FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » And this is why I love Facebook. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: And this is why I love Facebook.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a friend request from a girl who I haven't seen or heard from (or even thought about, for that matter) since we were eight years old. We were best friends in third grade, and then I moved away, and we sort of forgot about each other. Now, (a half hour after the friend request), we've sent five facebook messages back and forth, and we're both almost in tears just delving into nostalgia and sharing memories.

Sorry, Hatrack, I just had to share... I'm in an unbelievably sentimental mood right now. How I've missed her!

[Group Hug]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile]

So many happy threads. This is looking like it just might be a good day.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I love facebook, too.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
How far apart are you two? I mean as in States, miles or what?
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, a few of my friends on Facebook are from my early childhood in Oklahoma. It's great to find old friends and see what they are up to.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

She's probably about six hours or so away... I'm not sure exactly, but she's in MI and I'm in IN.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing happened to me with Myspace [Smile] ! Gosh, the Internet truly connects everyone.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had people I went to pre school with friend me, though they were in the same town till the end of high school, we rarely saw each other.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
We should make a facebook hatrack group... or... we could if we could figure out how to make cross college groups.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I fit in the collegish age range, but my lack of collegishness disallows participation. It hurts. [Frown]
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Aww, I'm sorry, airmanfour... but we can have our own party, right? BAH on facebook! [Smile]

Hatrack's better.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
If only there was a way to make a Hatrack group on facebook that transcends colleges. *sigh* If only. But you can still all friend me!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Facebook is also good for "stalking" cute guys.

....hmmmm, Raia? [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Facebook is also good for "stalking" cute guys.
I second that! [Wink]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Oh, hush, you. [Razz]

*mumbles incoherently about the problems with having people on Hatrack who actually know you around campus...*

airmanfour
Member # 6111

You guys are great!
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

Punches facebook in the.....hmmmm.
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Facebook is NOT good for stalking the hot guys!!! You can't look at people's profile until they add you! Meanies...
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Facebook wont let me on because my college isnt supported by the system because at Community college we dont get emails. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Unless they're on your campus, jennabean... [Wink]

Aww, Penguin, that sucks. [Frown]

Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. Facebook is the worst invention since I started college. I used to be able to get at least a semblence of work done... now, I spend all my time uploading user photos and browsing Facebook groups. Damn them and their incredibly addictive website of eeeeeeeeevil...

my name is peter and i'm a facebookholic.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
And see Tarrsk, that's when you join a Facebook group called "I have an assignment due soon but I'm still Facebooking." [Razz]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a Facebook group called "I'm kind of embarrassed to be on Facebook..."

I stayed away from it for so long! But once you cave you really cave and then it's just some bizarre addiction.

You know what's weird? When you see a girl on campus and you almost say hi because you think you know her and then you realize that you only recognize her because she's listed as That Hot Guy's girlfriend on Facebook. Oops.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Hahaha I know! Don't you hate when that happens?`
jennabean
Member # 8590

quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
Unless they're on your campus, jennabean... [Wink]

Ohh yes ma'am. Currently not checking out guys at the University of Hawaii. Have decided it is better to shield my eyes and pretend they aren't there rather than behold the sad phenomenon that is UH masculinity.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

It's also fun when you're sitting in your religious studies class and the creepy guy with whom you've spoken to maybe once in your life and who is not your Facebook friend brings up Neil Gaiman's American Gods and then turns to you and says, "Hey, you like Gaiman too, right? I saw you listed a book of his in your favorites on the Facebook."

How do you respond to that?

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

Aaack. I don't list any interests or write anything about myself on those things. I just talk to people!

And now that I think about it I've actually called people on things they write on Myspace or Facebook. If you put it there, it's for people to see, no?

Celaeno
Member # 8562

I didn't think it'd be an issue! Ridiculous people...

I mean, I know I do my share of stalking, but I'd never make a show of it. [Smile]

Celaeno
Member # 8562

Ooh, edit.

Yeah, it's for people to see, but you definitely don't expect someone you hardly know to bring it up, right? It just creates this semi-uncomfortable situation.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
What is Facebook?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Basically, it's MySpace for college students.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
What's MySpace?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I like Urban Dictionary's definitions.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

And these are its definitions for Facebook.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Those only apply to the new Facebook. The original facebook's definition would have been short and sweet:

"The hormonally charged youth equivilant of MENSA."

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*laugh*
jennabean
Member # 8590

Haha, yep. Edited. I am just always amazed at how much people put on the internet. I almost never fill out those profiles honestly and I relish the awkward moments posting your entire life on the internet creates. If someone said "I saw a picture of you doing such and such on your Facebook!!!" I'd be like "Of course you did, I put it there." or maybe "So did 400 other people." Then the awkward is in THEIR court, bwahaha.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

...okay, you have a good point. Compared to you, I have entirely too much personal information on my profile.

I discovered that my conservative seeming coworker has a crazy alter ego and I was going to call him on it yesterday until I realized that, hell, he could do the exact same thing to me. But it's silly of me to wish that the things on Facebook stayed on Facebook because I obviously put them there myself.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

I'm starting to fear the possibility of a multi-platform Union of Erosomniac's Exes.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

You probably shouldn't give yourself that much credit. You really aren't cool enough for us to do something like that.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

[Big Grin]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Correction: I'm starting to fear the possibility of what will look like a multi-platform Union of Erosomniac's Exes.
jennabean
Member # 8590

Plese date more girls so we can gain more power.
jennabean
Member # 8590

[Big Grin]
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, about facebook, there's some pretty strong evidence that it's a quasi front for the CIA to spy on students.

read the wikipedia article in full, or this
http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t34949.html

it's realyl sketchy, in the user agreement is basically says that they can show your information to third parties whenever they deem it appropriate. There are alot of stories where people have actually been prosecuted based on their facebook pictures (ie if it showed them drinking and they were on a dry campus they could get expelled).

however, in spite of all this.. I'm still on facebook...

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

So ero... how YOU doin'? [Wink]

(Just kidding)

erosomniac
Member # 6834

Raia, I can add you to the list for, uh, "posterity's sake," and then you can join the unholy alliance that's forming before my poor, tired eyes. [Wink]
jennabean
Member # 8590

Oh, please. You love it like I love you auctioning me off.
Raia
Member # 4700

Gee, thanks. I'm glad I mean that much to you. [Razz]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.