FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You know those superhero accoutrements I'm always adding to my list?

Author Topic: You know those superhero accoutrements I'm always adding to my list?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually, most of you probably don't, but long time members will know what I'm talking about.

In any case, there is finally one available that is actually within the realm of affordability! Woo-hoo! I hope to get myself a pair of Powerisers this summer.

Talk about a recipe for self-injury, huh? And yet they're so cool! 9 foot strides people, 9 foot!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.superdairyboy.com/pictures/poweriser/customer%20images/Jonathan_Kiester300.jpg
This is a good photo, I like the way the normal guy looks so calm, while the guy with the magic boots jumps higher than his head.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In My Name Is Earl, Earl got beaten up up by somebody with artifical legs like that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
So. Awesome.

Can I come play? I'll sign a liability waiver.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I've seen artificial legs that look like these. I assume that these employ a more powerful spring than those do.

Morbo, did you check out the customer pictures? I liked those better than the official ones. That picture of the girl in the right most picture is incredibly cool; I want to book along like that. And the incorporation of them into the costumes is cool too. I wish I could enlarge that one.

Edit--hey, look at that! That's the one picture on that page you can enlarge!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Sure ElJay! They'd be a fun thing to have at the next gathering I host, wouldn't they? I'd definitely be worried about people hurting themselves though.

I'm considering a road trip to try these things out, but their outlet is about 10 hours from me. Maybe if there is a gathering that they're roughly on the way to....

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw these online a while back; they certainly do look like a very effective way to break a bone or three. But also way cool [Wink] I saw a few videos of them in use, but the videos never showed anyone getting up onto them or down off of them, just the running and jumping around. Would you have to sit on top of a smallish stepladder or pull yourself up from a sitting position hand-over-hand on something, or what?
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I exceed the maximum weight for those things.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
10 hours in which direction? Remember, I've been talking about having one in July. . .
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The other direction, unfortunately.

Hmmm...aren't Leonide and Strider in Philadelphia? Mahanoy City isn't exactly close to Philadelphia, but it's close enough.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The artificial legs always looked awesome to me. I remember a runner whose time was really really good on these (can't remember if she lost her lower legs in an accident or if it was a congenital thing), and her fellow competitors were disgruntled at her advantage. *grin

Disability is always context-specific.

But now we, too, can run as fast! And jump higher, from the looks of it.

Awesome.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
We're about an hour outside Philly, Noemon.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I thought you were in that general area. Any interest in going to check these things out at some point in the future? It would probably be summer before I'd be able to get out that way, but it sounds like a lot of fun.
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap! I think this might be, sigh, true love...
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you suffering from a Napoleon complex, Jake?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
These are awesome! They definitely look dangerous. Make sure you have really good insurance, and it doesn't exclude stuff like this. But wow those look like so much fun! Visions of the future, when we all custom design our bodies to be whatever we want them to be like. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Nope Farmgirl, I just want to be able to leap 6 feet into the air and bounce along taking 3 meter strides. Can you imagine how much fun that would be until you broke your neck?
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
We'd absolutely be interested -- i know Strider would be ecstatic, those shoes are right up his alley. [Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Noemon, you're already a superhero!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I've always wanted to do is what's described in William Pene du Bois's great book The Twenty-One Balloons -- run along with a balloon that's almost (but not quite) strong enough to lift me off the ground. I weigh 170 pounds; so if I held on to a balloon with a lifting power of 160 pounds, then I'd weigh the equivalent of 10 pounds, and if I went and took a running jump, I'd float for a block or two before landing... [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another video of them in action. Definitely fun looking.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6270576068310246564&q=ryouko

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the guys I do fire dancing with has these and incorporates them into his fire juggling routine. So... freakin... cool. And they are actually really easy to get into and out of. You dont really need a ladder or anything, just a friend to lean on once you've got one of them on.
Noemon, have you ever worked with any other kind of stilts? My friend said that in some ways these were much easier than traditional stilts, and in some ways MUCH harder.
But yeah, really freakin cool. And amazingly sturdy and easy to walk in. He even goes dancing in them.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I think I see a really good reason to get fit.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, every superhero needs to look good in a muscle suit.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't. My superhero outfit is a t-shirt and a pair of flannel pants. I'm Slug Girl! And my superpower is napping.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Look.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

[ROFL]
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
oh man, I thought this being brought back mean Noemon actually got the Powerisers!
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Big Grin] I wish!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Me too, Tick! I totally thought we'd have video!
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you going to tell us you have them before or after you end up in the hospital?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw "The Tempest," Caliban wore a pair of those. I was seriously afraid he'd hit his head on the fairly low ceiling.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Probably be better to do it before hand, don't you think Zan? Who knows how long it'd be before I could type again, afterward.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Who needs 9foot strides when ya can have your own personal jetpack?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.