FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why the Creation? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why the Creation?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran across a better answer for this one:

quote:
What makes Humanity so much better that animals?
My source tells me that human superiority stems from the fact that we spend a far smaller proportion of our time licking ourselves.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's brilliant. Now if you could prove whether that's a cause or an effect, you might even re-open the ID debate. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Speak for yourself! [Razz]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so the big bang theory (as far as I grasp it) is that everything was all happening at the same time, in the same place. And then boooom we have time, and space. Or, "God created the universe" if you prefer.

The way I look at it, we -are- God, as in, everything, taken as a whole, is God. Just as the cells of your body are individual and also a part of you, we, as a whole, are God.

So, God didn't create, as an act that he was removed from, God simply is. The alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

As to his ignoring us, I say, freewill, it's an absolute. We made this world as it is, and the random suffering isn't God's will, but the collective repercussions of man's will.

Freewill is a b*tch, but hey, it's prolly better than being a robot.

*tink tink* My 2 cents.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

- posted      Profile for Alex Johansen   Email Alex Johansen         Edit/Delete Post 
According to one story that I read, (I think it was frmo the bible, or at elast that's what I want to say, but it may have been just an ancient india- errr *politically correctified mode* NATIVE-AMERICAN folk tale)

He got lonely. Now time for me to majorly misquote this.

It was dark. And so God made the stars.
And hark! It was light!
God was lonely. And so God made the planets and the animals.
The animals were boring as heck though, so God created people. But they were all created in his image and had no free will. So he let them go free with their own genes and free will.

That's why he "chooses" not to "intervene" he figures, "Hey I gave them a paradise, if they choose to destroy it, then that's their problem"

But I'm sure while he's watching us right now, in the world we live today, he must be crying.

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

- posted      Profile for Alex Johansen   Email Alex Johansen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Einstien:
Because he/she/it/ thinks its funny when we screw up.

Hah, that made me laugh.

quote:
Originally posted by smitty:
Because he feels like it. Do you honestly think you could understand how a deity thinks and/or feels?

I doubt it. He is probably at least as "brilliant" as Jane is. Able to think of over 250,000 things at once with the same attention that we have trying to think of one thing. (then again, we only use about a fourth of our potential, and about 10% of our brains. We really need to find a harness for our bodies and brain, like opening the gates of life and stuff like Rock Lee does in Naruto, but I'm sure noone here knows what I'm talking about [Frown] I'm such a dork.)

quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
It was a science project. He had to create a universe in 7 days. Unfortunately, he only got a C+.

LOL! Oh man, that's a good one.

quote:
Originally posted by Geekazoid99:
So you want more Philishophically mindboggeling questions

Ok

What is the point of life?
To reproduce.

What makes Humanity so much better that animals?
We have thumbs.

Why do we always think that the world was created for us?
Because it wasn't created for the kittens obviously.

why do we need to pray to God?
The last time someone held a door open for you, did you not say thanks? the last time someone had a surplus of something, did you not ask to purchase or borrow it? (we thank god in our prayers and usually ask him to look out for others)

why don't any miricles happen any more?
Because we ran out of Miracle Money, God has a strict Cash-up-front policy, ya know.

Why do the good live bad lives and the bad live good lives?
Nice guys finish last, nice guys arent aggressive, plus, us good guys can roll witht he punches, but bad guys jump off sky scrapers.

Why do we buy thing from commercials that make not a single bit of sence?
What? ok now this questio is totally off-topic, and its because were retards, duh.

Why don't scientist write a version of the bible in a scientific sence (red sea split=typhoon)?
Because, there are a few things in the bible that really DON'T have an explanation.
Where did THE STORY begin? Excuse me, did you ever read Children Of The Mind?!?! "THE STORY" began at the ebggining of time, but tehre is no beggining of time, it always has been and always will be, tehre was no creation, everything ALWAYS existed, because if you ask how or when something was created and get an explanation, youll be a smartass and say "well then how did that come to be *dorky snort-laugh*"

Why doesn't God just smite the wicked ones right off the earth?
Because, that would be an intervention, like Quang-jao(not sure how to spell it) believed, the Gods must not reveal themselves and must always use a disguise for their actions, why do you think there were so many hurricanes lately?

