FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The crib of civilization (a game) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The crib of civilization (a game)
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
So, let's pretend that I bought my own little continent with no human inhabitants and an awesome climate. I land there to my new haven and start enjoying myself to no end until I realize that I want to start a new civilization. I proclaim myself the ruler of it all and I invite Hatrackers to join in here. What would your role be? Make up your own! I need stuff like high priest(ess), councelors for moi and stuff like that that any other civilization would need. Of course, we also need our military branch so positions in that are open too. Well, start posting people, what would your role be? Just write down the title of your position and a description of it. The description may be as long or as short as you like, but I'd rather have detailed ones because it adds that "zing" to the game. After all, we ARE trying to make up our own culture here. You can invent whatever bogus job you feel like it but it must be of some benefit to us. After our civilization has strength enough to be considered one, we can appoint bad guys too, just to make things intresting.
Just remember to be creative and have fun!

First off, since I'm the ruler, I shall call myself the Zanark, because it sounds cool. The Zanark is basically the ruler of it all. Although she rules it all, she must be a selfless person who thinks about her people before herself. Afterall, the people happen to be stranded there because of her.

My first action as the Zanark is to name our civilization. I shall name it...Pokadoodle.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
Long live the Zanark of Pokadoodle!

I hereby offer my services as Sumitpo, or The Most Optimistic Person Alive. I claim that it is an absolutely vital service for any (great) civilisation.

I’m not a wise person, in fact I might be at times the most naļve person around, but most often than not, every group needs someone to occupy that position. In fact there can’t be a group without one [Big Grin] . In fact, for now, Great Zanark, you have that role yourself! I’ll take that burden off your back [Wink] .

So my job is to be optimist (nothing to do with optimization!), to have hope when there is none. When everything goes well, I’ll be almost invisible, but when things go wrong, and everybody is exclaiming “It can’t get any worse!” I’ll be the one to exclaim: “Yes, it can!” [Big Grin]

I know you will accept my services gladly, I mean, I’m most optimistic about the success of my application.

A., your true Sumitpo.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll be Tante the leader of the rebel coup that overthrows the potentate Zanark. [Evil]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Major General (The very Model of a Modern Major General) Bradley who prevents the coup through a ruthless campaign of oppression against the rebellion.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, Tante, I was gonna lead the rebellion!

Instead, I shall inflitrate the army and backstab Blayne for you, k?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be in the cabinet, chief advisor on technology, science, and development. I shall be known as Tatiana.

Rebels, know ye that we have better weapons, and always apply them only for truth and justice. I'm advising Zanark to give you a nice state with varied geography to have for your own, in return for your pledge of eternal fealty and solemn oath to uphold the right.

If you start oppressing your citizens, we will have to take it back. Now have fun, play nicely, and come see us if you need any help.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

You forgot the part where I'm a paranoid careerist, I'ld never let anyone close enough to me to allow them to assasinate me. However don't forget that I'm a brilliant and methodical General Officer, I'll turn the people against the rebellion so you can't become fish within water and with no where to hide all you can do is run.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And I shall fill a request Tatiana that we exterminate the rebellion before it spreads, I immiediatly request the emergancy powers nessasary to do my job.
suminonA
Member # 8757

I know your plots are useless. The rule of Zanark of Pokadoodle will outlast the eternity.
* wishes good wishes to all plotters though *

PS: wait! I haven't been accepted yet for the position of Sumipto. I take that back. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am Mr. Raven, Manufacturer, Developer, and both Retail and Wholesale markter for all varieties of lethal weapons, poisons, concoctions, and other devices. I sell to both the legitamate government and the rebel alliance, which should make me the richest man in Pokadoodle in about three days.

We have everything you need to send your friends and foes, relatives and strangers, to the next world and beyond. Don't forget to save that something special for yourself.

Now hiring, Ballistic Reseptacle Damage Assesors, Lethal Beverage Taste Analyzers, and Pointed Projectile Product Piercies. If you have built up an immunity to Iocaine Powder, then the retirement benefits are to die for.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
And I shall fill a request Tatiana that we exterminate the rebellion before it spreads, I immiediatly request the emergancy powers nessasary to do my job.

