FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How long till chicken cooks?

Author Topic: How long till chicken cooks?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Debbie(Nelly Bly) and I (A to the D), want to bake some chicken tonight but we don't know how long to leave it in the oven or at what temperature. We wouldn't really add anything to the chicken, its just frozen breasts, so it's not like we are making some buffet entree or anything fancy, just typical college student cooking.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Bone in or boneless?
Will you be thawing them beforehand?

350 degrees is a good temperature to cook chicken at. The length of time will depend on the answers to the above questions.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... you should defrost them before you cook them. And then use the broiler-- rub garlic powder or whatever on them, place on foil-lined pan 4-5 inches from broiler, and broil about 5-7 minutes a side or until done (don't be surprised if the second side takes less time.) Inside stays moist, outside gets nummy.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would defrost the chicken first if you have time.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Or what KQ said. I actually almost posted "I'll just wait to KQ comes in because she is sure to have a foolproof method, and will probably explain it much better than I could!)
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, I don't like using the broiler on skinless chicken. Meat doesn't handle the high heat as well as skin does.

You can cook them frozen, but they'll end up tougher than if you defrost first. You can defrost quickly by running cold water over them.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How long till chicken cooks?
To get to the other side.

(just being silly)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I defrost in the microwave. And I've never had bad results with that method on boneless, skinless breasts-- just be careful not to overcook. It's pretty much equivalent to sautéing them, without the added fat, since they cook so quickly. They cook from the outside in and don't have time to dry out, although the outside gets a lovely firmness. [Smile] (Bone-in, I would agree that it should be baked instead.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I actually almost posted "I'll just wait to KQ comes in because she is sure to have a foolproof method, and will probably explain it much better than I could!
[Blushing] I'm flattered.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
170F for white meat.

If you don't have a meat thermometer, you'll just have to go by instinct and observation. A slit in the thickest part of the meat yeilding clear juices and no pink meat is the best measurement. Thawing will help speed up the cooking process immensely.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, Deb said that she wouldn't want to broil it, she'd rather bake it. I personally don't see the difference, but that is just her...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

If we were to cook at 350F, defrosted, bone-in, how long would it take approx?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

We are rumbly in our tumblies.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

That depends upon your oven, the type of cookware you use and several other small factors. The packaging of your frozen chicken breasts should have approximate times on it. Just be aware that those manufacturers usually over-estimate so that the meat is done. Albiet over-done.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, is it bone in or out? Thaw it first, it really does taste better. Put it in a Pyrex or Corningware dish that's been sprayed with non-stick spray (that's the glass or ceramic ones), I really do recommend seasoning with at least salt and pepper, and bake it at 350 F (it is indeed a good temperature) until done (use the method PC described to test it.) If you cover it, check it at about 12 minutes for 2 half-breasts if it's boneless, 20 minutes if bone-in. Then check periodically until done.

(Okay, it's bone-in. So ignore the "if boneless" parts. [Wink] Make sure you cover it if you want it to cook quickly. )

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

We have a small, around 9x24, baking pan and an electric oven. The bakeware is glass so we'll go with what you said.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and if it starts to smell done, go check it! Your oven may run hot, your breasts may be smaller than the ones I usually get, etc.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'm sorry. What I was implying is that I don't know exactly. Use kq's times as a reference. Just don't open the oven too much! You lose a lot of heat that way and it slows down cooking a LOT. Use the oven light until you think they're actually done and then try cutting a slit in the breast.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Thank you, KQ & PC!!!!!!
XOXOXOXO
from Debbie and I!

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

No prob

<cooked Chicken tonight>

<nailed it, as usual>

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting cooking method, that. What kind do you use?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Masonry.
rivka
Member # 4859

Cut, smooth, or knurled?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
So? Is it done yet? Was it good??
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Knurled, of course.
rivka
Member # 4859

I can see where that would increase surface area (and thus rate of cooking). But don't little bits of chicken get stuck in the grooves?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

*munch munch*
Can't talk, eating.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

That's why I dip them in lard first.

Yeah, nailed chicken is not kosher.

rivka
Member # 4859

That much I had already suspected.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Does it help that I stuff it with just Kosher salt before I start?
rivka
Member # 4859

Not really.

Although if the chicken were actually kosher, it would have already been salted.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Brined or salted?
rivka
Member # 4859

Soaked, then dried off and salted.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.