Why is there Entropy?
Because people are seriously freaking insane. And most of society is made up of idiots that try to act intelligent, so they use big words like "entropy" to try to make it seem like they know what they are talking about, when really most of us have no grasp of anything at all.

Why do we believe ther must be an end to it all?
Because some people practice pessimism in their daily life.

What happenes after death?
A) You don't exust anymore,m your soul, brain, body, spirit, all just cease to function, the end of your life is the end of your story, you literally cease to exist in any state of mind and onyl in other peoples memories, i think heaven was faked up as a reward system for people to be "good" but if your truly good, you dont need to be rewarded for it, it is its own reward
OR
B) you go to heaven and live happily ever after forever and ever and according so Islam you get 72 virgins.

why do we have to die?
Because we would eventually get breod of life, and we could never go to heaven if we didn't die, plus, the world would overpopulate so fast, no matter how many people are alive, more people have died, that is an eternal fact.

Why is there life are we in a big picture heading for a united cause sometime in the future or are we here just to have fun?
have fun, duh, you live to find love, happiness, and freiends, then you die and lose it all, I think this question was made just to mock whoever even reads it.

Why is money considered the most valuble thing?
power is considered the most valuable thing, which is wrong, friendship is. But people like to relate a career to success, and money to power, so everyone wantsw to be successful and powerful.

Why are we so selfish?
The will to live, man. We have to ensure that our genes survive and others don't. I mean seriously, did you even read any of the Ender series? It's in our genetic code.

Is there a point to life?
I've answered this about 3 times now. Get good friends, laugh, have fun.

[ February 01, 2006, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Alex Johansen ]

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

[Frown]

noone ces abou my views?

ok fine [Razz]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even understand what that sentence means. And your previous post is in serious need of some paragraph breaks.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it says 'no one has anything to say about my views'.

Or thats my interpritation.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

What is the point of life
There is no point, so make the most of it while you can.

What makes Humanity so much better that animals
Define "better." I like humans more than animals because humans are generally more intelligent.

Why do we always think that the world was created for us
Because we're pretty self-centred.

why do we need to pray to God
We don't need to, but a lot of people like to because they find it comforting.

why don't any miricles happen any more
Some of us think that no miracles ever happened.

Why do the good live bad lives and the bad live good lives
I don't accept that this is true in the general case. If it is, though, then I guess the bad are just luckier and smarter than the good.

Why do we buy thing from commercials that make not a single bit of sence
Because commercials are designed to make us want to buy things, and they're often effective at conveying that message.

Why don't scientist write a version of the bible in a scientific sence (red sea split=typhoon)
There's no good reason to do so.

Where did THE STORY begin
According to my current scientific understanding, "with the Big Bang," since before the Big Bang there was no time.

Why doesn't God just smite the wicked ones right off the earth
I don't believe that god exists. If I'm right, that's why there is no divine smiting.

Why is there Entropy
It's part of how the universe works.

Why do we believe ther must be an end to it all
We do?

What happenes after death
Nothing, in my opinion.

why do we have to die
Well, our bodies eventually wear out. When they can't function anymore, we die.

Why is there life are we in a big picture heading for a united cause sometime in the future or are we here just to have fun
You already asked this question, and I already answered it.

Why is money considered the most valuble thing
It isn't. But if I were to accept your premise: because possessing more of it usually helps improve a person's standard of living.

Why are we so selfish
Because it helps us to survive.

Is there a point to life
That's the third time you've asked a variation on this question. Why are you so hung up on it?

P.S. If you're genuinely interested in exploring some of these questions, I suggest studying thermodynamics, biology, and the history of philosophy. For starters.

[Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

Noooo, I had meant to say "noone cares about my views" but these stupid keyboards mess me up, and I was already late for class, so I had to leave.

PS: Edited my Q&A with answers

Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
BECAUSE i'm a crazy idiot who doesn't read over his writing

2. because that question bothers me everyday of my life

sorry for some of the bad questions i was in a rush i had done a good one before but when i tried to get it through it didn't and i by accidentaly had to start all over again

For those who don't know what entropy means it means everything going from order to chaos

Also i rather go by my own meaningless question asking and blowing peoples minds out

Really this works so much better in person and doing it with math instead

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

For those who don't know what entropy means it means everything going from order to chaos

I seriously doubt that ANYONE who's posted in this thread didn't already know what entropy is. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Johansen:
then again, we only use about a fourth of our potential, and about 10% of our brains.

Not true.
NOT true.
NOT true.
NOT true!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Alex was just speaking for himself. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also i rather go by my own meaningless question asking and blowing peoples minds out
I don't know how to say this more gently (I wish I did), but this repitition of phrases hinting that we are all somehow amazed or "blown away" by these questions is simply laughable. It's kind of fun to try to give one-sentence answers to the great questions that have puzzled mankind since the dawn of sentience, but, honestly, most of these questions HAVE been around in one form or another since that dawning of intellect and they might astound and amaze someone hearing them for the first time, but that's not the audience here.

I'm going to stop before I just get sarcastic and mean. But PLEASE stop trying to imply that just by asking these questions you are somehow being original.

quote:
So...um...posing these questions is a regular thing with you? And you do it with math instead of using spoken language?

I won't go so far as to say that it can't be done. I will go out on a limb, however, and say that it probably can't be done well.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I’m more interested in the questions themselves, rather that the answers [Big Grin]

I mean, when somebody asks “What do you mean Santa Clause is fake?”, the question gives you some info about that somebody, doesn’t it?

So I’ll allow myself to “analyse” these here questions [Big Grin]

[Disclaimer : Geekazoid99, based on the way you presented these questions (the “Also i rather go by my own meaningless question asking and blowing peoples minds out” –attitude) I pick up the gauntlet, and try to be a worthy Knight. Let’s just say that this is what these questions mean to me. If you take these questions very seriously, and feel offended by the next “analysis”, just say so and I’ll delete/edit this post [Wink] ]

*puts on white coat*

1)What is the point of life
This question arises form one of the following possible situations:
a) You’ve been told that there must be a point of life, but haven’t been told what it is.
b) You’ve been told what the point of life is, but didn’t agree/accept.
c) You just came upon this question by yourself.
Given the rest of the questions, I’d say (b) is the more likely one. If you didn’t believe the ones before, why ask others? Just come up with your own answer.

2)What makes Humanity so much better that animals
If you believe that Humanity really is much better than animals, you’re just looking for a confirmation, and you will discard any proof against that belief. Just think that Dolphins don’t ask such questions.

3)Why do we always think that the world was created for us
Same as before. Egocentricity, megalomania, self-centred point of view. What if the premise of creation itself (see topic title) is wrong?

4)why do we need to pray to God
After you make a choice (accept a programming), you jump to conclusions. When conclusions are not “reasonable” you look for justification. Your programming is obvious.

5)why don't any miricles happen any more
You need proof for your beliefs. You’d like to have lived ages ago. But maybe you did! [Razz]
As for now, you just happen to overlook the biggest miracle of all: new life.

6)Why do the good live bad lives and the bad live good lives
You know a good person (it may be yourself) that lives bad in your opinion. Add unfounded extrapolation and wishful thinking. You get question (6).

7)Why do we buy thing from commercials that make not a single bit of sence
You bought a useless overpriced product at least once. Placing the blame on others.

