FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Robots replace small boys. . .

Author Topic: Robots replace small boys. . .
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
. . .as camel jockeys!

Well what did you think it was gonna be about? [Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As a Wired subscriber, I knew exactly what it was about before I clicked on the link.

What I find interesting is the reaction of the camel jockeys to having their "jobs" eliminated.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmm, CNN didn't cover that. I assume they weren't too happy?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread title reminded me of that short story where the couple has a son and gets a robot to be the son's friend, and the robot is such a perfect child that when their house burns down, the husband saves the robot instead of the son.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

That's. . . icky.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was the wife who saved the robot instead of the son. All I remember is that one spouse killed the other, and the story is him/her explaining what happened to the police.

Maybe it's Asimov.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely Asimov, and the son is a real brat.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I assume they weren't too happy?
No. Apparently most of the Arab nations which still engage in camel racing used children bought at auction, kidnapped from nearby African countries, or essentially sold into indentured servitude. Qatar has passed a law banning human slavery of any kind -- finally -- and is finally getting around to passing child labor laws. Unfortunately, in the case of many of these kids (especially the kidnapped ones), camel racing is all they know how to do, and they face being either turned onto the street with no useful skills or, in the cases of the youngest, actually forcibly returned to their home countries. Those who were sold by their own families are often those families' only means of support, and are distraught at the thought of not being able to "contribute."

It's an odd issue, really, because this is clearly the right thing to do -- but it opens up a whole 'nother can of worms involving the displaced jockeys themselves.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

:/

Did it say anything about what normally happened to the camel jockeys after they got too big/old to be competative? I mean, it said some were as young as four, I would imagine they wouldn't be able to race for many years before being considered too large.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.