FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Six more weeks of winter...and other superstitions

Author Topic: Six more weeks of winter...and other superstitions
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Puxatawney Phil saw his shadow.

Even though I don't believe in his predictive abilities, I still get a little "let down" when I hear that we're going to have six more weeks of winter. Silly really.

I was trying to come up with other superstitions that affect my mood this way, and drew a blank. Anyone?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Friday the 13th?

*evil laugh*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have the brooding suspicion that Phil might be right this year. We, in PA, have had the mildest winter I can remember. We had several 60 degree days in January. The last time that happened was in 1996, and we got 24 inches of snow in February. There were piles of snow in the parking lots well into May that year.

Edit: I've just been corrected by co-workers that it was 35-40 inches of snow in Feb. of that year. [Eek!]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
It always makes me think about the movie with Bill Murray.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Our big snow in 1996 was March 20 somethingth, after spring break. This is Indiana.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Friday the 13th always has a slightly festive feel to it, to me.

I went a little out of my way to avoid walking under a ladder today, but I view that superstition as being pretty well founded (in much the same way that "it's bad luck to park your car near a 'Caution: Falling Rocks' sign" would be, were it a superstition).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Up here we haven't really had winter yet anyway. But then again, we have our own groundhog.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, you do know that he "sees his shadow" 90% of the time, and is only correct 25-39% of the time, right?

Anyway, Chuck says it'll be an early spring, and his stats are much better. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Edit: I've just been corrected by co-workers that it was 35-40 inches of snow in Feb. of that year
In upstate NY, in the town I grew up in, the average snowfall for February is 36.5 inches, so no sympathy there [Wink] .

In Omaha, we've barely had any snow and have had several days in the 50s and even 60s this winter. Its really more like late fall here so far. Its the mildest winter I've ever experienced, outside of the winter I spent in San Diego.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
The vernal equinox falls on March 20, whether or not any overgrown rodent sees his shadow or not. So, there will be either 6 more weeks of winter, or a month and a half of winter.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, there will be either 6 more weeks of winter, or a month and a half of winter. [/QB]
But which? That's what I can't figure out.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Alaska. We have more than six weeks of winter left, and the interactions of some rodent with a light source have nothing to do with it.

quote:
The vernal equinox falls on March 20, whether or not any overgrown rodent sees his shadow or not. So, there will be either 6 more weeks of winter, or a month and a half of winter.
We also scoff at your didactic calendrical defintions of the seasons. Come up here after March 20th and try to tell me, through your chattering teeth, that spring is here, as I laugh while you slip and fall on the ice while trying to dodge my snowballs. [Razz]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
I've just been corrected by co-workers that it was 35-40 inches of snow in Feb. of that year. [Eek!]

The fun part of that February was that we'd get a 6-12 inch snow and then two days later there'd be an ice storm. My mom and I would ice skate on the snow in our backyard until it got too high.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We also scoff at your didactic calendrical defintions of the seasons. Come up here after March 20th and try to tell me, through your chattering teeth, that spring is here ...
Yeah, those "calendar" seasons are so misleading. I was really frustrated a couple years ago, after carefully planning my Spring baby, that I was 8 months pregnant in 90 degree weather - in March. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
Groundhog's Day is always my least favorite day that American's remember.

I think it is so stupid. If everyone felt how I feel, we'd soon forget the tradition altogether.

I am a Scrooge about Groundhog's Day. Bah, humbug!

Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in Winnipeg. Only 6 more weeks of winter always seemed like a pretty good deal.

I'm feeling ripped off in Toronto this year. Having days that feel like April in January is like having cake for dinner.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that this year's Spring begins at 1:26pmEasternStandardTime on 20March, 6weeks and 4 days from now...

[ February 02, 2006, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Six more weeks of what winter? It's almost 40 here. I still await winter.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We also scoff at your didactic calendrical defintions of the seasons. Come up here after March 20th and try to tell me, through your chattering teeth, that spring is here, as I laugh while you slip and fall on the ice while trying to dodge my snowballs.
Yeah, where I went to school in Montana our spring football game got snowed out 3 straight years... on the last weekend in April. And it's not near as bad there as it is in Alaska.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
We were promised a really cold winter (like they used to be) in the UK so I was looking forward to some real snow. It hasn’t happened, I’ve seen less than an inch of snow that quickly became slush.

I have no problem walking under ladders, although I do check that there isn’t anyone up there carrying anything they could drop first!

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope we have 6 more weeks of winter! I don't like being pregnant when it's hot. Also, I want a relatively cool Easter this year so I can wear the same outfit I'm wearing to my cousin's wedding in March (in Flagstaff) without being too hot. (Well, minus a few layers.)

Yes, I'm completely selfish.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.