FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your books and music --->>

Author Topic: Your books and music --->>
Topher
Member # 9028

- posted      Profile for Topher   Email Topher         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all -

I'm just going to list some of the media I'm consuming, and check what all of you are into as well. Feel free to beat me to a bloodly pulp for my poor taste.

Books: Heretics of Dune, Disco Bloodbath, *A quasi-scientific/prediction novel whose title I am forgetting*, A Feast for Crows, Truman Capote biography.

Music: Rock - Emery, Silverstein, Alexisonfire, The Postal Serivce, Propellerheads, Imogen Heap, Sneaker Pimps, Cursive.
Electronica - Tiesto, Carl Cox, Keoki, Daft Punk, The Prodigy, Paul Van Dyke.
Hip-Hop/Rap: Lil' Jon, Shawna, Trina, Dizzee Rascal, Lil' Kim, Missy Elliot.

Movies: DVD-Ghost World, Waiting for Guffman, Totally F****ed Up, Hero, 2046, Constant Gardener, Happy Endings.
Theaters-I see almost everything. Still - BamBam and Celeste, The Squid and the Whale, etc

Ran out of time!

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hip-Hop/Rap: Lil' Jon, Shawna, Trina, Dizzee Rascal, Lil' Kim, Missy Elliot."

*Beat Topher into a bloodly pulp for his poor taste*

[Wink]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Music-
Dir en grey
Isaac Hayes
Tori Amos
Enya
The Shins
Buck Tick
Cocteau Twins
Dead Can Dance

Movies-
Better than Sex
Sin City
South Park

Video Games-Shadow Hearts

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*Beat Topher into a bloodly pulp for his poor taste*
Seconded. Add on extra beatings for DJ Keoki and Paul van Dyke. Subtract beatings for Daft Punk, TPS, Cursive.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Copied out of a profile somewhere:

Authors: I tend to read the same books over and over again, mostly because I read daily and have other expenses (sigh), so I go through my ~250 books in about half a year. I tend to read a lot of Sci Fi, although I'm not a terribly adventurous reader - I stick to the authors whose writing I like best. Heinlein, Asimov, Card - these are good things. Eddings and Feist are a good time, in a speed-read, trashy-fantasy sort of way. Beyond that, I like Kerouac, Robert Calasso and Vonnegut, and was fond of Pahlaniuk until the repetetiveness got a bit overwhelming. I also tend to submerge myself in poetry: Whitman, Eliot, C.K. Williams, Neruda, M. Collier, J. Taylor, Bukowski, Sexton, Collins, and whatever happens to stay with me for more than five minutes.

Directors: P.T. Anderson, W. Anderson, C. Crowe, A. Kurosawa, S. Kubrick, S. Jonze, M. Gondry, T. Burton, inevitably others that aren't on my mind at the moment.

Musicians: Far, far too many to list, but the ones that tend to get the most repeat play are The Notwist (and, by extension, 13 & God), Placebo, Daft Punk, Muse, Hall & Oates and Massive Attack. Queens of the Stone Age have been getting a lot of play lately, as has Rain Tree Crow and Morcheeba. Radiohead, John Mayer, Trace Bundy, Basement Jaxx and Sigur Ros will always be welcome when the player's on Shuffle. I saw a rocktronica band Beehive on New Years Eve that intrigued me, but they were CD free. There's one thing to hate about Seattle: tons of great, talented bands that have the potential to make it on a larger scale...and they're all broke. I also offer love to my friends The People Now and Omni.

Video Games: Right now playing City of Villains, Dragon Quest VIII, and trying to find another copy of Disgaea. Oh, and Katamari Damacy and its sequels are some of the greatest games ever created.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Sneaker Pimps. I'd subtract beatings for them too.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had four CDs in my car changer for the last month and haven't even felt like changing them:

Enya - Amarantine
Enya - Watermark
Wicked - Original Broadway cast
Pride and Prejudice - soundtrack to 2005 movie

I haven't read much lately, but I recently reread all of Jane Austen and started to reread Little Women. I'm in that sort of mood.

Movies: I'm on a Shakespeare/Colin Firth/Kenneth Brannagh/Period/Emma Thompson film kick since Christmas. I've recently watched The Importance of Being Earnest, Sense and Sensibility, Henry V, Dead Again, Little Women, Serenity (can you doubt?), and the BBC Pride and Prejudice. My most recent theater film was The Producers which made me laugh so hard that I was in pain.

Extra points go to whomever can guess my gender after that list. [Big Grin]

I'm also ashamed to say that I've been keeping up with American Idol. *runs away*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I'm gonna go with female.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
The list is just too long, so I'm only going to put what I'm very currently in the middle of.

