FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Order of the Stick (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Order of the Stick
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
OOooooo....
It's getting good!

The big plot is being revealed!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, my reaction was "Big Plot? Meh."

I actually like my plot in small doses in webcomics.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Would you believe that I check that site everyday, all because of some random hatracker posting something about it a while ago?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That's awfully silly of you, considering that it only updates three times a week. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
TD: The best thing about Order of the Stick is that it works on both levels. It works from day to day, as a continuing unrelated rambling plot and also as a big plot.

I am a fan, despite my total lack of D&D knowledge.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I found today's "light on the funny" that I've come to expect from TOOTS. It's usually the funniest thing I read.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
"Would you believe that I check that site everyday, all because of some random hatracker posting something about it a while ago?"

<-- Doesn't know how to do the fancy quote thing.

ME TOO!!

And not just OOTS, I was suckered into two webcomics by Hatrack which now consume like 5 minutes everyother day that I can never get back.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
...let's all go to the lobby...let's all go to the lobby... let's all go to the lobby! And get ourselves a snack! Snackrack!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Would you believe that I check that site everyday, all because of some random hatracker posting something about it a while ago?"

"That's awfully silly of you, considering that it only updates three times a week."

Tis not! It should be updated every day. So it's only natural to check daily.
What's silly is that it only updates three times a week. Definitely an unnatural state of affairs. I mean why bother even having seven days in a week if four of them are gonna be wasted?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's was lame.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's was hilarious. I was happy to see he got the funny back.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this compic, I check 4 times a week...but only because I forget what day of the week it is sometimes. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

It seems to always be late. It's supposed to update on Monday, Wednsday and Friday, but in reality it's usually a day later.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Today's was lame.

You got me all excited thinking that he'd posted a Thursday strip for some reason.

I didn't think that yesterday's strip was lame, but I'm impatient to find out what's going to happen next, so I generally feel frustrated when strips don't further the main story. If that had been an existing strip in a huge unread-by-me strip archive, though, I'd have liked it quite a bit. I'm definitely that way with PintSize centered Questionable Content episodes for exactly that reason.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not usually.....he is mostly on time, I find, although if you are checking in a modnight.... [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
Would you believe that I check that site everyday, all because of some random hatracker posting something about it a while ago?

Oh yes. Me too.
I've got a smattering of D&D knowledge, probably less, but still enjoy it.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
It seems to always be late. It's supposed to update on Monday, Wednsday and Friday, but in reality it's usually a day later.

The author has actually said that when he says it updates MWF he means the comic will be up by midnight (I forget which timezone) on the day in question.

The part that makes that frustrating is that sometimes it's posted early and so we keep checking throughout the day MWF anyway. [Big Grin]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

You are all so cute.
I just want to eat you up.

Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
You are all so cute.
I just want to eat you up.

Oh, bite me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

The war begins!!!
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Telperion the Silver you are a bad person.

I didn't know this comic, and now I am compelled to view all 422 eposodes. Curses...

[Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Anti-maven, you should have gotten hooked the last time Telp posted it. I only had to read through 200 comics or so, then. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, in addition to the awesome OOTS, I'm really enjoying Erfworld now.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody else really enjoy the ongoing red roach subplot? (And I use the term "plot" for lack of a better.)
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for Erfworld to build up more of an archive before I start with it. I really love sitting down and reading through a couple hundred strips in a given comic at a time.

And yes, I love the demon roaches!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

- posted      Profile for Counter Bean           Edit/Delete Post 
Some random Hatracker indeed...
Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

I hardly notice the roaches, I do find the evolution of the evil cleric enjoyable. It will be good to see how the fight turns out, it looks to me as if the potions of Heroism will be the tipping point, they should give the city a numerical advantage in rate of killing that will put them over the top. Then the Shogun that fled will no doubt come back and make a power grab. It is fun fun fun...
Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the roaches. They're my favorite secondary characters.

I too had to go back and read 200 episodes when I was first exposed to it on sakeriver.

Elan seems to be living the good life at the moment.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Today's had me kicking my feet in glee as I laughed.

Absolutely awesome.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Big melee scenes! Big melee scenes!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Hehehehhe... [Big Grin]
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

I can see that the writer is really pulling for the bad guys, elementals as projectiles. Pretty cool.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Ti is too soft as a pure element to do any damage. It needs to be alloyed with steel to make it hard.

Passing grade in chemistry, indeed.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You should fix the wiki entry then:

quote:
The two most useful properties of the metal form are corrosion resistance, and the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal. [4] In its unalloyed condition, titanium is as strong as steel, but 45% lighter.[5] There are two allotropic forms[6] and five naturally occurring isotopes of this element; 46Ti through 50Ti with 48Ti being the most abundant (73.8%).[7] Titanium's properties are chemically and physically similar to zirconium.

Commercial (99.2% pure) grades of titanium have ultimate tensile strengths of about 63,000 psi, equal to that of steels alloys, but are 45% lighter.[5] Titanium is 60% heavier than aluminium, but more than twice as strong[5] as the most commonly used 6061-T6 aluminium alloy. Certain titanium alloys (e.g., Beta C) achieve tensile strengths of over 200,000 psi (1.4 GPa). [19] However, titanium loses strength when heated above 430 °C (800 °F)[5]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine has a titanium wedding ring. He told me if he put his hand in a garbage disposal, the ring would be fine. I told him it was probably best not to test that theory.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

BTW, titanium rings being dangerous because EMTs can't cut them is a myth. I looked into one, but went with platinum instead.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
<scratches head>

Now I want to know what that chemistry teacher showed me, because I was able to bend it quite easily. I must be mistaken, because all of the links I've read state that Ti is quite hard.

I've been operating under the assumption that Ti wasn't hard, it was just added to steel to give it a light weight and flexibility. I suppose it still does that, but I didn't realize it was hard in and of itself.

Stupid confusing chemistry teachers...

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Does titanium anneal like copper does? If you heat copper until it glows, then let it cool off slowly, it will be bendable between your fingers. Maybe the teacher was demonstrating that?
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Defend the walls!
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

Paper beats Rock!
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*runs around excitedly*

It's getting good. [Smile]

Counter Bean
Member # 10176

Made me mad last night, I stayed up past midnight to catch it and it did not go up until this morning some time!
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

Today's Erfworld contains a mention of Ender's Game!

I think this is a really clever comic that's definitely going places in its completed form, and what better proof than citing Ender.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Dag...I know a few EMT's who would really disagree with you, and from personal experience.

A lot of jewelers won't make titanium toe rings, even upon request, because of it as well.

And I have a Ti wedding band on right now.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

EMT?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
EMT = Emergency Medical Technician, aka "those guys in the ambulances"
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Kwea, the two EMTs I've spoken to about this (who have experience with it) as well as almost all the sources I can find on the web would disagree with the EMTs you know. The stuff can be cut with a dremmel tool. It's harder than steel, but it's still cuttable.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Today's strip made me gasp out loud and then grin hugely.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Me too.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I can't figure out how Rich is able to make two red dots and a bunch of criss-crossy lines convey "comically alarmed skull," but he pulled that one off. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.