FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I may need surgery again :( - I did, but I'm home now (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I may need surgery again :( - I did, but I'm home now
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about you Belle.
*hugs*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Thoughts and prayers for you Belle.

((Belle))

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking of you Belle. Hope everything goes fine.
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the hits just keep on coming - got a letter today from the university telling me my application for an exception to academic policy was denied. That means they won't let me have a medical withdrawal so I just failed the three classes I was taking, which put me on academic probation. Yeah, I'm in a real good mood.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What?!

That's absurd. Your university clearly has some serious issues.

*hugs*

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear, Belle.
There has to be some way around that!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newfoundlogic 's Dad
Member # 9094

- posted      Profile for Newfoundlogic 's Dad   Email Newfoundlogic 's Dad         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle,its not a possible final result so don't worry. Needless to say I handled this for my son. Three initial thoughts/suggestions: 1) this may have come from a low level person-from my experience they have to be approved by a committee, 2) they may feel they need more extensive medical documentation (your oncologist needs to include a short (2 sentence) summary that you have a severe colon cancer, which will require extensive chemo, surgery, and radiation, because of which you will be medically unable to engage in any academic activites for blank to blank months, and 3) have someone else-spouse, friend, relative, etc handle this for you. You may be dealing with someone who is thinking if she can handle this then she can handle school. When someone else deals with the school on your behalf it helps get the message- you are to sick to handle/be bothered with things.

Lastly, I don't care how great you feel(and I read you don't feel great at all), please let the people willing to help you help you.

Sorry to rant but it upsets me that you should be disturbed by things like this. Please email me directly if we can help on something like this.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle - that really sucks and is totally unfair!

This is where you call in the troops to rally around and get the needed documentation and take it up with the administration.

*grrrr* at the admin folks

*hugs* for Belle

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I hope and pray your port surgery goes well on Tuesday.

Another way to approach your academic problems is with your professors individually. Depending on the university, professors have considerable power and can change grades to incomplete or whatever on their own, bypassing the administration.

Also, your professors could be advocates on your side vs the administration if you convince them of the severity of your illness. I think nfl's Dad makes a good point: when others advocate your position, it highlights the fact that you are sick and concentrating on getting better.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I actually talked to each professor, and they were each aware of what was going on and very supportive. Unfortunately, university policy required them to submit incompletes as my grades, and those incompletes were converted to F's.

I still have two months remaining to have those changed over to W's for withdrawal, but it's now in the hands of the Academic Policy department, not the professors. My husband thinks they were just too darn lazy to go through all the paperwork I submitted as documentation for my condition and want me to send something much simpler like a letter from the doctor saying "Hey, she has cancer and was too sick to continue the term." He may be right, I wanted to make sure they had all the information so I sent hospital bills to document the dates of surgery and the pathology report to confirm the diagnosis and a long narrative of exactly what took place and what conversations I had with doctors and with professors. Maybe a simple letter from my doc would have been enough. At any rate, I know my oncologists' office will send the letter if I ask them, so next time I'm in there I'll talk to them about it. We'll see what happens.

I have to be at the hospital at five am, and I talked with the anesthesiology department today so they could get my pre-op interview done. Same exact questions they asked me two months ago, and nothing has changed, but they have to do it new every time. I'm not allowed to take any medication and I told her my nausea was really bad early in the morning and she said that they would give me something at the hospital. Then she said "I normally give everyone a speech about what to expect but looking at your medical history, you've been a guest of ours so often you probably have it down pat."

That's pretty sad, if you think about it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Belle))) I will send you good vibes tomorrow and keep you in my prayers.

Have you seen Wit with Emma Thompson? There's a scene where she's asked to give her medical history for the second time and she's rather confused because she already did it. Anyway, she goes through it all again.

By the middle of the movie she knows enough to simply give her name (and then the spelling) followed by her Dr.'s last name (and the spelling) before the nurse even asks. What you said just reminded me of that. *sympathy*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I need to go to bed but I don't want to. Nerves, I guess.

I just hope they can get a vein, every time I go to this hospital they have trouble either drawing blood or starting an IV. The nurses at my oncologist's office said my veins can't be felt, you have to just go on sight, but they usually don't have trouble. Thing is, at this hospital if one person can't stick you they go get someone else, when I'd just as soon the person tried again. So it seems to take forever to get my IV started. And of course, they can't give me the good ole anti-anxiety meds through my IV until they get it started. [Wink] They are very nice though, they inject some lidocaine under the skin so you don't feel the deep stick which is considerate.

'Course when you've been stuck as many times as I have it seems an unnecessary luxury, but I guess some folks who are really uptight about getting IV's started appreciate it.

Now I know I've got some nerve issues 'cause I'm rambling about IV's on an internet board at 10:00 pm when I have to be at the hospital in seven hours. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm praying for you, Belle. [Kiss]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thank you kq. I just told Wes I was nervous about them getting an IV started and he said "If they'd just leave everything in the room, I'll do it."

I can imagine a nurse coming in to start the IV and saying "Oh, did someone else already do it?"

"Yeah, it was the IV fairy."

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Whenever something got done overnight, my mom used to say that the "such-and-such fairy" did it. Like, if I got up early and did the dishes, "Oh, I see the dishes fairy came!"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] That is awesome, Belle. Wish you could just have him do it.

*hugs*

We'll be thinking about you. Good luck.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] IV fairy. [Smile]

I've been praying for you daily, Belle, and you'll have extra good wishes coming your way tonight and tomorrow.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob and I will also be praying for you tomorrow.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

My prayers and thoughts will be with you, too, Belle. God bless you.

