FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sunglasses advice

Author Topic: Sunglasses advice
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, since my nephew broke my last pair of sunglasses (reminder to self: don't leave sunglasses sitting around where he can reach them), I'm getting a new pair.

Sunglasses have always confused me. I know the way-too-cheap kind are bad because they still let in some light to damage your eyes. So I know not to buy $10 ones... but how much do I need to actually spend? I don't care about fashion or brand names, and so don't want to buy a $200 pair, eep.

I spend a lot of time outside doing gardening/farming. I'm interested in the kind of sunglasses that're nice and big, block out all the UV light, but don't mess up colors much. (And don't cost $500 or whatever.) Any one have any faves/recommendations?

(I checked, and Consumer Reports hasn't reviewed sunglasses. Did find this nice link that explains the reasons behind the different kinds of sunglasses, but it doesn't have any actual ratings for sunglass brands.)

[Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're just supposed to look for sunglasses that say they're UVA and UVB safe. The usually have a little sticker or something that says "UV Protected". I've bought multiple pairs that were $10 or $20 that had this protection. Another thing to look for is that you want to make sure the sunglasses completely cover your eyes. Smaller lenses are more fashionable, but they allow light into your eyes when your pupil is enlarged. That makes it potentially worse than not wearing sunglasses.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:

[Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

I like the third one from the left.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oakley and Vuarnet are my top choices for function (vs. fashion). Oakleys are a little bit cheaper and they fit really well for good coverage. You should definitely try them on before you buy them though!! What kind did you have before... get another pair of those?
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
These are pretty sexy, have low refractivity, UVA, UVB and UVC protection, etc.

These, made by the same company, are also bulletproof and have interchangeable lenses in different colors.

I love Gargoyle sunglasses.

ETA: oh, yeah, note the LIFETIME WARRANTY.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boon:
are also bulletproof ... note the LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Which, apparently is not voided by having people try to shoot you in the eye. Good to know.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Lots of competition sports shooters wear them.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother got Gargoyles for while he's at the paintball field. When he's actively playing, he's wearing a full face mask, but he has in fact been "gogged" while out on the sidelines. Didn't break his glasses, but it was enough to get him looking at new equipment.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lifetime warranties are great . . . except if you are one of those people who doesn't break 'em, but loses 'em instead.

I buy sunglasses cheap (mostly at the 99-cent store, but sometimes up to $5-10 a pair). This is not a problem IF you check that they are UVA/AVB safe. There's usually a sticker.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.