Music: Head Automatica. Aimee Mann. The Wicked soundtrack.

Books: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Clarke

Movies: I have tentative plans to see Brokeback Mountain this weekend.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading Magic Street again and Choke.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Music: A lot of Bob Dylan, show tunes, and the Beatles. That's just 'cause I look like John, though. Plus there's Green Day and 30 Seconds to Mars.

Books: Orson Scott Card, Neil Gaiman, Chaim Potok, Terry Pratchett, Jasper Fforde, and Jane Austen.

Movies: Serenity, Finding Neverland, Big Fish, and Fun With Dick and Jane.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
Music:
The following artists are currently on my iTunes' most played: Pearl Jam, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, My Morning Jacket, Spoon, Neil Young, Wilco, Sonic Youth, Modest Mouse

Books: OSC, William Gibson, Tad Williams, Isaac Assimov

Movies: I haven't really seen that many movies recently, with the exception of The Constant Gardener, which I thought was good.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Music: Wicked Soundtrack, Jack Johnson, Martina McBride

Books: Martin, Hobbs, church stuff

Movies/TV: 24 beginning with season 1, Lost, Serenity, Narnia, Chicken Little (for the kiddies) and that's about it.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Rereading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

Watching Alias Season 1 on DVD. I've never seen it before. I think I like it.

Also watching South Park on DVD. Some of Matt and Trey's mini-comentaries are as funny as the show.

Listening to.. Well, it WAS South FM (Ok, I bought the album for 1 song) but then my hubby lost it. We've torn the room apart and can't find it. grr.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished rereading the Star Wars X-Wing series for the millionth time, and I think I'm going to move on to rereading Michael A. Stackpole's "Wolf and Raven" which is one of his contributions to the Shadowrun universe.

Musically, I'm hooked on The Coral right now.

The last good movie I saw was Hoodwinked. That was hilarious.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still reading Kelly Armstrong's "Stolen"

Music: Hatebreed, Ill Nino, Lords of Acid, Type O Negative, Nightwish, AC/DC, Mushroomhead, Cradle of Filth, Ronnie James Dio, Danzig, Disturbed, NIN, Noise Therapy, Rammstein, Soil, Symphorce, and so many more.

Movies: My favorite is The Sting, but I rarely watch movies these days. Something about high ticket prices.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Books: Two by Terry Pratchett right now. No time lately. Just finished one about the thing that happened to the dog in the night, didn't love it.

Music: Damone, Matisyahu (!!), Imogen Heap, Yoko Kanno (Thanks synesthesia!), Bjork, 28 Days Later soundtrack, lots of other girly stuff.

Movies/TV: Also no time for these. Scrubs season 2, Sex and the City, just saw Underworld.

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Cursive: wonderful choice. While you're at it, check out the rest of the Saddle Creek gang here. Pay special attention to Bright Eyes.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
While you're at it, check out the rest of the Saddle Creek gang here. Pay special attention to Bright Eyes.
Bright Eyes is only mediocre compared to Connor's side project, Desaparecidos, although roughly half of Saddle Creek's bands are good - much better than the average label.

Oh, and for a really interesting listen, check out Commander Venus, Connor's highschool band.

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm watching "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" on AMC even as I write this. And I'm currently reading "Strange Itineraries", a short story collection by Tim Powers. Haven't been listening to much music, aside from the compilation CD Amira sent me in the Secret Santa exchange, and which is fabulous.

I've been working on my current writing project (which means that I've spent the past few days researching the current state of paleoanthropology) too much to concentrate on much else.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Music:
Yoko Kanno
Eric Whitacre
Michael Giacchino
Imogen Heap/Frou Frou
Jeremy Soule
Joe Hisaishi
Origa
Hogari Hisaaki
Astrud Gilberto

In summary, anything that isn't rap, country, or real heavy metal. (beats Topher into bloody pulp) [Big Grin]

Books:
Currently reading tons of "turn a new leaf" books.
7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Million Dollar Habits (very funny)
How to go to College For (almost) Free
Don't Miss Out

Movies/TV:
Lost, GITS:SAC 2nd GIG, and Empire of the Sun as soon as I get to the store.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Earendil, how is GITS:SAC? I really liked the original and enjoyed the sequel, but felt it was a step down. Do the characters and universe hold up in a series?
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

YOKO KANNO!
WEEEEEEE!!!!

I liked the bit of GITS:Sac I saw. The music is just great.

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I just moved into a new place and cancelled my subscription to cable, so in its place I've been getting TV shows on DVD from Netflix. (because while we had cable, we never watched, you know TV series or anything... just a lot of Food TV, Discovery Channel and A&E)

We've loved the Monk episodes. We've watched the first 2 discs from the first season.

