FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "This American Life" TV Show

Author Topic: "This American Life" TV Show
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Showtime greenlights TV adaptation of "This American Life"

quote:
Six Episodes Of New Series Based On The Award-Winning Chicago Public Radio Program Hosted By Ira Glass Begins Production This Spring....

"We've always thought of our job as making little movies for radio," said Glass. "So we were thrilled when Showtime approached us and suggested we actually take it to the next logical step. And as the radio show is like nothing else on radio, we believe the television version will be like nothing else on TV." Showtime Press Release

"This American Life" is one of my favorite things in the world. I've been listening to Ira Glass, Sarah Vowell, and David Sedaris for so long that I feel like they are my intimate friends.

It might be hard for the TV episodes to reflect the quirky, but hopeful, introspectiveness of the radio show. I have no idea what this show will be like. Perhaps a cross between "Ghost World" and "The Zero Effect"?

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking they'll drink coffee. And fight crime!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued, but one of the things I like best about the radio version is the narrative (the prose, the voice, the inflections) and that is bound to change at bit when you introduce video. I mean, I imagine they're not just going to add video to TAL-style prose at it exists now for radio. So, I expect this will be significantly different from the radio show, but I'm optimistic given the creative sources involved.

But, I don't have showtime and won't be getting it just to watch one show. I'll have to wait for DVD.

I'm kind of hypocritical in that I guess. There are several shows I really liked that were cancelled for lack of audience, which annoys me, but not enough to watch them when they air. For each one, I either discovered them on DVD or waited until they came out on DVD.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the same way Karl. My friends kept telling me to watch Firefly, Freaks and Geeks, and Angel during their first run. I ignored them and now I feel guilty about not supporting those fantastic shows while they still had a fighting chance to stay on network TV.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.