Well now it sounds like Blayne is out to overthrow the government himself. I'm not sure that it's going to be all that safe on this continent.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Court jester who is secretly working for the rebels. And Blayne's secret police. Nobody knows which side I'm really on, but I'm too valuable a resource to each side to be disposed of.
Besides, I have a funny hat.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I guess I'll be Tante the leader of the rebel coup that overthrows the potentate Zanark. [Evil]

Now citizens, there can't be any seperatists right now, go buy your own continent. [Big Grin]

EDIT: Although what Tatiana said is good too, I'll rule you as a colony instead. Your island shall now be known as Rockity. Go, live there, be happy but don't get too cocky or we'll just have to blast you with our...um...pointy hats that shoot lasers.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

The position of Sumitpo goes to SuminonA.
Braine Bradley, you are now my Major General.
Tatiana, you are my chief advisor.
Raventhief, you are my court jester but the minute I eventually find out you are a traitor, well I shall be forced to turn you in to the authorities for your war crimes.
Mr. Raven, you are appointed head of the marketting department, go make me some coasters or something. Make me some with David Bowie in them.

EDIT: *from her balcony where she makes public announcements*
Citizens, the Zanark has spoken!!
*this is the part where the citizens bow down at me. [Hail]

*turns and goes back to playing with her Star Wars Legos*
All important people that have been appointed their stuff and whatnot, they can stand around and watch those people continue to hail moi.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*mildly correct spelling* *Blayne*

That is acceptable, but I shall keep a small taskforce to keep watch and the Armed Forces will escourt the rebel forces to th island. I shall obey the civilian governet.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
solemn oath to uphold the right.

No good. Mine is a leftist movement.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

That's so gauche!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

umm- that's head of the military/industrial complex of Pokadoodle.

or at least CEO/CFO/CIO and any other C-O's we can think of, for Pokodoodle Inc.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I appoint myself the Memorist. I keep the memories of the Land-That-Was, way across the sea, so that we might not make the same mistakes to make people leave. I also create and hold the archives of monumental events and organize the ever-expanding library of everything.

Oh, and I have excellent command of many languages.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

It's Pokadoodle, Dan.

EDIT: Position accepted, Carrie.
The Zanark has spoken.

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be Fluff, the Italian matchmaker's bumbling assistant!

Wait, we need an Italian matchmaker first . . .

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nellie Bly
Member # 9129

- posted      Profile for Nellie Bly   Email Nellie Bly         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided that I AM the head of media and mass communications as well as second in command.
It only seems logical as I am, in fact, A to the D's room mate. As head of Pokadoodle's M&MC, I control all incoming and outgoing media sources including, but not limited to, television broadcasts, the press and radio.

[thinking]Then I need to say something about how I will not abuse my powers and such.[/thinking]

(Pretend the following quote is written in some important looking paper, to be recited when sworn into office)
quote:
"I solemly swear to you, that I will not abuse my powers and I will only use them to further the truth and justice in Pokadoodle.
As second in command, should something happen to our wonderful and gracious leader, I will step up and act in her place as the new Zanark in hopes to make her proud. The End."

Posts: 97 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Your...um..."application" has been accepted. I appoint you the head of media and mass communications as well as my first mate, or prime minister.

The Zanark has spoken!
All hail! And um...keep them cookies coming in...*squeaks her rubber ducky* (Nellie and I have them all over the bathtub [Big Grin] )

suminonA
Member # 8757

I hereby send this first official Sumitpo communicate to the head of Pokadoodle's M&MC. To be distributed without discrimination.
“The seeds of greatness are planted in Pokadoodle foundations! The soil is full of … er … nutritious substances. The rain will do the rest [Big Grin] ”

I also have another suggestion. In my (high) quality of Sumitpo, I offer to make the forecasts. From weather forecasts, to horoscopes, oracle past/present/future predictions and such. [Note: I leave the Prophet Business to those interested in preaching.]