We watched the pilot episode for Dead Like Me. As much as I love Mandy Patinkin, I'm still not sure about the series. I may try one more disc from the first episode. If it doesn't grab me, I won't watch any more.

The next disc on my queue is the first Firefly disc. The only thing I know about this show is that a lot of Hatrackers like it and there's a movie based on it. If I like the series, I'll probably watch the movie too.

I usually listen to whatever music my girls are playing. They listen to a lot of groups, but the only names I can think of are Greenday and Blink 182.

I read whatever I can get a hold of. I haven't had a lot of time to go to the library lately, but I've picked up some paperbacks from an exchange at work. Since the beginning of the year, I've read several of Robert Aspirin's Myth series, two of Cornwell's Scarpetta novels (the newest, which I hadn't read before and an older one which I had), a John Grisham novel, a collaboration by Jonathan and Faye Kellerman, a Dilbert collection and probably a few other things I can't come up with off the top of my head.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Books:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Ender's Game
Fight Club
Farenheit 451
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Idlewild
The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes

Movies:

Saving Private Ryan
The Pagemaster
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (TV production)
BASEketball
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
12 Monkeys
The Iron Giant

Music:

Nevermind-Nirvana
Metallica-Metallica
The Wall-Pink Floyd
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness-The Smashing Pumpkins
Ultimate Collection-The Who
Lines of My Face-Chronic Future
A Wild and Crazy Guy-Steve Martin (Ok, so its comedy not music)

TV Shows:

South Park
Family Guy
Grey's Anatomy
Arrested Development
Ren and Stimpy
Pink Panther (cartoons)
My Name is Earl

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Earendil, how is GITS:SAC? I really liked the original and enjoyed the sequel, but felt it was a step down. Do the characters and universe hold up in a series?

I actually prefer the way the characters are in the series, instead of the movies. The series concentrates more on politics/action, and while it does cover philosophical ground, it's not nearly annoying as it was in the movies.

Production values are off the charts too. The quality of animation and sound combined with a good story "make this a must see." The 2nd SAC series? ON. STEROIDS.

As usual, the Bandai english dubbing is horrendous.

/plug

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I actually prefer the way the characters are in the series, instead of the movies. The series concentrates more on politics/action, and while it does cover philosophical ground, it's not nearly annoying as it was in the movies.
Ah, see, the philosophical portion of the movies was really what did it for me. That and the opening theme of the first movie. *shiver*

There is a lot to be said for good action anime, though. I wouldn't call Bleach deep on any level, but damn me if it isn't enjoyable to watch.

quote:
Production values are off the charts too. The quality of animation and sound combined with a good story "make this a must see." The 2nd SAC series? ON. STEROIDS.

As usual, the Bandai english dubbing is horrendous.

The parts I saw definitely looked pretty. And I would definitely only watch it subbed - with the exception of some of Studio Ghibli's movies, I really haven't seen any anime with decent dubbing.

That's that, then - guess I have a new series to Netflix.

quote:
/plug
*GASP* You're a PLANT, aren't you?!
Earendil18
Member # 3180

oh-em-gee!

I'm not saying they threw philosophy completely out, they just handled it differently, and with a longer timeframe to deal with, they did it a lot better.

However to prevent any confusion, there are only...(counts)...9 or so episodes that cover the main story arc. The rest of the episodes are "stand alone", and delve into characters and the world that they live in.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Movies -- a lot of '70s ones lately, that's a nostalgia thing, either ones I saw as a kid or never saw the first time around -- so, Airport, Airport '75, King Kong ('76 version), Rollerball, Silver Streak, etc.

Music -- Gilmore Girls soundtrack collections

TV shows -- Gilmore Girls

Audiobooks -- The Big Over Easy (Jasper Fforde), By the Great Horn Spoon! (Sid Fleischman)

Books -- Freakonomics

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brianna
Member # 9109

- posted      Profile for Brianna   Email Brianna         Edit/Delete Post 
Books - late 1800-early 1900's edition of Paradise Lost by John Milton. The entire Chronicles of Narnia( Now on Prince Caspian) and a Physics Textbook.

Music- Harry Potter soundtracks, Joydrop:Metasexual, All of Fiona Apples cds, and the soundtrack to the game Disgaea.

Movies- Labyrinth is always on, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Time Bandits, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Television- Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, Brainiac and Attack of the Show.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brianna
Member # 9109

- posted      Profile for Brianna   Email Brianna         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are at the moment what I'm watching/reading anyway, and to add games, I'm playing Xenogears, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and Dungeon Siege
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.