FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey, KarlEd, could you help me?

Author Topic: Hey, KarlEd, could you help me?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Karl, since you sent me one of your wonderful book thongs, I've been interested in trying my hand at making them.

How do you do them, and where do you get your beads? And, when you sell them, how much do they go for? There are a few boutique-y shops in my town that feature items from local artists. I could be a local artist, no?

I promise not to be competition to your book thong enterprise -- we can stake out separate territories.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the world is big enough for two book thong crafters?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Book thongs [Big Grin] - I keep expecting to see things they'd only sell in Key West.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh, you would be very upset to know they now sell Book Thongs (that look similar to these) at Borders nationwide. The world is big enough for at least a million book thong crafters.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Me? I'm not upset in the least, breyerchic04! I'm certainly not enough of a daredevil to enter the ruthless, cutthroat industry of book thong crafting. I've seen movies, and I prefer not to enter that world of shady corporate espionage and assassination, thank you very much!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
[Taunt]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I'd love to help you out. I'm heading home right now and may not get the info online right away, but if you can't wait I know I posted the instructions on the "inexpensive gifts" thread Belle started around Christmas time.

I'll reply more later. Glad you like the ones I sent. [Smile]

Oh, I can tell you that I've never sold them. (I haven't tried.) But there is a woman at my neice's school who sells them for $15 and I have it on good authority that the quality is far inferior to mine. (I have no idea if she actually gets that for any of them.) Were I to try selling them, I'd ask $10 and see if there were any takers.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, here's some quick instructions for you to look at until KarlEd gets back online.

http://www.beadstudio.com/info.php?a=383

I've made dozens of these suckers so far and they really are quick and easy. I enjoy it. so far I haven't sold any either, I've given them as gifts (and still have several here at the house that I'm putting up against those unexpected birthdays and such that pop up through the year.

Here are three I did for Christmas gifts:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36268326@N00/80458466/

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

When I gave one to my Speech teacher in high school (as a christmas gift) she gave me $8 for another one, longer for a hard back book, her idea not mine.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help. They look like a fun and easy project, with instant gratification, which is nice. And I like the idea of being a "local artist". I will wear a beret and beads. Oh wait! I already wear a beret and beads. I'd better get busy with the artiness.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the delay in responding. I suddenly got very busy at work. I see Belle has already posted some instructions. The ones I wrote are about halfway down this page.

Regarding sources, I get my beads from all over. If you're going to do this seriously (or even casually but for a long time), I highly suggest becoming a bead-hound. The larger your collection and the more varied your sources, the more options you will have when you sit down to make any free-form project like book thongs and the better you can make your designs.

I really like ordering from www.firemountaingems.com. You can also build up a pretty decent collection from local craft and fabric stores these days, but you'll pay more. For a small batch, the cost isn't that great, but if you do this in large batches or for profit you're going to want to seek out sources online or mail order. (Though you're close enough to NYC to make day trips and there are some FANTASTIC bead stores there.)

I also keep my eyes peeled at yard sales, antique markets, etc for "vintage" jewelry I can cannibalize. And I keep my eyes open in parking lots. You'd be amazed how many people lose an earring or leave behind a broken bracelet. And be creative. Beads don't just come from stores. If it has a hole in it, it can be a bead. If it doesn't have a hole in it, see if you can put one in it.

Let me know if you're successful selling these (so I can hunt you down for royalties [Wink] ) (j/k of course)

[Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Gutter floss.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I crochet my book thongs using no.10 crochet thread. I've made many for friends and family, and have received high praise. [Smile] I have perfected my technique with time. You can use whatever beads you can find. I get mine at Wal-Mart.

I got my pattern, although I've changed it slightly, from here: Crochet Me: Book Thongs

I like to add a few more beads on the tassel end.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Thanks guys! Perhaps I'll market mine as "Your Tante's Thongs".

Or maybe I'll work on the name some more.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Tante, I will say that the teacher who bought one of mine didn't like the name book thong. She called it butt floss (that's what she called the underwear)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister used to sell them at Venice Beach (along with her earrings and bracelets) on weekends. She says she got between $5 and $12 for them, depending on how fancy they were-- and how good the buyer was at haggling. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.