FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Writer's resources

Author Topic: Writer's resources
Constipatron
Member # 8831

- posted      Profile for Constipatron           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'd like to write. And I was wondering what I could do to learn to write much better than I am. I'm not in college yet, so I'm not certain what courses I could take to improve.

My major hang-ups are articulation; using the right words to describe what I want to express (I notice that OSC has such a wide variety of word usage), and how to fill a story between plot points so it's not so short or flat.

I know there are a lot of ways to write stories but finding that 'voice' as it were, somehow escapes me. What can I do to improve my articulation and that other thing I mentioned...*sheepish look* see what I mean?

I joined Southbay Manuscripters out here in Los Angeles County, but so far nothing actually helps from them aside from the short story contest they run; which I'm only mildly interested in.

I know I can't just start in the deep end to learn how to swim so I'd like to know if any of you could/would help me out. Just recently I've been craving to write and I get frustrated with my lack. Please help. Thanks.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Try playing word games. Crosswords and such.

Attempt to learn a second language. Okay, that one is not so easy, I know, but learning Latin has done just wonders for my understanding and use of English.

Read. Read anything and everything you can. Look up the words you don't know. Pay attention to the style of what you're reading, and try to note the tricks the writer is using.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Read a LOT.

The most well-spoken, articulate individuals I know were avid readers first. The best writers I know are well-spoken, articulate individuals in real life (social anxiety and physical setbacks aside).

Don't limit yourself to any given genre: read everything. This will not only expand your vocabulary (if you take the time to look up words you're not familiar with - this includes words that you think you're familiar with but can't define when you stop and think about it), but also show you hundreds of examples of how authors "fill a story between plot points."

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Garrrr, Eaquae beat me to it!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with the whole "read everything you can, no matter the genre" thing.

You could also join a writer's group or three, learn from others who've been there. There's a link to the Hatrack Writer's Forum at the top of this page. There are writers groups everywhere. If you want one, give us an idea of what you're looking for, and I'm sure you'll get loads of suggesetions.

Write. Write every day. Don't wait until you know what you're doing - the only way to learn is to do. I've read that it takes half a dozen books to learn how to write a book. I've also heard half a million to a million words, which amounts to pretty much the same thing. I find it's true - I've completed three first drafts, have another unfinished, and am working on the fifth - this novel is far, far, far better than the first. The first draft for each got progressively better.

Um, yeah, that's all for now. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to a kickass resource.

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/cgi/Ultimate.cgi

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 8831

Cool. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I just registered for the Hatrack writer's workshop today and hopefully I can learn loads more than my ignoramous cranium holds now. A lot of what you've said makes sense and I really hadn't thought of a couple of them before.
Yes, I'd like to look into other writer groups. I went to SouthWEST (to clear up an error above, sorry) Manuscripters and joined them but they don't actually offer any insight into HOW to write. The short story competition was the one thing that caught my eye. I have one or two I'd like to throw out there but still don't know how to write them. Plus, another problem I have is that the stories often get much larger than I originally intended. Most of the stories I have are novel length, there's just no way I could contain it in a short story or just one book. I imagine those might be more difficult to sell to an editor (I wouldn't know, really). So, yes, if you have any ideas, I'd like to hear them. I'm mostly interested in sci-fi. That's been my major influence throughout my life so far. Fantasy is okay, but fantasy too often has such generic icons such as dragons, dwarves, elves, etc and basically live under the shadow of Tolkein. Besides, I only have one fantasy story in the works. :-) Everything else is either sci-fi or allegory.
Sooo... after all that blabbing :-P please feel free to give me anything I might find useful, no matter what it is. If it gives me hand cramps from writing, all the better. Thanks!!

Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
So.....are you regular, or do you need silver bullets? [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 8831

LOL... thanks lem!
When you say "regular" WHICH application are you refering to? :-P

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Lem or Iam?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Read and Write a lot, and don't look back.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.