I sustain my suggestion with a simple reason: You better have optimistic forecast and be glad when it comes true, than have pessimistic forecast and then be not so glad when it comes true. [Big Grin]

Your true Sumitpo, A.

Nellie Bly
Member # 9129

- posted      Profile for Nellie Bly   Email Nellie Bly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by suminonA:
[QB] I hereby send this first official Sumitpo communicate to the head of Pokadoodle's M&MC. To be distributed without discrimination.
“The seeds of greatness are planted in Pokadoodle foundations! The soil is full of nutritious substances. The rain will do the rest [Big Grin] ”

This slightly edited quote had been approved to be distributed to all inhabitants of Pokadoodle.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nellie Bly
Member # 9129

The following article was taken from the "Pokadoodle Press," the official newspaper of Pokadoodle, which is now hiring for all positions.

quote:
Rebel Rumblings on Rockity
Pokadoodle Isle- In an interesting move the Zanark has expanded her reign. The nearby eastern island of Rockity has been colonized by citezens of Pokadoodle. But which citizens?
The Royal Zanark has gathered all known rebels and sent them to Rockity saying "Go, live there, be happy but don't get too cocky or we'll just have to blast you with our...um...pointy hats that shoot lasers." Wise words, oh Zanark. Such eloquence.
The movement of the rebels off Pokadoodle was proposed by Cheif Advisor to the Zanark, Tatiana. Whether or not the move will squash rebellion murmers or only add fuel to the fire, this reporter knows not. From Pokadoodle Palace, I'm Nellie Bly.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Takes careful notes of the goings-on, so as to preserve them for posteriors. Oh, and posterity.]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd use my rippling biceps to pound searing hot metal into nails, jewelry, and other needed blacksmith materials.

Plus I'd help to populate your new country. [Evil]

After all, if you've read First Meetings you would know that the most valuable resource is the womb. [Smile]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, is this an advanced or medieval country?

And AoD, may I be your king, or at least one of your many consorts?

[ February 01, 2006, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Advent 115 ]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
Wait, is this an advanced or medieval country?

And AoD, may I be your king, or at least one of your many consorts?

Well, as Pokadoodle's Zanark and most eligible bachelorette, I can only make you my consort because I cannot choose a Kranaz after only a few days becoming Zanark. The whole wedding would take forever and our budget is limited due to all the new departments and payrolls. Not to mention how busy you are with the new position of Head of Population Control. Perhaps after I have had enough consorts to have a variety from which to choose a Kranaz, we shall have wedding preperations, coronations and invitations, not to mention proclamations and complications, going around.

EDIT: As for Pokadoodle being advanced or medieval, lets leave that to the Chief of Techy Stuff and Sciency Stuff, Tatiana.

The Zanark has spoken!!
All hail.

*Returns to her bed where she has hot chocolate and a copy of the first edition of the Pokadoodle Press awaiting to be read.*

ElJay
Member # 6358

Alt, I would like to ask you to edit your last post in Newfoundlogic's Dad's thread. I know you have only the best of intentions, but you can't expect that nfl's Dad/family is reading all of the fluff topics on the forum, so they probably will have no idea what you're talking about. It looks nonsensical, and I feel that that thread is not an appropriate place for that kind of post. Could you please remove the reference to your game? Your last paragraph is very sweet, and I'm sure will be appreciated.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

We're super advanced, but we choose to live close to nature, just for fun. We have amazing-automated-cities with every comfort imaginable supplied, but right now we're all having fun playing "fort" in an enormous stone castle, and leaving the cities nearly empty.
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
*Makes fun of nature-loving hippies then stands on head and giggles*
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
I post yet again in this thread because NFL's passing has still not sunk in. I still cannot believe it...There isn't much I can do for him or his family, but I can say that he will be remembered in the Pokadoodle history books for all eternity as the Bringer of Enlightment and Thought. There are plans to erect a statue or memorial in his name. In fact, the New Found Logic Institute will be created in his name. The NFLI shall serve to further knowledge by establishing museums of all sorts throughout all of Pokadoodle.