8)Why don't scientist write a version of the bible in a scientific sence (red sea split=typhoon)
You believe that people are reasonable, that true beliefs can be changed using reason. And you truly believe that.

9)Where did THE STORY begin
Using mismatch concepts to solve the wrong problems. Science has an answer, Religion has an answer, You just wonder how come you don’t have one.

10)Why doesn't God just smite the wicked ones right off the earth
Programming + Wishful thinking + Over righteous self image.

11)Why is there Entropy
Wrong question. It’s not “why is there …”, but “how does … work”, “what does … mean (for the Universe)”, “how … affects the Universe”. Then fill in the blanks with “time”, “matter”, “energy”, ”entropy” etc. and you get scientific.

12)Why do we believe ther must be an end to it all
Jumping to conclusions. Asking for un-provable “demonstrations”.

13)What happenes after death
Insecurity. Unsuccessful programming (might be just a bug).

14)why do we have to die
Unrealism. Looking for a justification of the implacable.

15)Why is there life are we in a big picture heading for a united cause sometime in the future or are we here just to have fun
Same as (1), just more “elaborate”. Potential short-term-memory-loss disfunctionality.

16)Why is money considered the most valuble thing
Seeking justification for materialism. Let’s just get back to Entropy …

17)Why are we so selfish
Seeking the “solution” for a false “problem”. Irrelevant.

18)Is there a point to life
Back to (1). Confirmation of short-term-memory-loss. [Big Grin]

*disposes of white coat*

So, Geekazoid99 I hope that now your own mind is blown up. [Razz] I challenge you to analyse my “analysis” [Wink]

Have fun!

A.

PS: there is a thread in search of the interesting (ultimate) questions. I won’t post a link here, you’ll find it if interested. Just a tip: UQQ

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

No, I heard my science teacher or someone say it, and now I know it's false!

PS: After reading suminonA's post I reread the questions the Geek posted, and noticed they are all pessimistic and designed to make us question are life, hey, maybe if we weren't so confident of our answers we might go crazy from the mere questions and try to commit suicide thinking that life is just a series of answerless questions, therefore I place Geekazoid under citizen's arrest for attempted murder.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

You're all, like, twelve years old and attending the same school, aren't you?
suminonA
Member # 8757

* puts on blue coat *

Interesting question...

* disposes of coat *

[ROFL]

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I was including you in the question. *grin*
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Actually, that isn't correct.

Since you go on to say that you like to blow people's minds with math, here is a short mathematical primer on entropy. It's also important to note that when you're talking about entropy, "disorder" doesn't mean precisely the same thing as it does in common usage. A highly disordered system does not have to be chaotic, though the two are generally related.

quote:

What this suggests to me is that you're lazy. [Razz] You ask lots of questions that people have spent thousands of years thinking about and writing about over the course of human history, but you express no interest in exploring this treasure trove of information. I think that's too bad: there's a lot of really good stuff out there. [Smile]

Also, I agree with Bob.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I was including you in the question. *grin*

Thanks. I wouldn’t have it any other way. [Wink]

* returns to playground *
A.

Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
Really i do care about the answers i want to understand but i don't have the time or the access to such abundance of information

About the entropy thing i heard that description from a friend and used it there but i sort of understand it

also i never claimed that any of my questions were original in any way i just ask them because that is what i think about when i'm not doing anything

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Time is a constraint I understand. I hope you get the opportunity to study at least some of it in school, though. When I was in engineering school I took philosophy courses as electives and enjoyed them thoroughly. [Smile]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has access to an abundance of information.

They're called libraries, and they're free.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

Then do you have any good books to suggest to get me started
twinky
Member # 693

I went through most of an anthology called Classics of Western Philosophy, among other texts. It was a pretty good and comprehensive anthology. [Smile]

Added: It would be hard to read on your own without classroom support, though, because it basically just presents the original texts translated to English. Still, some of the stuff -- Anselm, Aquinas, Hobbes, Locke -- is comparatively comprehensible. [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.