*hugs*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*

I'm lighting a candle in my home for you tomorrow morning and will be thinking of you.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
You have been and will continue to be in our prayers, too, Belle.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll keep praying for you, Belle.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking of you today. And by the time you read this, it will be all over and you'll be home again.

I once thought the IV fairy came to me in the night, and I looked under my pillow for a dollar. She HAD come too -- my search was in vein.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* at Tante.

I'm thinking about you, Belle. [Smile] *hugs*

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it is going smoothly.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm praying for you today, too, Belle.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

*hugs and prayers*
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it goes well. (((Belle)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~praying for Belle~~~~~~~
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*sending good vibes and praying for you Belle* Let us know how it went as soon as you're up to it. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

still have two months remaining to have those changed over to W's for withdrawal, but it's now in the hands of the Academic Policy department, not the professors.

First, I hope everything went o.k. with your surgery, Belle.

Second, I would like to strongly encourage you or someone else you know to start personally walking this issue up the chain of command at your school. Almost every school has some kind of open door policy. Take advantage of it. Go to the president's office and try to talk to him personally. If he won't help you, go to his boss at the state level and talk to him. Look into legal options if you have to. Apply pressure. Be persistent. What have you got to lose? Three Fs would be devastating on almost any transcript and I can't see that you have any other choice but to make sure you get those Ws by hook or by crook.

It's outrageous that you're having to do this at your school with all that you are going through. It's ridiculous that they are not working with you. I sincerely wish you the best in getting everything resolved.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking of you Belle!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The IV Fairy is, of course, a coleague of mine. She's always going on about how Tooth gets all the press, but I tell her people would just mis-spell her name as F-O-U-R anyway.

Thinking of you Belle,

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Hello everybody - I'm home. The prayers and well wishes were definitely felt, this went off almost without a hitch.

Pixiest, you must have kept the IV fairy busy somewhere else today, because she wasn't there. they tried to start one on my left hand and it didn't work and because my platelets are low the site bled copiously. However, the second attempt on the right hand worked like a charm.

I have no pain whatsoever on the left side, where the port was removed. The surgeon put a new one in the right side. We got there at five, and I was taken back to the OR at 6:15 and we were out the door around 10:00. Not bad at all.

I'm a little sore, but I have some pain meds to take. The local is still in effect, so I'm not feeling the brunt of the pain yet. But, I know what to expect and last time the recovery from this procedure was quick.

Praise God I did not get strep from any of the sickies in my family! How I avoided it, especially with my resistance low from the chemo, I don't know. But they're all on antibiotics and I appear to have escaped it so far.

My church family was praying for me and you guys were praying and sending good vibes and I know it helped me. I had no anxiety or fears about this proceudre at all, and the doctor said it couldn't have gone more smoothly. Hopefully this port will work well for a long time to come and we'll be able to finish chemo with it.

I love you guys - group hug.

[Group Hug]

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear all went well, Belle. Get some rest!!!!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck with your recovery! Take care of yourself. You have my prayers, too, for what it's worth.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurray!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Home Belle!!!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm so glad it went smoothly. Hope you recover quickly. Welcome home!
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're home and it went well. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I'm so glad it went okay. I was thinking of you all day.

*hug*

Sorry you have to deal with that crap from the school. If they don't reverse their decision, I'll curse 'em for you. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I intend to make the school decision a moot point by finishing my novel and getting it published, reaching bestseller status so that I won't have time to go to school - I'll be too busy writing more books.

Yes, I'm high on pain killers. [Wink]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
You go, Belle! Glad to hear the surgery went smoothly. Hope you rest well tonight.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Glad you're home. [Smile] How long 'til you take the new port for a test drive?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Monday I go back to chemo.

I'm off to bed. In a slightly drugged state I have just now completed the full outline of my novel, and will begin fleshing out the first draft tomorrow. I feel pretty good - the sucker's plotted, the characters are so fully developed I swear I should be charging them rent, and I've never been so excited about a project. [Big Grin]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Belle, a good surgery, and her book!!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about you all day, Belle. I'm glad the surgery went well (as well as can be expected at least). I'm a hard stick, too and it isn't fun (I developed "junkie arm" when I was on the mag). The first couple of times you think, "This isn't so bad, I can take this easily." The third and fourth times you think, "I really wish they'd hurry up with this." Then, when they stick you through a giant bruise, you think, "I am so @#%*& tired of this." I am wincing in sympathy for you.

I am furious, however, about the school situation. They are required to accomodate you, by law, and they should not be making you jump through hoops to get the accomodation you are entitled to. Aside from that, they should just help you out of basic human decency.

Congrats on the novel - I can't wait for my advanced copy. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

quote:
the characters are so fully developed I swear I should be charging them rent
You go, girl!

I'm glad the day went smoothly.

[Big Grin]

Belle
Member # 2314

I'm slowly trying to recover some strength, but slowly is the operative word.

Seems I did not escape the strep bacteria that plauged my kids - in fact, as of right now, six out of the seven people in our household are on antibiotics for strep infections. Yes, including me. But everyone is getting better faster than me. I guess because my blood counts are depleted from the chemo.

I've been weaker and sicker than I ever remember being in my life - it's been about the worst episode of illness I can ever remember. Everything from high fever and chills to a terrible sore throat and coughing fits that did nothing good for the incisions on my chest.

I might be turning the corner today. I actually decided to get up, come down here and check my email (40 messages!) and wash my hair. That's a good sign I think.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.