I will always miss you, New Found Logic. We all will. If I knew where you were resting, I'd take you flowers. No matter where you are now, you are still a Hatracker. You will always be.

I understand ElJay, I moved it over here instead because of that reason. Is that better or should I just delete it completely? I really like the idea of this very simple tribute to NFL though.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Your last paragraph would be lovely in the other thread, and the other part is just fine here.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

quote:
"Go, live there, be happy but don't get too cocky or we'll just have to blast you with our...um...pointy hats that shoot lasers."
Dan_raven United Metropolitan Building Corp, or the big D.U.M.B Corp as its known, (nyse--Dumb!) is having a sale on "pointy hats that shoot lasers." By 3, get a cute ragamuffin fluffy animal/grenade for free.

Offer not valid in Rockity, Eastern Ebola, or parts of southern Utah.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Thanks for moving it, Alt. [Smile] I think it's just fine to have it here, and like Dag said, the last paragraph would be fine in the other thread as well.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

So does that mean that my mighty biceps will not be needed for blacksmith work?

Though I am happy about being the FIRST IMPERIAL CONSORT TO THE ZANARK!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

p.s. Don't worry my Queen, I will never betray your trust. [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
So does that mean that my mighty biceps will not be needed for blacksmith work?

Though I am happy about being the FIRST IMPERIAL CONSORT TO THE ZANARK!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

p.s. Don't worry my Queen, I will never betray your trust. [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]

Oh yeah, I forgot about you being the black smith. Go forth and create a tiara worthy of your Zanark.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Thanks for moving it, Alt. [Smile] I think it's just fine to have it here, and like Dag said, the last paragraph would be fine in the other thread as well.

I was dubious about posting it on the other thread as I expected reaction much like yours. The NFLI is something like the Smithsonian over in the real world, FYI.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I have built for you a giant statue made of Platnium and gems in your image.

I shall begin construction on shrines in your image, so that all may bow their heads to the floor before you on each new day. [Hail] [Hail]

I bow myself before you oh divine one. [Hail]

Advent 115
Member # 8914

I have completed your tiara my Queen, it is addorned with jewels of the highest quality and guilded in Platnium.

I have formed its curves to match the exquisite curves of your own divine form my Queen. [Hail]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
I have built for you a giant statue made of Platnium and gems in your image.

I shall begin construction on shrines in your image, so that all may bow their heads to the floor before you on each new day. [Hail] [Hail]

I bow myself before you my emperess. [Hail]

Aww. *touched*
I'm very flattered that you have chosen to do such things for me, dear consort. You are also given the assignment of making a statue and memorial for NFL to be built in the gardens of the NFLI.

The Zanark would like to know something...who is in charge of monetary records and such? We don't even have an official currency yet...Should anyone apply for the position, I'd like to inform you that the currency used in Pokadoodle shall be the Pokadilly. Spacebucks, Visa, Mastercard, and pencil shavings are legal tender too.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

I suggest that all currency bear your devine image.

And I shall begin construction at once on the Memorial to the NFL.

Are there any other tasks you would set upon your most humble servent? [Hail]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
I suggest that all currency bear your devine image.

And I shall begin construction at once on the Memorial to the NFL.

Are there any other tasks you would set upon your most humble servent? [Hail]

I'd just like to clear things up a little, with NFL, I meant New Found Logic, not the Football League.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

But of course devine one, I pay close attention to all your devine words. [Hail]

I have completed enough shrines so that every home in your empire may have one, so that all may bow their heads to the floor before your devine image. [Hail]

And devine one, may your subjects see an image (photo) of you, or are we unworthy to see your true form. As it would blind us with its beauty. [Hail]

Raventhief
Member # 9002

*parodies prostrating people then begins to juggle eggs*
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I have completed the statue to the New Found Logic Memorial. Behind its visage their are thousands of crying Comp users set in stone.

I bow before you divine one. [Hail]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I am most grateful for your loyalty and services, Advent. I shall see you in my quarters this evening.
The Zanark has spoken.

Raventhief
Member # 9002

*drops an egg on own head*
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.