angsty expression is really Darth Vader. He accepts that with no problem.

He doesn't quite understand who Obi Wan and the other Jedi guy is, and I can't remember his name. He starts talking about them as if Obi Wan is Darth Vader's older brother, and the other Jedi is his father.

Then he dies.

Sasha asked four times what happened, while staring at the screen in total disbeleif.

I explained.

There is a kid from India at his school who has talked to him about reincarnation, so Sasha believes that if you die, you go to heaven, where God fixes you up and sends you back to Earth. Darn those evangelical Hindu's. I have been trying to correct his assumptions, and did so here, explaining that Darth Vader's father is not coming back. He is gone from the rest of the movies.

And there, quietly, bravely fighting it, sitting in an oversized Sam's grocery cart in the middle of the store, Sasha begins to tear up and cry.

That nearly broke my heart.

Darn you George Lucas.

He's better now. He convinced himself that Darth Vader's father does come back at the end of the movies. Since the other Jedi masters--Obi-Won, Yoda, Anakin, do--I let him think this. We call his cousin who claims also to not like that part of the movies. Sasha is happilly sleeping.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

He convinced himself that Darth Vader's father does come back at the end of the movies.

Actually, the evangelical Hindu kid almost has the right of it. Darth Vader's "father" not only comes back, but teaches all those other people how to come back. That's fairly huge.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

quote:
So Sasha loves Darth Vader--the hero
Maybe he ought not see episodes 3-6 then. As I'm sure he would be heartbroken. That is unless Sasha has turned to the Darkside. [Razz] [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Take him to see Narnia and and show him that Quigon comes back as Aslan, the son of the emperor.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren, you just blew my mind.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is a kid from India at his school who has talked to him about reincarnation, so Sasha believes that if you die, you go to heaven, where God fixes you up and sends you back to Earth.
I'm always blown away by the depth of the conversations on the preschool playground. I guess it isn't until you get into elementary that the world becomes small again.

It almost makes me believe that we are born knowing everything important and slowly lose our wisdom as we eat from the tree of knowledge.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beren One Hand:
Take him to see Narnia and and show him that Quigon comes back as Aslan, the son of the emperor.

But not before he comes back as Raz Al'Ghul. And dies again.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm always blown away by the depth of the conversations on the preschool playground. I guess it isn't until you get into elementary that the world becomes small again.

It almost makes me believe that we are born knowing everything important and slowly lose our wisdom as we eat from the tree of knowledge.

there are actually whole movies devoted to that.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

there are whole religions devoted to that.

PS. What is Darth Vader's mother's name. What is the name of Obi Wan's teacher. Quo something. Sasha wants to know.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
His mother is Shmi, I believe (shmee), and Obi-Wan's teacher was Qui-Gonn.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
:)Sasha is so cute.
Acutally I remember being very young and thinking the same thing without being told...that reincarnation was the way things worked.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His mother is Shmi, I believe (shmee), and Obi-Wan's teacher was Qui-Gonn.
Yup. Shmi Skywalker and Qui-Gon Jinn.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, kq. You spared me having to look like the obsessive geek I secretly am. [Wink] [Kiss]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
That fiend! He made my cousin cry too!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks, kq. You spared me having to look like the obsessive geek I secretly am.
Oh, no problem. I pretty much breathed Star Wars during HS. *sigh*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

PS we spent much of today playing Star Wars. We would fight the bad robots, fight the big bad guy, and each time we won, we would go get the dead pappa, and bring him back to life.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

More followup. I put Sasha to bed tonight. After Little Red Riding Hood and a quick lullaby I thought he was a sleep. Then a few minutes later I see he is sitting up in bed, rocking back and forth.

He is scared of dieing.

Not really scared of dieing, but scared that if he dies and goes back, he won't have us as momma and poppa anymore.

We ended up talking about death and heaven and all that for about 10 minutes. I still don't know if what I said made sense to him. It was difficult because he has the nack of saying the cutest things at the strangest times.

Some of them are:

"There is Heaven and there is Russia, and that is all."

"I don't remember if I was in heaven before I was born, but Momma does."

"I don't want to go to heaven. It is to far away, and I don't have a car."

"Heaven's not in the sky. You can't walk on clouds."

"Some older people die and don't want to come back."

How can anyone discuss The Afterlife for Preschoolers when they are fed lines like that?

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Wear ear plugs.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I have kids, I want them to be like Sasha.

[Smile]

I love these stories. He's so cute!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, that is one profound kid. [Smile]

And thinking about death is entirely age-appropriate. In fact, everything I have read on the subject says that talking about it now, while he's thinking about it because of a movie, is the best way to go, instead of waiting until the puppy dies or something.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

We've been talking quite a bit about it. Here are some other gems of wisdom Sasha has brought up.

"There are a lot of baby toys in heaven."

"When you try to find me in heaven, you can change your clothes or your hair, but keep your eyes the same."

"Heaven is near Grandpa" to be exact, near Panama City Florida.

"The rain people watch us and take us up into the clouds to heaven." (My responce, "Yes, they are called Angels.")

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.