FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Socrates was a Christian (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Socrates was a Christian
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A Time when I Less Than Perfect English Got Me Into Funny
[ROFL]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
This one was pretty funny, even though I understood what the person meant, but anyways:

Girl: I saw that episode of 7th Heaven. I'm so sad that this is their last season.

Someone else: Yeah, they're cancelling it after this season.

Girl: They're not cancelling it! They're just not making any more episodes!

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
From a friend:
in my lab for biology of the brain, a senior bio major asks, 'well, if you didn't use part of your brain, wouldn't it rot and cause infection?'

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
GaalDornick, I said something along the lines of "Thank you, we'll discuss the options and get back to you if we decide to book the event."

And then I called a different caterer.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
You're obviously much nicer than me. [Evil]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cockroaches are members of the animal kingdom, though not mammals (or even vertebrates).

Sorry, erso, I think your friend was right.

Hence why this quote is in this thread...it's meant to be self-deprecating.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
These all remind me of the books "1066 And All That" and "Non Campus Mentis." Both full of these sorts of tidbits of wisdom.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
We were passing a small garter snake around the high school biology class as the instructor discussed the diets of various snakes, mentioning that some snakes have the ability to un-hinge their jaws when ingesting larger prey. One of the girls from the cheerleader squad raised her hand and said: "I read in the newspaper that a boa constrictor at the zoo got loose and ate a tiger."

The instructor challenged her, saying that it was impossible for a boa to EAT a tiger. She said that she would bring in the clipping if he didn't believe her. Sure enough, the next day she proudly marched in and handed the instructor a newspaper clipping about an escaped boa strangling a tiger.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago, I was sitting in Geometry. A senior in my class(I was a freshman at the time) was staring blankly at the ceiling. He's one of those big, football player types(not meant to be a stereotype against football players, but follow me here).

Me: "What are you doing, Dan? Counting the molecules in the cardboard?"

Dan: "Stupid! Cardboard doesn't have molecules! Go to class, idiot!"

Me: "So I guess cardboard is the newest element?"

Dan: "Geez, what are you, retarded? It's been on that table thingy since like, 1350 or something like that."

So next time teacher calls on me in science, I will be pleased to inform him that cardboard is element #0. Riiight.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I got a semi theoloigcal one.

Random Guy: "So ya, if I sin on Mars and die do i still go to hell? After all its nolonger on the world."

Oy. I'm agnostic and I know what World is meant figuratively to mean the Universe.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In fact, it has been proven that around half of the people in the world are below median intelligence.
Very true, but I've always maintained that 90% are below average intelligence.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was at a neighborhood picnic a while back when one of the neighbors was trying to get me to take one of his nice homemade rolls. I said, "No thank you, I'm allergic to wheat". He said, "No problem, these aren't made with wheat there made with white flour"

(I've actually heard this one many times. The funniest time was when the guy said "These aren't wheat, they're (long pause) umm wheat.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Oy. I'm agnostic and I know what World is meant figuratively to mean the Universe.

You know, though, it'd be really interesting if your afterlife varied depending on which planet you were inhabiting at the time of your death. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
From one of the papers I graded last semester:

"Immediately after Augustus' death and instant defecation, he was worshipped by all the people."

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Very true, but I've always maintained that 90% are below average intelligence
I love the way you do math...
Cause as I see it that means that 10% are above average not 90% are below.

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite possible, if those 10% are REALLY smart.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:

Me: Ham is pork.

But...but...but ham's not the other white meat! It's pinkish red!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Honors Sociology: Are there like, any people other than Eskimo's that live in Antartica?

Professor: *silence*

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Latin 463 student: "I don't understand. What does -que mean?"

(Errr... for those non-Latin students, this class is one step away from a Master's level and this person was asking what the word "and" was. This is a topic covered in the first six weeks of the first class of Latin.)

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Two guys walking out of class:

Guy 1: "Dude, I think I failed the test."

Guy 2: "Waddya get?"

Guy 1: "13 out of 30"

Guy 2: "Dude, that's like ... a 50%!"

'nuff said.

Also, while this may have been one of those 'you had to be there ones', in my Honors Sociology class we were talking about a trade the Orlando Magic recently made. The teacher refers to the guy traded for as "A big galoop" (Teach probably forgot the guys name, which is Darko Milicic or something). A guy walks in and sit down and asks the guy sitting next to him, who had been there for the whole conversation, in which Darko Milicic's name had, in fact, been mentioned, who the Magic had traded for. The guy responds "Some guy name Galoop".
I really had to try hard not to laugh out loud.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, order of magnitude, 13/30 does equal 50%.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

hm? Really? I thought it was 15.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I was in my honors Freshman Science class last year, and apparently they let just about anyone in them. The teacher was doing a demonstration to show that at certain wavelengths sound waves bounce back and increase in volume (echo). To show this he was holding a tuning fork over a tube of water and raising and lowering the level by lifting a tank of water connected by a hose up and down.

There was a girl in the class who was absolutely amazed by this, until she finally said "wait a minute, the water is changing levels every time you move that thing!" Apparently she had thought that the tuning fork was changing the level of water. I fell out of my chair laughing at her and I got a detention. [Frown]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's why I said 'order of magnitude'. It's what is technically known as an approximation.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

So on this forum, this kid who thinks he's smart talks about how he laughed at someone who, in his mind, demonstrated stupidity. Then this real smart person put the not-so-smart kid in his place by exposing the kids own ignorance.
[Laugh]

Let me tell ya, it was a riot!

lol [Razz]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, teaching a 9th-grade honors English class and trying to determine the students' familiarity with Thoreau: Have any of you read or heard of the book Walden ?

Class: silence

Cute blonde girl: OOOH! Yeah! I love that book!

Me: (rather surprised that CBG is a fan of Thoreau, awaiting further explanation)

CBG: There's this little guy, and you have to find him in the picture!

Class: That's Where's Waldo?, you idiot!!

That one of the more memorable chuckles from my very brief teaching career. But she was a good kid, with an innocence and willingness to participate that I found refreshing. She was consistently open and enthusiastic with none of the world-weary cynicism a lot of those kids already had as 9th-graders. But she did contribute her fair share of bloopers!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
My religious studies professor: Time and space and matter...those are two dimensions.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.